Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.
View Poll Results: Pick the Winner at Albert Park on Sunday
Lewis Hamilton
33.33%
Valtteri Bottas
0%
Sebastian Vettel
22.22%
Kimi Räikkönen
11.11%
Daniel Ricciardo
33.33%
Max Verstappen
0%
Stoffel Vandoorne
0%
Fernando Alonso
0%
Sergio Pérez
0%
Esteban Ocon
0%
Romain Grosjean
0%
Kevin Magnussen
0%
Nico Hülkenberg
0%
Carlos Sainz Jr.
0%
Marcus Ericsson
0%
Charles Leclerc
0%
Pierre Gasley
0%
Brendon Hartley
0%
Lance Stroll
0%
Sergey Sirotkin
0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

2018 Formula 1 Rolex Australian Grand Prix - 3/23 to 3/25 at Albert Park

Old 03-24-2018, 08:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry
Old 03-25-2018, 05:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am a casual F1 fan. My wife, never an auto-sport fan, has come to F1 due to her company's sponsorship of one of the teams.
We stayed up to watch the pre-race and race last night.
For starters FP3 was mis-identified (?) by my cable provider, FIOS, so all I taped was some random ESPN show.
'On the Grid' was a disaster - - - - two false starts, and then lack-luster interview/questions.
Race coverage was OK. Do not care for SkyTV's announcers and missed the MSNBC crew.
The F1 model goes back to ESPN's earliest days when they needed any content to fill their 24hrs of airtime - - - unbranded content showing their lack of interest / investment in the end-product.
This could have been a flag-ship vehicle for them, but it is little more than eye-candy.
I'll try a few more races, but don't have much hope.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:54 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Lets keep discussion of the ESPN coverage on this other thread - https://www.s2ki.com/forums/auto-rac...etter-1182017/

That way it will be easy to read thoughts by topic.

I think the race was awesome and a good start to the season. The cars look like fancy flip-flops but as long as it keeps the drivers safe, I will suck it up and let the change fly.

Loved the results and watching how Lewis and Seb battled for the win. I was hoping Kimi would get the lead at the start or maybe at the pitstop, but luck smiled on the other driver in scarlet.

As I look at the results, it seems like Renault has the best performance of all the engine manufacturers. They may not be the fastest, but they have consistently more cars finishing in the points thus far compared to Ferrari and Mercedes. One swallow, does not a summer make, but could this be the harbinger of a dominance from Renault yet again. Did Red Bull shoot themselves in the foot by antagonizing them as much as they did last year. Great performance by McLaren too. Hartley finished the race and I'll take that as a plus for Honda and hope they improve.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:39 AM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Still ticked that Lewis didn’t get the win. I hope he settles the score in Bahrain. I also hope bottas can carry the water and get a proper 1-2. Gotta build a points lead wherever possible.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
Lets keep discussion of the ESPN coverage on this other thread - https://www.s2ki.com/forums/auto-rac...etter-1182017/

That way it will be easy to read thoughts by topic.

I think the race was awesome and a good start to the season. The cars look like fancy flip-flops but as long as it keeps the drivers safe, I will suck it up and let the change fly.
It was pretty boring to me. No passing at all; Vettell admits he won by luck due to a glitch by Merc. Happy for Fernando and McLaren, both cars in the points. But it was funny to see how no one was passing Fernando, and yet he was losing so much ground to 4th place Ricciardo that was pretty telling of how hard it was to pass. The gap between 4th and 5th place was pretty big by the end of the race. He was just backing up Max and the other three behind him.

I agree on the flip-flop look, but hey, for safety's sake I'll deal with the eye sore.

Max Verstappen would've switched off 'worthless' Australian GP

Old 03-28-2018, 08:01 AM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Nerd-Vol
Still ticked that Lewis didn’t get the win. I hope he settles the score in Bahrain. I also hope bottas can carry the water and get a proper 1-2. Gotta build a points lead wherever possible.
Oh man. I'll take it anytime Mercedes, specifically Lewis, doesn't get take pole. I'm so sick of seeing them win. So much so that F1 has dropped down from the most fun to watch....it's all about GTLM/Prototype now.
Old 03-28-2018, 10:35 AM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by HawkeyeGeoff
Oh man. I'll take it anytime Mercedes, specifically Lewis, doesn't get take pole. I'm so sick of seeing them win. So much so that F1 has dropped down from the most fun to watch....it's all about GTLM/Prototype now.
Is what it is. I watched Michael Schumacher dominate, I’ve watched Sebastian dominate. Were they my guys, no, but I still watched and found things enjoyable. I wish the “fans” that have left during this recent run of domination the best and hope they come back when whatever team or driver they like is winning.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:50 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Nerd-Vol

Is what it is. I watched Michael Schumacher dominate, I’ve watched Sebastian dominate. Were they my guys, no, but I still watched and found things enjoyable. I wish the “fans” that have left during this recent run of domination the best and hope they come back when whatever team or driver they like is winning.
well said and
Old 03-28-2018, 06:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also! As far as the VSC goes, will everyone come in for pit stops or drive through the pits to not lose positions? Crazy