Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

The Official Formula One 2012 Preview/Silly Season Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 07:35 PM

Received 458 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by samerthehammer
Just saw this. Ferrari and Red Bull have left FOTA. This will be an interesting off season

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/12/0...eparture-fota/

I agree.

Bernie must not be sleeping well these days?
Old 12-03-2011, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt_in_VA
So, unless I missed a post where do you think that Barichello will wind up? Or is his career over?
No you havent missed anything. I think he either stays at Williams or he is done. He shouldnt have to pay to get a seat
Old 12-03-2011, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Matt_in_VA
Originally Posted by samerthehammer' timestamp='1322861986' post='21205779
Just saw this. Ferrari and Red Bull have left FOTA. This will be an interesting off season

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/12/0...eparture-fota/

I agree.

Bernie must not be sleeping well these days?
From what I have read on those comments, it seems like this is what Bernie wants.
Q: Bernie, we’ve seen a lot of changes going on in the teams’ association. What do you think about that ‘club’ of which Red Bull is a member?
BE: I try not to think of them.
CH: I also don’t spend too much time thinking in that direction.

Q: But then why does it exist?
BE: It is an unnecessary association of people who should put their sole emphasis on getting competitive cars on the grid. It’s just more of what they don’t have to think of. I look after that so there are enough financial resources.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:44 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt_in_VA' timestamp='1322886687' post='21206607
So, unless I missed a post where do you think that Barichello will wind up? Or is his career over?
No you havent missed anything. I think he either stays at Williams or he is done. He shouldnt have to pay to get a seat
If he finds nothing in F1, I think he should look to other series like DTM or LeMans or possibly IndyCar even as his zeal to drive is still strong.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:06 PM

More proof that Bernie never liked dealing with FOTA

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/12/0...ie-ecclestone/
Old 12-04-2011, 04:15 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

More proof that Bernie never liked dealing with FOTA

http://www.f1fanatic...nie-ecclestone/
pretty sure he is happy with how this is going. After all FOTA threatened FOM with a breakaway series where they could spend as they liked.

Not sure how this will play out, but I think costs may increase forcing out some of the teams. An HRT wont be missed, but if this impacts one of the better teams it will be a blow to the sport.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:40 PM

hate to say it, but since felipe's accident at hungaroring he hasn't been the same...could be because the car wasn't that great this year idk...but that being said time for ferrari to drop him and get some fresh talent.....
Old 12-06-2011, 02:41 AM

Sorry for a noob memember to the site joining in here but i love my Formula 1 even from the other side of the world to most of you guys, im down here in Australia!

My personal opinion is Rubens should hang up his helmet now. He's had a phenomenal career, everyone still loves him and sides with him for the incident during his drive at Ferrar i with Schumacher. To retire now would be to end on a high with all the supporters applauding him and appreciating what he has given to the sport over a career spanning many decades. For him to race another year with a honestly uncompetative Williams will turn him into the hero that didn't know when to give it away.

I'm sure the fire still burns strong for him and he still wants to race and win but there are too many better drivers in better cars now. As we see with the return of Schumacher he is struggling to come to grips with all the new technology while the newer drivers like Vettel, Hamilton, Senna etc. all are far more compitant. I would even say the older drivers like Webber and Button as well are far ahead of Rubens.

I am eagerly awaiting the 2012 season (GO McLAREN!) i just hope for his sake that Rubens can find it within himself to accept that his time has now come to an end. He has lasted far longer then even he thought he would by his own admission, driven for the great teams of Formula 1 and i dare say made more then enough money to retire happily on to go and do whatever he wants to do next. To Rubens i say; Hang up the helmet, take the adulations that will be heaped upon you for leaving maybe not at the peak of your career but at least at the right time. You will be rememered as a hero, a great. Stay another year, finishing well down the table and everyone will ask, was it worth staying one more year?

I also feel Webber is in a similar boat. He is regularly being outclassed by Vettle, Hamilton, Button and Alonso. I think after next season he will need to think long and hard about his future there. I'd love to see him fade into the background being a McLaren supporter, but if he has half a brain, which i doubt sometimes, maybe after next year if he can't make headway he should start to think about giving it away.

I am looking forward to next year to see who can take the fight to Vettel. Webber wont, he is too slow and too full of excuses. I think the Ferraris will be a team to watch, they had a poor year with their car this year and they will not want to repeat that. Then again with the rule changes it could take a few races for the cars to settle in.

Bring on 2012 and the MP4-27!
Old 12-06-2011, 03:18 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by beanseff
hate to say it, but since felipe's accident at hungaroring he hasn't been the same...could be because the car wasn't that great this year idk...but that being said time for ferrari to drop him and get some fresh talent.....
Who do you think would be a good candidate for replacing Felipe? Ferrari would want someone that is willing to be a second driver to Alonso. I personally think if not RK, as he and Alonso are good friends, it has to be someone new or someone from one of the midfield or back marker teams - maybe a Sutil or a Kovalainen.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:27 AM

rubins will take less to drive more of a hopefully better williams. perez is my pick for massas seat. anyone seen a word of who gets the torro roso seats?