Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

Tony Kanaan vs Lewis Hamilton

Old 06-02-2017, 03:12 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Tony Kanaan vs Lewis Hamilton

Lewis Hamilton in an interview:
“Fernando, in his first qualifying, came fifth. Does that say something about (the level) of IndyCar?” Hamilton told L’Equipe. “Great drivers, if they can’t succeed in Formula One, look for titles in other races, but to see him come fifth against drivers who do this all year around is… interesting.”

Tony Kanaan:
"What can I say? The guy (Hamilton) competed in a two-car world championship last year and was second, so I don't think he can say much,"

Old 06-02-2017, 09:52 AM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

This really has indycar fans ticked off. Rightfully so.

What he said was a cheap shot, but not necessarily innacurate. I love indycar, but I realize that the majority of these drivers had aspirations of competing in formula 1 and fell short for one reason or another.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:57 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDan
Lewis Hamilton in an interview:
“Fernando, in his first qualifying, came fifth. Does that say something about (the level) of IndyCar?” Hamilton told L’Equipe. “Great drivers, if they can’t succeed in Formula One, look for titles in other races, but to see him come fifth against drivers who do this all year around is… interesting.”

Tony Kanaan:
"What can I say? The guy (Hamilton) competed in a two-car world championship last year and was second, so I don't think he can say much,"

I mean...

One of the two is a 3x F1 World Champion, reliability issues away from a fourth (2016) and a rookie mistake from a fifth (2007). Widely regarded as a generational talent along with Alonso, Schumacher, Senna and those before him. A global star.

The other is a driver little known outside of certain, smaller racing circles, who was not good enough to make it past Formula 3. Winner on one Indy 500 & one IRL championship.

Not sure he's got a leg to stand on here.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:30 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Thing 1: You don't impress anyone by denigrating others. How easy would it have been to just say "damn, Alonso qualified well doing something new". But no, he had to put in a jab that only makes himself look smaller.

Thing 2: What Kanaan said is funny as f**k and the *perfect* response!

Thing 3: Kanaan makes an entirely valid point. You win in F1 first and foremost because you are on the right team. Hammy only had one guy to beat in 2016. And he came in 2nd... In IndyCar half the field has a viable shot. You are racing with a LOT more competitive cars/drivers.

LH has been with the right team 5 years out of his 10-year career in F1, and has won it 3 times out of those 5 golden opportunities. Not bad, not bad at all...

But mainly, the whole thing is fricking funny! The F1 drivers are such pompous arses in general, SOOOO precious, I'm not above enjoying one of them getting a well-deserved burn
Old 06-02-2017, 11:36 AM

Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts

I think that they were both asshole statements but Kanaan was way funnier.
Old 06-04-2017, 04:14 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Kanaan has raced more different venues than "Ham Bone", Kanaan has a ride in the GT40 at LeMans this year. Something the Justin Bieber of F1 can only dream of.
Old 06-04-2017, 04:53 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point
Kanaan has raced more different venues than "Ham Bone", Kanaan has a ride in the GT40 at LeMans this year. Something the Justin Bieber of F1 can only dream of.
Except that if HAM approached either Toyota or Porsche they'd put him in one of their LMP1-H monsters in an instant.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:41 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Except that neither of those race teams want him, the logical one would be MB and they haven't asked either.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:10 AM

Hit dog gonna holler.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point
MB and they haven't asked either.

With what team?

Quick Reply: Tony Kanaan vs Lewis Hamilton