Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

2017 24 Heures du Mans - 6/17 to 6/18 at the Circuit de la Sarthe

Old 06-17-2017, 07:14 AM

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Name:  20170617_110739_zpsbgihyisd.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  204.4 KB
Old 06-17-2017, 11:40 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Live Streaming of the race

Old 06-17-2017, 03:40 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

It's turning into a race of attrition for the LMP1 cars. Kobayashi was heartbreaking.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:06 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Congrats to Porsche for getting into the lead in the last hour and taking the flag. Jackie Chan DC Racing also acquitted themselves very well to finish 2nd overall. Enjoyed the fight to the finish in the GTE Pro class and Jordan Taylor as always made it an exciting finish to watch. Too bad he had the tire go down and finished 3rd. Congrats to Aston Martin racing and the #67 Ford GT. How apropos that the #67 came in on the podium 50 years after Dan Gurney's win.

Liked the Fox Sports coverage this year and it was nice that they had commentary throughout. I think the big question following this race will be the LMP1 cars and what if anything can be done to make them less complex and more durable to handle the travails of a 24 hour race. I really would like to have seen a battle in that class and not see it reduced to cars just finishing the race.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:18 AM

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Not making it to the end is a neccessary part of endurance racing. I dont want to see cars be less complicated to reduce mechanical failure. Maybe cars should be less complicated to improve car counts though. Or is that the idea behind P2? The world needs at least one high profile run whacha brung competittion like P1. I think its perfect. Will porsche sell enough cars tomorrow to make auto makers enter the competition? Active aero and active suspension are comming.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:20 AM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Gutted for corvette racing.

I dont even even know where to start with LMP1. I feel unqualified to comment, since I only watch 3 endurance races a year. Nonetheless that has never stopped me in the past. I've been pretty much lost since these new aero regulations greatly diminished the looks of the cars. I just hope they can somehow attract more manufacturers. That's what it's about for me in sports car racing. Cheering on a brand.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:46 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry guys. Was away on military duty until Saturday so didnt think to start the thread. Luckily got to see the last half or so of the race.

Toyota say the clutch broke on the #7 after a "fake marshal" told them to go at the end of pitlane (being held for safety car period). When Kobayashi took off the team told him to stop again. They have a complicated system with the electric pitlane procedure.

The "fake marshal" was Vincent Capillaire of algarve pro.

https://streamable.com/kvdca
Old 06-19-2017, 03:57 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Akio Toyoda's statement (translated)

"I’m sorry I couldn’t let you guys drive your hearts out”

Usually, I should probably start with words of gratitude to the fans who cheered us on, but for this year’s Le Mans…. I feel that I first need to apologize to the drivers.

This is the first Le Mans I’ve attended live—and the drivers told me, “We want to step on top of the podium with you…and for that, we really don’t want to lose…So please, fight with us…”

And so, I replied, “Drive your heart out. Trust the mechanics, and enjoy Le Mans.”

And yet, I am so vexed that I couldn’t let them do just that after all. They drove, trusting our car…and I am filled with apologies.

And I think that my sentiment is shared by Toyota’s engineers, mechanics, and parts suppliers who all built the car for this battle.

So, shouldering and representing everyone’s emotions, I repeat—“Sorry you guys couldn’t drive to your fullest…”

And please let me communicate two thoughts from everyone involved with the Toyota team, including the 9 drivers.

First, to the fans. For the fans that cheered for us, believing in our victory, I am deeply sorry for being unable to fulfill those expectations.

And from my heart, I am grateful that you kept cheering, kept believing for the full 24 hours. Thank you very much.

We will keep pushing, so one day we can all share smiles with you.

Secondly, to the Porsche team.

After last year’s battle, we received so many enamoring words from you, acknowledging us as your rivals.

And to fulfill the role as your “rivals” we believed that we must put up a brilliant fight again that will mesmerize the fans.

And so, our team was able to face daunting challenges to develop new skills and technologies.

For everyone on the Porsche team, congratulations. And thank you very much.

However, we were unable to realize a mesmerizing battle, unlike last year.

This year, both Porsche and Toyota…our Hybrid cars that took on the road of Le Mans could not finish the 24 hours unscathed.

Even your winning #2 car, and our finishing #8 car, finally reached the checkered flag after malfunctions forced lengthy repairs.

Perhaps the Hybrid technology we have refined for WEC may be enough for 6 hours, but still falls short to the challenge of 24 hour races.

Electrical power is absolutely necessary for cars to become more emotional products.

Le Mans is a rare experiment in which we can continue to tackle this technology, and test it in extreme conditions. And so, we will continue to cherish this opportunity.

To develop technology that will truly put smiles on drivers’ faces, and continue to strive for even better manufacturing of vehicles, we will continue our efforts to polish and mature our techniques. I wish that everyone could place their hopes on us again. Thank you very much.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:06 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

AE_Racer - good to hear from you. We count on you to keep us informed about sportscar racing so glad you were able to chime in.

That was a classy statement by Akio Toyoda. I've no doubt that it's a matter of time before they are back at the front.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:20 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

- Very disappointed for Corvette. I don't know if they cut down the tire going through the gravel trap or if it came a lap earlier when they made contact with the A.Martin. Could have been from the contact - tire lost pressure - lost control during braking....

- I'm not excited with LMP1 class. Porsche won? They beat 1 other team? is that really a race?

Quick Reply: 2017 24 Heures du Mans - 6/17 to 6/18 at the Circuit de la Sarthe