Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

It's confirmed

Old 09-13-2006, 07:05 PM

Received 793 Likes on 439 Posts
Default It's confirmed

Well, I got confirmation from my cousin this evening that I am all set for the Brazilian GP. I'll be attending the race (I knew that all along), and just confirmed that even with the extra requests and commotion with Schumacher retiring after the race, that I'll be at the track for Friday practice and Saturday practice/qualifying.

I'll be sitting in the section marked with the large black arrow below, on the short straight leading into the Ferradura turn.

Old 09-13-2006, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very Nice! I was there last year, and had a great time. Our seats were in the grandstands in front of the pits, which had limited visibility of the race itself, but we had a big screen so we could follow the race, and watching the activity at the pits was pretty cool too. Got to see JPM's last win before his upcoming switch to NASCAR.

Best part of my trip was that the Friday night before the race, we went to dinner at a Brazilian churrascaria, only to run into JPM having dinner (was on his way out though), and a bit later Fernando Alonso showed up and sat at the table right beside us. I was totally starstruck and he was actually a bit shy, but very courteous with me. Got to take a photo with him 2 days before he became the youngest F1 World Champion (I would post it here, but I'm not a paying member of the site yet and can't upload the pic). We flew back home the same Sunday of the race back to Miami, and Jenson Button was on his way back to England. Got him to sign my race program while standing at the security line waiting to enter the international gates. He's the most down to earth guy and was very approachable. Was just standing in line like all the rest of us regular folk, playing with his PSP. Talk about an awesome first experience going to a race!

In any case, if you get there on Friday, go to dinner at Fogo de Chao (the one closest to the Interlagos Track, there are a few locations in Sao Paulo). You never know, you may run into an F1 driver dining with his posse.

Enjoy!

Have you gone to any other races? Although Brazil was my first, I think there'll be many more. I'm thinking Montreal next year.

P.S. - Make sure to take some earplugs
Old 09-13-2006, 07:33 PM

Rodan,

I've yet to be at an F1 race. I was at the Indy 500 this year, so I have some idea of what to expect.

I'm sure my cousins who live in Sao Paulo will pick some nice restaurants for us to eat at. My cousin's husband works for the promotion company, so there could be any number of suprises for me. While I'm ambitious about them, I don't want to expect anything more than what I have already or I could be disappointed when I really should be super ecstatic.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:46 AM

Well, I'm sure you'll enjoy it nonetheless. I'm sure your cousins have been? If not, PM me and I cna give you some tips for race day. They close the streets around the track pretty early that day, so it's good to plan ahead how you will get there and to try to get to the track early as it's general admission seats (no numbered seats, just by grandstand section) and you want to make sure to not be too far back or you'll have your view obstructed because everyone is standing up most of the time, and like I said, it also might take you a while to get to the track from where you will be staying. Plus there are other races before, and they are ok to wtch (They had Trofeo Maserati race before the F! race and some laps for charity by Ferrari owners).

In any case, enjoy, you'll have a blast!
Old 09-14-2006, 12:21 PM

Rodan,

My cousin (cousin's husband actually) works for the promotion company. He has been several times, and I'm sure all of them since returning to Sao Paulo.

My understanding is that the section in the 'infield' is the VIP grandstand. - don't know if the same rules/mentality apply there as general admission seating for the masses.

PM me along whatever else you've experienced. I don't know how much time I'll have with them before the race, as I'm sure he'll be pre-occupied.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:01 PM

woot!