Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

What it's like no longer owning an S2000

Old 12-19-2014, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What it's like no longer owning an S2000

So, about 2 years ago I bought an S2000 and it was probably one of the happiest days of my life. The car looked great, was unbelievably comfortable, sounded great and drove great. I loved the car but it was a bit of a stressful car to own, especially when I drove it daily. Getting to and from work was sometimes hazardous because people don't look or don't care, so I was driven into twice. Sunday driving or night driving was worse when people just didn't see me. My car was silverstone so I really don't know why they couldn't see me! It wasn't like I blended into the road or anything!

Daily driving was OK, it was always comfortable and easy. Looking out the back window (LOL what!?) was a pain and being blind in one eye made it a significant challenge, but I learned to use the mirrors whenever possible and just be patient.

The best days I had with my car was the black spur run and a drive day at Phillip Island. I was pushing the car to the limits of what the tires could give me, but I know with mods and better tires, I could have exceeded that speed easily. The car was stock with a pod filter (heh who doesn't have one?). Probably improving racing line would help too, but hey, when you're power sliding through the last corner and almost overshooting the last apex, why not have some fun??

Since I sold the car more than a year ago, I've pined for another s2k, as long as it's the same - silverstone with red & black interior.

Having seen some s2k's and youtubed a few videos, I've concluded that if I can get another s2000, I'd supercharge it and do an e85 conversion, as well as source some international parts, like that fella in the states who was building custom exhausts, and pwjdm intake... damn that thing is sexy.

So what is it like? Depressing.

My girlfriend has a Holden Barina (*sob*) and she lets me drive it, but I feel like I might roll it if I drive it too aggressive.

Ohhh how I wish I had my old s2k still...
Old 12-21-2014, 07:51 PM
xoz

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally I've always had a daily driver and on both occasions ( MY00 & present MY06) I've had a Jeep as the DD,
I use my S2000 like owning a boat as a luxury to enjoy on weekends. I don't particularly love the S as a DD tbh.
When I sold the first S2000, I got busy with other projects/ priorities and got back into the 06 after they were finished. Between the first and second I always missed owning one.
My suggestion is have a DD and mod the fck out of your next S Hahahaha my .02 .
Old 12-22-2014, 02:49 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The S is an awesome driving experience but can get tiresome as a daily driver. And doesn't really fit the role as a people or stuff mover.

I used to have a ute which was great for moving stuff (like broken S2000 parts) but still a 2 seater.

These days I have the ultimate practical car. A Ford Territory. I've done tip trips with the thing loaded with green waste and when I put the seats back up it seat 7 comfortably.

Oh, and it's the 4 litre turbo version so it's basically a high powered lounge room.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been without a S for about a year now, but I still frequently check the classifieds for one for some reason... then the better sense in me tells me don't spend the money on another and put the money into the Exige. I still find the S a good balance of rawness and comfort... and the convenience of the convertible. I daily drove the S for 5 years and it always seemed to please me. The Exige is too hardcore for the streets - can't see out the back, pain in the arse to get in/out, no power steering, shit stereo... but driving wise, the S can't match it.