Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

Historic CanAm race added to 2017 Long Beach GP.

Old 11-16-2016, 03:25 PM

Received 1,180 Likes on 908 Posts
Default Historic CanAm race added to 2017 Long Beach GP.

Get your Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach tickets now because next April, you will get a taste of the 1000+ horsepower engines that dominated the golden age of Can-Am racing when those historic machines race for the first time on our world-famous seaside circuit.

The 20-minute race, which will run Saturday, April 8, will start at approximately noon, just prior to the BUBBA burger Sports Car Grand Prix event.

Can-Am, short for the Canadian-American Challenge Cup, was a racing series that ran at tracks in Canada and the U.S. from 1966 to 1974 and again from 1977-87. The initial era of Can-Am featured sleek, high-horsepower cars from McLaren, Porsche, Lola, Shadow and more with a list of well-known drivers that included Jim Hall, Mark Donohue, Mario Andretti, Parnelli Jones, George Follmer, Dan Gurney, Phil Hill, Bruce McLaren and John Surtees, among others.

The historic event at Long Beach will feature cars from the 1966-74 era of Can-Am racing, and be sanctioned by the Historic Motor Sports Association (HMSA).

“HMSA is thrilled to be part of the Grand Prix Long Beach, a truly iconic event with a rich motorsports history and a jewel of Southern California,” said Cris Vandagriff, president of the Historic Motor Sports Association. “We are proud to bring the cars from what has been called the greatest series ever created, the original Can-Am. These cars were the fastest racing cars of their day and still make the earth move when they take to the track.”

“This will be the very first time that these exotic racing machines have competed on any street circuit,” said Jim Michaelian, president & CEO of the Grand Prix Association of Long Beach. “The sounds of these high-powered engines racing down Shoreline Drive will be exhilarating.”

Along with the Can-Am event and a wide variety of on- and o! ff-track activities for the entire family, the Grand Prix will be headlined by the second round of the 2017 Verizon IndyCar Series, as well as the BUBBA burger Sports Car Grand Prix, featuring the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship and its all-new prototype cars. In addition, the weekend will include the Motegi Racing Super Drift Challenge under the lights on Friday and Saturday nights; SPEED Energy Stadium Super Trucks, and the powerful sports cars of the Pirelli World Challenge.

I'm stoked! Those were my favorite race cars of all time! In my opinion, the most beautiful race cars ever.
Old 11-16-2016, 03:46 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Why would they put this on at Long Beach of all places! Million plus dollar Can-Am cars running around a cement lined parking lot, I imagine this will end up being nothing more than a rolling display and if Bruce Canepa enters there's your winner.
Old 11-17-2016, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point
Why would they put this on at Long Beach of all places! Million plus dollar Can-Am cars running around a cement lined parking lot, I imagine this will end up being nothing more than a rolling display and if Bruce Canepa enters there's your winner.
Who cares. Just seeing them rolling is good enough for me. And the Long Beach GP is a hell of a lot more than a cement lined parking lot. After the 500, it is the premier event on the IndyCar season.
Old 11-17-2016, 12:11 PM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

;love that series and cars, watched them at Mosport and the Glen.

Was there at Mosport for the beginning of the end, when Porsche/Penske and Mark Donahue started the 917/30.

The Blue and gold turbo started whooshing down on the orange 454 McClarens which had dominated. ( Jackie Stewart was there driving the snot out of a Lola but wasn't competitive)

Penske pulled out the Porsche for a glitch but the tire marks were on the wall , the cost of a competitive effort tripled and the Series dies a few years later.

Glorious beasts though, while they lasted
Old 11-17-2016, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by gerry100
;love that series and cars, watched them at Mosport and the Glen.

Was there at Mosport for the beginning of the end, when Porsche/Penske and Mark Donahue started the 917/30.

The Blue and gold turbo started whooshing down on the orange 454 McClarens which had dominated. ( Jackie Stewart was there driving the snot out of a Lola but wasn't competitive)

Penske pulled out the Porsche for a glitch but the tire marks were on the wall , the cost of a competitive effort tripled and the Series dies a few years later.

Glorious beasts though, while they lasted
I couldn't agree more. We saw the McLaren dominance, then the Penske Panzer Porsche 917-10 and 917-30 dominance at Riverside Raceway every year. God I loved those cars! I had a Ford Econoline van that I fixed up as a camper with a platform on top. We would camp alongside the track at the top of the esses. On Sunday our friends would pile on top. And you're right, the Penske Porsches killed the series, which was a damn shame.
Old 11-18-2016, 12:42 AM

Anyone remember the original support series for the Can-Am series?
Old 11-18-2016, 05:05 AM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

correction - Sir Jackie wasn't there, don't be shocked but there was some serious partying going on there that I may have participated in

wish I had a photo of the "passenger seat' required by the Formula

Last edited by gerry100; 11-18-2016 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point
Anyone remember the original support series for the Can-Am series?

The original support series was B sedan, ne: later to be called the 2.5 Challenge Trans-Am. This later was moved to a pre race series for the major Trans-Am series.