Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Test Drive(s)

Old 06-15-2003, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heya pplz,

Well yesterday I had a bit of a day out... test drove 4 cars!!!

Let me go through the list and my opinions:

1. Nissan 350Z - Nice looking car. Looks a lot better in real life (and nice and close and personal! ) than on photos. Well designed interior, except for the stupid thing where the Sat Nav is supposed to go, but is not avail in Australia! . It's quite a harsh ride I thought, similar to the R and S2000 I guess? The power felt like it was coming in at about 3000rpm (3.5k may be?) but sorta run out of steam as soon as you hit 6,000. Redline is before 7k and I hit fuel cutoff a lot earlier than expected (ie at 6900 or may be lower) it was hard to tell, but certainly not what I expected. Another thing that I found weird was the fact that when you switch gears while accelerating, there is a bit of a lag ... (like a turbo I guess?) ... but for a 3.5L NA I did not expect that. The exhaust sound is quite nice and the engine can be quiet for cruising and a bit throaty for going hard.
Main concern: Gearbox was a piece of SPAM!!! Had a really hard time getting it into gear, and the clutch and the feel of the box felt clumsy and very rough. Would be a pain for frequent switching. Also made heel-toe and rev-matchig a nightmare.
Overall a nice car, but not for 71k. (I drove the Track version). I think it competes with the likes of the WRX, ITR, S15 (even tho it's not made anymore)... basically its about 20k too dear for what it is.

2. Audi TT Quattro Roadster (1.8l Turbo) - Loved this car. Really smooth in acceleration, a bit too quiet and soft suspension, but overall great car. Awesome gearbox... so smooth and easy to get used to quickly. The interior is fantastic, many many features (I esp. liked the wind defelector which can be raise or lowered witha button). Took a few roundabouts at high speeds and the control was good. THe back stepped out alittlke on one, but snapped back into place very easily. The price for that was 98k (demo model with 1000kms), but that was before I even negotiated, so I think it could come down quite a bit. Anyway, I think it's a really nice weekend car, not too harsh, but can still go well and is just a pleasure to drive. There is a bit of lag when accelerating (ie after you switch gears)... I guess that's normal for turbo? I think this is the first turbo car I;ve ever driven.

And here is where the real fun begins!

3. Porsche Boxster S (185kW) - This thing is the best car I've ever driven. It's just an amazing all rounder. It can be "humble" and just a cruiser, but when you hit the acc. hard, my god it goes!!!! I mean, it's what all the reviews are saying and more. For a couple more grand (7k) than the TT, you would definitely go for the Porsche! I am hooked. I am definitely going to buy this one soon.

4. Porsche 911 (964) Limited Edition - This is one of 5 remaining cars in Australia. Individually numbered, etc etc. 3.2l NA engine, 5sp gearbox... engine that would wake up your whole street!!!!! Serious collector's item... but a bit too harsh. Quite a nice car, interior is a bit 80s, but that engine sound!!! Oh man I'd love to have this one in the garage, but not a daily driver. That's the beauty of the Boxster S, it can be an everyday car, a weekend car for club drives like we did on Sat, and a sprint car. (I would need to learn how to handle that one tho!!! ).

Anyway, it comes down to this: Must get Boxster S. (and my birthday is coming up, and I like buying myself BIG prezzies )
Old 06-15-2003, 05:26 PM

Now that is a big present..

Nice review, and your opinion is greatly valued by me considering your overall experience with the Type R over the years. The boxster definately sounds nice. I just hope you'll be still coming to our social drive days in the future, and not snob us for the Porsche club by then!
Old 06-15-2003, 06:00 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MyYellowHonda
[B]Now that is a big present..
Old 06-15-2003, 07:14 PM

1. Nissan 350Z ... but sorta run out of steam as soon as you hit 6,000. Redline is before 7k and I hit fuel cutoff a lot earlier than expected (ie at 6900 or may be lower) it was hard to tell, but certainly not what I expected.

I think the redline (and cut-out) are both at 6,600rpm. Pretty low ... but imagine what potential if can have if they free up the breething and raise the redline to 7,200rpm (or around there). The thing would be a rocket.

Also the gearing is pretty short (ie. 60kph in 1st, 100kph in 2nd) and that combined with the low-redline probably caught you off guard.

The 'lag' comments surprised me as I'd expect the total opposite from a 3.5L engine that produces something like 360Nm of torque. Though, i have not driven one yet so I can't comment.

3. Porsche Boxster S (185kW) - This thing is the best car I've ever driven.

hehe, it's funny how people say that after they drive it. I came up with the same conclusion after driving it. btw, you might want to test-drive the 2.7L Boxster as that has surprising amount of power/acceleration. Cartainly enough to concider it so take one for a drive (with sports suspension of course) and maybe save yourself $10 - 20k.

I was not big on Boxster(s) untill I drove them.
Old 06-15-2003, 07:47 PM

Heh Iggy, sounds like you had a fun day. What year was the 911 Porsche and how much are they asking for it? How did it feel when you put the boot into it?
Old 06-15-2003, 08:01 PM

Originally posted by yellafellaS2000
Heh Iggy, sounds like you had a fun day. What year was the 911 Porsche and how much are they asking for it? How did it feel when you put the boot into it?
The 911 is this one:

It's a 964, really nice inside. Looked like a well taken care of car. ONly 60,000kms for a 10 year old car is good. When you give it some boot... it feels good!!! But not as fast as I excepcted. This one has 189kW (I think?) and it feels heavy, so I can understand it's reluctance to punch off quickly. It's a great car, and it's a VERY hard choice between the two...
The guy was willing to give it away for $105k (that's b4 neg.). Boxster S for 110k (b4 neg too)

David, I will have to take you up on the 2.7l idea... but it has a 5speed right?

The 350Z has a lot of potential. You could certainly get a chip for it and blast thru the 206kW limit and all that. No denying the fact... but then you are blowing your warranty out the water (may be other car companies actually uphold their warranty? ) ... but that's a different issue. The lag that I am talking about is hard to describe... may be I wasn't switching properly... but you know how when you switch at the red line in a VTEC car you get almost uninterupted surge fw? Well in the Z, it's not like that... you get this little delay before it keep going all out again (that's what it felt like).

The last time I got such vibes about a car as I did with the S was when I test-drove my ITR in Nov '00. I was driving a Ford Capri at the time ('93 model). Hehe... you can imagine the look on my face when I drove a REAL car.

They also have a 360 there ... I wonder if I should take THAT for a spin hehehehehe
Old 06-15-2003, 08:28 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Perhaps the lag in the 350Z was the DCS (or whatever the acronym is for the technology that means the car will make up for lousy drivers). It'll brake certain wheels to stop it all going pear shaped (although I think the 350Z looks a bit like a pear to begin with).
Old 06-15-2003, 08:59 PM

Originally posted by AusS2000
Perhaps the lag in the 350Z was the DCS (or whatever the acronym is for the technology that means the car will make up for lousy drivers). It'll brake certain wheels to stop it all going pear shaped (although I think the 350Z looks a bit like a pear to begin with).
Didn't think of that.. you could be right! Did u feel anything like it? May be I needed that NOS button
Old 06-15-2003, 09:12 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I turned it off. But then it's been a while since I drove it so I'm not sure.
Old 06-15-2003, 11:02 PM

David, I will have to take you up on the 2.7l idea... but it has a 5speed right?

Yep, 5-speed. Though, the first 3 gears are not that much taller (if at all) than in the Boxster S. Really it's missing the 4th gear compared to the Boxster S (and S2000) but besides that the gearing is pretty much the same. That means bellow 160kph (or so) the Boxster 2.7 is not really handicapped by the lack of 6th gear.

The 350Z has a lot of potential. You could certainly get a chip for it and blast thru the 206kW limit and all that. No denying the fact... but then you are blowing your warranty out the water (may be other car companies actually uphold their warranty? ) ... but that's a different issue.

hehe, I was thinking that Nissan would do this for 'us' :-) That is when the car get's an 'update' in year or so time then I'm hoping that they'll try and differentiate between the 'track' and 'normal' models a bit more (as it is it's really just the Brembos, bigger wheels/tyres and stiffer suspension). 'Freeing up' t he engine would be a good place to start with that ... oh, and drop 100kg from the weight :-)

Quick Reply: Test Drive(s)