S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Auto Racing Discussion (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/auto-racing-discussion-150/)
-   -   More IRL + Champ news... (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/auto-racing-discussion-150/more-irl-champ-news-388579/)

Triple-H 05-22-2006 04:36 AM

I was watching Speed News last night, and oh my, did they ever rip on IRL qualifying... They basically said the format is old and stupid because there are so few cars basically they are all going to get in, so the whole bump day thisng is no longer valid. If they said it once they said it a dozen time, put Champ and IRL back together, so you have 50 some cars trying to get 30 some spots and then the excitement would be back.

They were just brutal, something like the announcer in the booth says "So Bob, tell us what's exciting down there." Bob replies down from pit lane "Well Jim, there's nothing exciting happening down here." :rofl:

Triple-H 05-22-2006 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,May 21 2006, 10:28 PM
A nice road course is better than an oval which is better than a street circuit.

:iagree:

The only exception being Monaco as in I'll take F1 at Monaco over IRL/Champ on an oval anyday. :D

mikegarrison 05-22-2006 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Triple-H,May 22 2006, 05:38 AM
The only exception being Monaco as in I'll take F1 at Monaco over IRL/Champ on an oval anyday. :D

Well, the tunnel is cool, but I expect what you mean is that you like the history and pagentry of the race more than you like the race itself. I guess you could say the same thing about Macau.

Once upon a time some of these street races used to be good races, but cars have just gotten too fast for the street circuits.

Triple-H 05-22-2006 08:41 AM

Yup, that history is part of it, but I have actually seen passing at Monaco, but often enough the Champ cars pass because someone in front of them smack into a concrete barrier and go DNF...

The one venue you forgot to mention is 'the airport runway'. I can't remember what the city was, but I always used to love that Champ race, I mean where else could you see cars charging into Turn One 12 cars wide. :D

mikegarrison 05-22-2006 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Triple-H,May 22 2006, 09:41 AM
The one venue you forgot to mention is 'the airport runway'. I can't remember what the city was, but I always used to love that Champ race, I mean where else could you see cars charging into Turn One 12 cars wide. :D

Cleveland, I think.

Many road courses are actually old airport runways, at least originally. The difference is that the Cleveland race takes place at an airport that is still being used as an airport.

Anyway, I count it as a road course. But the best road courses have significant elevation and camber changes, so the airport-derived ones are often less than spectacular.

PLYRS 3 05-23-2006 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,May 22 2006, 12:48 PM
Cleveland, I think.

Many road courses are actually old airport runways, at least originally. The difference is that the Cleveland race takes place at an airport that is still being used as an airport.

Anyway, I count it as a road course. But the best road courses have significant elevation and camber changes, so the airport-derived ones are often less than spectacular.

yes, cleveland....one of the best race venues IMO.

going into turn one at the drop of the green is incredible...they go like 5 wide into 2 wide....well, at least they try to.

the racing line is really only one wide.....

:)

and the new edmonton race is at an airport too, if i'm not mistaken.

dlq04 05-23-2006 05:09 PM

Here's a little insider info -

Champ and IRL will both be at Indy next year - no matter if they work out their differences or not and combine series or not. You heard it first here.

The new Champ 2007 calendar (not officially published anywhere) has left the entire month of May open. Since we already know where the IRL will be in May....

Also, a third party (non-IRL, non-Champ) has been selected to oversee the negotiations.