Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Test pipes/Resonators

Old 06-11-2011, 05:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test pipes/Resonators

Hi guys so I'm looking at buying a test pipe/resonator to bolt up with my HKS HiPower exhaust and was wondering if I should be getting the 60mm or the 70mm?

Secondly

Is there a difference in performance/sound with a teat pipe and what brands do you guys recommend? And what will I need to complete this little mod? Million dollar question is also, is it really worth it?

Thanks guys

Btw if anyone has one and it's in good condition let me know thanks again
Old 06-11-2011, 05:48 AM

The 70mm apparently makes more power than 60mm even when your exhaust manifold collector is prob 60mm. I am still not convinced TBH but there is an article this guy did the dyno and elaborating the whole reason.

Test pipe is less restrictive than OEM cat period and more free flowing exhaust gas = more power. I have HFC installed and it works a charm. I can feel even at lower rpm the extra oomph. OEM cat is surprisingly restrictive. Not to also mention it amplifies your exhaust note and since you have HKS HiPower I bet it will sound sexier.

I have no exp with test pipe but after reading lots of people feedback you'll have to bear the smell which is logical since it has no restriction whatsoever. Hence my decision to go with HFC, which is best of both worlds with around 80% flow of a test pipe.

Not sure about brand, mine is Berk which has wonderful welds and the craftsmanship is amazing though can't put the OEM heatshield on since it'll rattle. I guess you get what you pay for.

J's test pipe can be fitted inside the OEM heatshield which is handy if those cops do the underbody inspection.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:25 PM

So r u saying I can fit the 60 or 70mm because on both ends they will bolt up to the standard headers? When you say "deal with the smell" do you mean the smell of fuel in the cabin? And do all rest pipes rattle?

Sorry but these are noob questions and don't have the search function on my iphone
Old 06-11-2011, 06:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The smell of carbon monoxide poisoning hahah it stinks.

yes a 60mm or 70mm will fit to your standard header.

I would advise you to go 60mm with your exhaust setup as the HKS is only a 60mm exhaust, if you get a 70mm testpipe it will have a bottle neck effect 60 -> 70 -> 60.. 70mm test pipes are good with a 70mm exhaust.

It's a decent mod prob net you afew kw however it's extremly illegal in aust.

It's a pretty simple mod and an exhaust shop can make one up for you for about $60 that's if they're willing to do it in the first place.

There is a increase in sound but not too dramatic, it will make your hks sound alot nicer. The sound is not much louder on idle it's more noticeable at WOT.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:36 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

"deal with the smell" of nitrogen dioxide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrogen_dioxide

Catalytic converters cause toxic nitrogen dioxide to break down into harmless nitrogen and oxygen.

But this is not all cats do:

Reduction of nitrogen oxides to nitrogen and oxygen: 2NOx → xO2 + N2
Oxidation of carbon monoxide to carbon dioxide: 2CO + O2 → 2CO2
Oxidation of unburnt hydrocarbons (HC) to carbon dioxide and water: CxH2x+2 + [(3x+1)/2]O2 → xCO2 + (x+1)H2O
Stop you getting a $10,000 fine

In my opinion they are a good thing and worth the 2hp they cost.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You just have a car thats so low they can't see under there
Old 06-11-2011, 08:02 PM

Yeah, great way to avoid police attention.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:07 PM

Thanks vyets for your input that's what I wanted to know now all I got to decide on is brand I prefer to get one already made from a reputable company so when it comes time to selling it I won't have issues.

AusS2000 that's interesting to know but I have no idea how that works I just think that this is my answer to Julia gillard's carbon tax lol

And

s2kadrenalin my car has had a 1.25 inch drop all round so I think I should be all good lol

Any places where u guys suggest buying these from for a reasonable price?
Old 06-11-2011, 08:32 PM

Funny you should mention carbon tax. When catalytic converters were introduced in the 80's British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher was opposed to them because although they converted noxious gases, what they converted them too was nitrogen and oxygen (basically air) and CARBON DIOXIDE. Seems Maggie was before her time.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AusS2000
Yeah, great way to avoid police attention.
I'd rather a defect for too low than a defect for a TP.

Quick Reply: Test pipes/Resonators