Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

The Official Formula One 2012 Preview/Silly Season Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 05:44 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101672

Pirelli has announced its tyre compound choice for the next three Formula 1 races, with the tyre firm electing to take its hardest selection to the Belgian and Italian Grands Prix. With the company's 2012 rubber being more aggressive than last year's, Pirelli has elected to use the medium and hard tyres for the events at Spa-Francorchamps and Monza.

Both high-speed tracks are demanding on the tyres, and last year's Belgian GP is remembered for the camber controversy that surrounded Red Bull.

Pirelli will bring its super soft and soft tyres to the Singapore GP, with the track layout of the street circuit perfect for that range of rubber.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just booked tickets to go to Suzuka in October, a little excited.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:53 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by coldrsx

That should be awesome. Be sure to take a ton of pics and share them with us
Old 08-23-2012, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't wait for the return of F1!!! It's been a difficult month trying to occupy myself with my best mate in Europe, my gf in Brisbane and another good mate in Japan but everyone is back and F1 is near!!! Look forward to seeing who has made steps forward over the month off (yeah there has been a ban on testing but you can be sure they weren't just sunning themselves on beaches) and if Ferrari can maintain their dominance. Looking forward to Spa like a 6 year old looks forward to Christmas!
Old 08-24-2012, 11:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
Originally Posted by coldrsx' timestamp='1345739675' post='21958940

That should be awesome. Be sure to take a ton of pics and share them with us
Absolutely. Cheers
Old 08-28-2012, 05:13 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Robert Kubica tests the WRC Fiesta rally car

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102019

Robert Kubica tested a factory Ford Fiesta RS WRC in France last month, AUTOSPORT's sources have confirmed.The Polish driver joined Ford for its development test at the Circuit des Ecuyers close to Reims in central France. The source confirmed he drove the car for a day on the track.

Prior to the French test, Kubica is believed to have hired a Ford Fiesta RS WRC from an Italian team in preparation for his time in the Ford's official test car.

Ford team principal Malcolm Wilson refused to even acknowledge Kubica was present at the test, saying: "As you know, we had a four-day development test at a circuit in France, that's all there is to it. It was a private test and I'm not prepared to comment further."

An AUTOSPORT source in Italy said: "Robert drove the car, we know this. And he drove the car well. He has the big passion for rally."

Ford drivers Jari-Matti Latvala and Petter Solberg were both present at the test and both are believed to have discussed the car with Kubica.

The test is Kubica's biggest step towards a return to the highest level of motorsport since he crashed a Skoda Fabia S2000 heavily on the Ronde di Andora in February 2011, seriously injuring his right arm and hand.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:26 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Bobby Kubitzer (Robert Kubica) set to make a return to competition rallying in Italy. I hope he makes a complete recovery and is signed by a big team (Ferrari or McLaren)
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102301

Robert Kubica is set to make his return to competition in rallying this month and could compete in the Ronde Gomitolo di Lana Rally in Italy on Saturday.The Pole, who has been out of action since a big accident while competing on the Ronde di Andorra Rally in February 2011, is entered for the event.

AUTOSPORT understands that it is not yet certain whether his car, a Subaru Impreza WRC, will be ready in time for the two-day rally, but if it is not his comeback event will be the the Rally San Martino di Castorzza the weekend after.

A decision on whether the car is ready to compete tomorrow is expected later on Friday.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:15 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Pirelli reveals compounds for Japan, Korea and India
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102474

Pirelli has announced its tyre nominations for the Japanese, Korean and Indian Grands Prix.The Formula 1 tyre supplier said it will take the hard and soft rubbers to the Suzuka race, the 15th round of the championship.

The same compounds will be used in India.

For Korea, Pirelli has chosen the soft and super soft compounds, the same that will be used in the Singapore Grand Prix next weekend.

Korea will be the fourth time this year drivers use the super soft tyres following Monaco, Canada and Singapore.

Each team will receive six sets of the harder compound and five sets of the softer compound for the race weekends.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:20 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Well it is still silly season, so I thought I'd post this here

Honda Open to F1 Return

A senior Honda board member has admitted the company is open to the idea of a return to Formula 1 in the future, although he thinks such a move will not happen in the short-term. The Japanese manufacturer turned its back on the sport at the end of 2008, when a worldwide economic slump left the car company unable to justify the huge investment needed for an F1 project. There have been several rumors since then that Honda could be tempted back, and high-level sources have suggested that informal talks have taken place between the Japanese car maker and the FIA about a future F1 program. Now, one of its senior figures has admitted publicly for the first time that there are grounds for it to consider a return.

Yoshiharu Yamamoto, a senior Honda board member who is also CEO of Honda R&D, says that he would be eager to get the company back to F1.

"I cannot speak for Honda, but on a personal level I love racing, but there is a lot involved when you are in F1," he said in an exclusive interview with Autocar. "It is the very top of auto racing and that requires a large commitment. But it is true that we do look up at those races and hope that one day we can take part again.

"I do not personally think we can just go straight back immediately, but there is potential for the rules to change and attract us. I follow the rules, certainly, and if they present an opportunity then it would be nice to go back."

Yamamoto says that Honda's current international racing efforts will be focused on the World Touring Car Championship, and only once it has started winning should it consider a further ramping up of efforts that could include F1.

"The first thing we must do is win in the WTCC, and then perhaps we can look further afield," he said.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kimi feeds into the rumor mill with new contract signing.

http://www.f1today.net/en/news/kimi-...not-with-lotus