Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Thinking about a move to Sydney

Old 06-01-2006, 03:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thinking about a move to Sydney

Hey All,

My company has an opening for a position in Sydney Australia. The position is an interactive advertising manager for the region.

I figured this would be a great place to find out more about the city/country. Please be honest as you can w/ your responses. If all goes well, I hope to meet some S2K owners over there soon!

- My particular job will be servicing advertising accounts for major brands in Australia (to be nameless due to confidentiality clauses). Are there challenges being an American working in this capacity?

- How much growth is there in the Internet "World" in Australia? Are you guys seeing an small, medium, expotential growth of consumers being "connected".

- What are the living costs like in Sydney? Maybe a comparison for those who have lived in the States and in Australia.

- Public transportation pretty efficient?

Any other thoughts or inputs would be appreciated.

Kai
Old 06-01-2006, 04:01 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Chikai

I doubt you would have a problem being american in the advertising industry here. We think so little of the advertising industry being a yank is almost a prerequisite.

The internet industry in Australia is growing extremely fast. I would say it is a few steps behind the US but climbing nicely.

Sydney living costs are horrendous by most comparisons. Things like housing, car prices, and food will probably be a bit of a shock if you're not from New York.

Public transport is patchy. It really depends where you live and where your office is. If you're offices are in the city you shouldn't have a problem, but if they are in North Ryde, as so many evolving companies are, that's another story.

Please note: new S2000's cost $75K here.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by AusS2000,Jun 1 2006, 05:01 PM
Please note: new S2000's cost $75K here.
Oh lordy! $75k AUS?

Oooook....I guess I'll be Mt. Biking it everywhere.

Appreciate your input!

If all goes, right I hope to meet you ALL in a few months.
Old 06-03-2006, 03:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

chickai,
I lived in NC for 8 years and if you have ever been to Raleigh then you will know what sydney is NOT like! :-)

Like Aus said, cost of living is pretty high so you should be thinking along the lines of living in New York only in AUD$.

All cars are much more expensive here than in the US. AUD$30k doesn't get you much more than a fully loaded Corolla or an average Camry. Since the market is much smaller Car companies make up for the low volume with higher prices (less than 300 S2000s are sold every year!)
Old 06-05-2006, 05:51 PM

Hi Kai,
I moved to Oz about 18 months ago from England, I also moved with my company ( I work for Nokia). I work in the City and find the public transport pretty good from where I live (inner west), there are ferries and regular buses. I drive my S into work anyway as we have underground parking. Don't expect to hit VTEC that often though when driving around Sydney....
I think Australia is a great place to live and you wouldn't regret coming here.
The Aussies aren't so bad either ;-)

Oh and I paid $45000 for my 00 S2000 when I first got here. I probably paid a little over the going rate because I bought it from a Honda dealer. But the car is mint, low mileage and I've had zero problems with it, so I don't mind.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:52 PM

Hey Kai, the weather here is pretty good too, we should be getting our first snow falls shortly,

Just kidding , no snow here, that was just a hail storm last year.

Chris.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:19 AM

LOL...glad you folks have a good sense of humor.

I still can't believe how much S2000's cost in AUS. Too bad you guys drive on the other side, or I would have my S2K shipped over.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:59 PM

Two more questions for you auto-philes

1) What's a good website for looking at used cars?

2) What about motorcycles? Recommended for riding in the city?
Old 07-21-2006, 03:55 PM

have a look at carsales.com or drive.com
Old 07-21-2006, 04:01 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by chikai,Jul 22 2006, 08:59 AM
2) What about motorcycles? Recommended for riding in the city?
I got my license last week. I wouldn't make a habit of riding around Sydney. The roads aren't great and the drivers are worse. That said, I use a scooter for short trips tot he gym or to pick up groceries. Much more convenient than a bike.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a move to Sydney