Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.
View Poll Results: Who will win the 2011 British Grand Prix?
Sebastien Vettel
19.05%
Jenson Button
23.81%
Mark Webber
9.52%
Lewis Hamilton
14.29%
Fernando Alonso
19.05%
Felipe Massa
0%
Nico Rosberg
0%
Vitaly Petrov
0%
Nick Heidfeld
0%
Michael Schumacher
4.76%
Kamui Kobayashi
9.52%
Adrian Sutil
0%
Jaime Alguersuari
0%
Sébastien Buemi
0%
Rubens Barrichello
0%
Sergio Pérez
0%
Paul di Resta
0%
Jarno Trulli
0%
Vitantonio Liuzzi
0%
Jérôme d'Ambrosio
0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

2011 FORMULA 1 SANTANDER BRITISH GRAND PRIX

Old 07-12-2011, 07:05 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by luder_5555
^ I don't think that it is Vettel that wants a #2. I think that he would have been just as happy had Webber made the pass on the last lap. From what I can tell, SV is still at that young innocent stage of his career where he is just having fun, and wants someone to play with. The only time I have seen him frustrated this year is when he was told that he couldn't go out for another hot lap when Webber took pole from him. I think that he still sees this all as a game, and he just likes to play. I would be a different story if he were not destroying everyone else, but when you are normally out front with no one close enough to see you, sometimes you just want a playmate.
I suspect he wasn't having fun with Hamilton as a playmate that he couldn't overtake on Sunday. Those laps stuck behind, followed by the earlier than planned pitstop cost him any chance of catching FA.

The original slow pitstop was what really cost him the race.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by composite guru
Newey turned down their offer end of last year. I'm sure he likes it at RB because he has the run of the place through all stages. I'm sure Ferrari wouldn't allow him to do half of what he does at RB because the mafia based influence in the team. I'm sure this will be the last team he works for before he retires.
please clarify, "because the mafia based influence in the team".
Old 07-12-2011, 10:00 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by ytdlite
Originally Posted by composite guru' timestamp='1310458547' post='20770098
Newey turned down their offer end of last year. I'm sure he likes it at RB because he has the run of the place through all stages. I'm sure Ferrari wouldn't allow him to do half of what he does at RB because the mafia based influence in the team. I'm sure this will be the last team he works for before he retires.

Don't think there is much to it. Belonging to the team in question that may be how they internally talk about Ferrari their competitor, or thats what I think it is. Probably feeling a little embattled by recent anti Red Bull posts is what I think it is or maybe everyone in the paddock shares Nikki Lauda's views on 'pasta culture' at Ferrari
Old 07-12-2011, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by ytdlite
Originally Posted by composite guru' timestamp='1310458547' post='20770098
Ok, I meant to say they are owned by the mafia. If the FIA don't do what they say then someone wakes up next to a horses head wearing a pair of concrete slippers. :0)

I know a few people that have contracted there and its said to be an awful place to work.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:09 AM

I don't really know that but I know corrupt things go on there as F1 is their primary marketing tool for their cars so when they are sh*t they get worried.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:24 AM

I feel like I should preface:

I'm a Vettel fan, I'm an RB fan.

BUT, everyone has been questioning how Vettel would handle himself in the pack--whether he's actually a great all around driver, or only seems to get his wins because he has the pace to stay out in front (i.e. he can't pass well). I think in this race, and Canada we can see that peoples thoughts may be ringing somewhat true.

When he's in the lead, he soars around the track. When he's not... he isn't quick. Webber was faster than him the entire time he was behind Vettel (enough for team orders to be called). I don't think Vettel does well under driver pressure. Sure, he does fine under mental pressure on Saturday's, but come Sunday, with the other great drivers in the field breathing down his gearbox, I think he cracks.

This is Vettel showing his inexperience in F1. He's got a ways to go. But he is NOT a Schumacher as of yet... He's cracking under pressure.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When he's in the lead, he soars around the track. When he's not... he isn't quick. Webber was faster than him the entire time he was behind Vettel (enough for team orders to be called). I don't think Vettel does well under driver pressure. Sure, he does fine under mental pressure on Saturday's, but come Sunday, with the other great drivers in the field breathing down his gearbox, I think he cracks.
My thoughts on that are that he is always in front. My guess is that the car is setup to be in front. When you are behind another car you have so much less downforce. I would assume that either the car is not setup properly to be behind another car, of he is not used to it so he kills the tires sliding around when he get's stuck behind someone.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by espelirS2K

This is Vettel showing his inexperience in F1. He's got a ways to go. But he is NOT a Schumacher as of yet... He's cracking under pressure.
To be fair to Vettel, Alonso was already long gone near the end of the race and Lewis with his fuel issues was 5 seconds behind and dropping. Vettel was likely in fuel/engine conservation mode. Webber passed Lewis with 6 laps to go and with team orders announced over the radio, its likely that Vettel thought he was safe. Webber though had other ideas.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by luder_5555
It is true that there was some improvement from Ferrari over the last few races. However You also cannot deny that it does seem a little odd that they win their first race of the year after a rule change that almost everyone seems to think what designed very heavily in their favor.
I can indeed deny it!
It's been 2 races since the change in rules has been nulified and we are back to the rules we had at the start of the season, and Ferrari continue to advance. There was no fluke in Ferrari getting better, it was not a change in rules, it was just hard work and the ongoing efforts to develop the car. The increased pace of the Ferrari is because of hard work, not because of rule changes.