Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

Jean Argetsinger - the matriarch of American road racing is no more

Old 01-20-2017, 07:27 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Jean Argetsinger - the matriarch of American road racing is no more

She worked alongside her husband, Cameron, and helped boot strap racing at Watkins Glen. She also founded the Racing Museum at Watkins Glen

she will be missed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.dad13891ff95

In the first years of racing in Watkins Glen, Mrs. Argetsinger was at the side of her husband, welcoming drivers from around the world to parties at her house and putting together race event programs. In 1958, she established the Paddock Club, now known as the Glen Club, as “a civilized retreat for drivers’ wives and visiting celebrities.”

“I never thought racing would be my life. I don’t know much about cars, but I do know about the people who drive them,” Mrs. Argetsinger said in 1999 when introducing a film documentary about the history of Watkins Glen racing. “When Cameron presented the idea of a road race to [the Sports Car Club of America] at a cocktail party in Indianapolis, a distinguished member of the group put a fatherly arm around my shoulder and said: ‘Don’t do it. You’ll work hard, and nobody will come.’ ”