Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Test pipes/Resonators

Old 06-12-2011, 01:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok cool I just had a look at evasive and they have a CEL fix for $40

http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/me...a_S2000_Intake
Old 06-12-2011, 04:57 PM

I wouldn't spend money on a CEL Fix kit unless you find that you actually need one. I have been using an Invidia 70mm test pipe on my (track only) car for 3 years and i've never had a CEL. I can't smell anything with the roof on and the windows up - in fact, I don't recall smelling anything with the windows down either.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^This.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:43 PM

Ah ok fair enough well what I'll do is find a HFC first and then see if I develop a stink if anyone is aus is selling one please pm me
Old 06-12-2011, 06:58 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You won't get stink or CEL with a HFC.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:24 PM

Yeah I'm thinking not to hassle with a test pipe, but will it still change the tone of my exhaust by any chance with a HFC?

Also, will changing out the cat make any difference on fuel economy?
Old 06-15-2011, 12:58 AM

I've always wondered about the $10,000 or $20,000 no cat fine stories. They are always a friends brothers girlfriends dad etc who got caught and paid big, never a first hand account. I do beleive the legislation states a MAX penalty of $1,000s of $$ but not sure on the exact amount.

Wouldn't the police officer need to prove you don't have one? Many modern cars have the cats hidden in the headers, so looking isn't enough. Isn't it an EPA or whatever its called in Aus issue? Wouldn't your car be slapped with a defect or similar and need to be cleared before it is roadworthy again AND if your dumb enough to have no cat at the inspection and they prove it you then get the monster fine?

Anyone with actual knowledge on the issue? The only Aus story I've been able to find was a gtr owner where the cop looked under the car, saw a TP, took pictures and told him he would be getting a $1500 fine (I beleive it was in QLD), he then got a letter saying he needed to book his car in for an inspection, he called up and they told him if his car passes said inspection its only a small cost (less than $100 I think).

I've just purchased a J's 70rs and love it but want to quieten the 3-4k rpm drone so am looking at either a HFC or resonated TP. Still havn't decided if the 0.5hp and slightly less drone with the TP is worth the risk of such a big fine. It sounds stupid but atm I'm leaning towards the TP and I'll just weld some flanges on it to attach the OEM cat heatshield. Also I'm not worried about the smell in the slightest, I drove around in a catless 1971 Falcon for 4 years on my Ps and never smelt anything, even with it running in an inclosed garage. Surely the S will burn cleaner than that old pig. Congrats if you've read this far!
Old 06-15-2011, 01:10 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Your 71 Ford Falcon would have run on leaded petrol or required an additive. Cats were only introduced with unleaded petrol.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The smell isn't that bad anyway, ever started a car with a open header? It smells just like that

It's not a $10,000 fine it's UPTO

Yes it's a EPA issue and if your dumb enough to try and pass without a cat well you deserve the fine really.

Yeap just a quick look under the car you won't be able to tell, but if your looking for it then they most likley will know.

The oem cat heatsheilds are not 100% covered so you can see from the edges and notice there's nothing inside or just a straight pipe inside. The smell if they know what to smell, the sound as well. Also if they are out looking for defects they could have a heat sensor gun, though I've never seen or heard of any cops use this I've been told they have teh equipment and CAN use it.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rather than a physical inspection, wouldn't authorities use more sophisticated measures such as mobile emissions test equipment? On several vehicles, there are catalytic converters throughout the entire system, not just those one can see underneath the vehicle.

Quick Reply: Test pipes/Resonators