Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.
View Poll Results: Pick the winner at Yas Marina on Sunday
Lewis Hamilton
44.44%
Sebastian Vettel
0%
Kimi Raikkonen
11.11%
Valtteri Bottas
11.11%
Max Verstappen
11.11%
Daniel Ricciardo
11.11%
Nico Hulkenberg
0%
Sergio Perez
0%
Kevin Magnussen
0%
Fernando Alonso
11.11%
Esteban Ocon
0%
Carlos Sainz Jr.
0%
Romain Grosjean
0%
Charles Leclerc
0%
Pierre Gasly
0%
Stoffel Vandoorne
0%
Marcus Ericsson
0%
Lance Stroll
0%
Brendon Hartley
0%
Sergey Sirotkin
0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

2018 FORMULA 1 ETIHAD AIRWAYS ABU DHABI GRAND PRIX - 11/23 to 11/25

Old 11-25-2018, 09:00 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Lewis won, but if not for the Red Bulls this race would have been a big bore. Loved Max battling with Lewis and Ricciardo keeping Lewis in check for a large part of the race. Loved the Red Bulls battling Bottas as well as Vandoorne battling Ocon and Grosjean.

Hoping next season is not as predictable. I'd love to see some good fights through the field and perhaps even between team mates (although I think Bottas has effectively resigned himself to #2).

Next season will be a big for Honda. I hope they improve and are able to compete with the silver arrows and the scarlet cars. It will be exciting to watch Kubica on his return at Williams, just as it will to see George Russell, Lando Norris, Leclerc at Ferrari and Gasly at Red Bull. Hoping Kimi at Sauber and Kubica at Wiliams shows some good results too. Wonder what will happen to Force India. I know its a matter of time before Stroll heads there. Perhaps he will do well with a decent car under him. Looking forward to 2019 and to great fights and new champions.
Old 11-25-2018, 03:43 PM

Received 1,180 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
Lewis won, but if not for the Red Bulls this race would have been a big bore. Loved Max battling with Lewis and Ricciardo keeping Lewis in check for a large part of the race. Loved the Red Bulls battling Bottas as well as Vandoorne battling Ocon and Grosjean.

Hoping next season is not as predictable. I'd love to see some good fights through the field and perhaps even between team mates (although I think Bottas has effectively resigned himself to #2).

Next season will be a big for Honda. I hope they improve and are able to compete with the silver arrows and the scarlet cars. It will be exciting to watch Kubica on his return at Williams, just as it will to see George Russell, Lando Norris, Leclerc at Ferrari and Gasly at Red Bull. Hoping Kimi at Sauber and Kubica at Wiliams shows some good results too. Wonder what will happen to Force India. I know its a matter of time before Stroll heads there. Perhaps he will do well with a decent car under him. Looking forward to 2019 and to great fights and new champions.
with all of that, A 2. There were some good scraps/passes late. Scary Hulkenberg barrel roll into the wall. So glad he was OK.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:46 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,588 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
Voted for Max. Because if he wins from where he qualified, then this will be a heck of a race to watch.

Look for him to make some daring passes. He is starting on the softest compound and will likely make big moves over the first couple of laps. Red Bull is good in some sectors here, and I hope Max and Dan take the fight to the silver arrows.
I'm going to say I don't care for Max or his driving style, this race proved that yet again. His constant driving with his elbows out and using his car to push (and bump) people is too far for me.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:28 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Sam - that may be so. You’ve probably read my post on the last race thread lamenting the lack of sportsmanship. I’m not 100% fond of any of the drivers on the grid with the exception of Ricciardo. But drivers like Max and Ricciardo have made it more exciting to watch. We don’t want boring processions after all.

Jenson is my favorite driver and champion. I like how he won his championship. Built an advantage when they had the diffuser and once the others caught up he had to scramble and fight hard to finish in the points. I’d like to see that kind of a championship fight again. Also 2006 when Michael Schumacher came from behind and went on a winning spree that started at the US Grand Prix before having a rare engine failure at Suzuka that swung the tide in Alonso’s favor. That year also had the fantastic Hungarian Grand Prix where Jenson and Honda scored their first win.

I wont back all of Max’s moves, but I’m glad he makes it tough and worthy for whoever wins the championship.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:41 AM
Site Moderator

I'm all for passing and excitement, but I don't like it when some drivers have the attitude of move or get hit, it's not sportsmanlike at all. Lewis and Nico (Rosberg) had a few altercations like that and it soured the races. Daniel made some really great passes, he tends to leave enough room every time, you cannot say the same for Max.

A little rubbing is fine, but pushing and shoving isn't. Max wet after Ocon in Abu Dhabi and it was fairly obvious his intentions, if Ocon hadn't passed him after the push and bump I'm sure the stewards would've got involved. RBR are encouraging him to be overly aggressive and I don't think it'll end well.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:58 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Did anyone else wish that Mercedes put the new PU in the car for Lewis and start Lewis at the back of the grid. That would've made this race so much more entertaining. Once again, Abu Dhabi GP is a let down.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:58 AM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by eight
Did anyone else wish that Mercedes put the new PU in the car for Lewis and start Lewis at the back of the grid. That would've made this race so much more entertaining. Once again, Abu Dhabi GP is a let down.
I did wonder if they would as it would've made it interesting for sure.

I think next year will be more of the same, but I'm hopeful the new aero regs make it more interesting.