Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

Tony Kanaan vs Lewis Hamilton

Old 06-04-2017, 09:57 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Any of them, the MB-AMG's campaigned in the Blancpain series in Europe or the three MB-AMG teams in the states.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:21 AM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

So Mercedes should put together a LeMans effort to allow Lewis to race?

Hamilton's statements weren't smart, but one can't discount his skills. I'm certain if he showed an interest in LeMans or another series, he would do quite well.

Last edited by Nerd-Vol; 06-04-2017 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:44 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point
Except that neither of those race teams want him, the logical one would be MB and they haven't asked either.
Says who? I guarantee Merc has clauses in his contract preventing him from doing any other racing.

Because he's the most valuable man on the grid.

But yeah, Merc is paying him 30-40 Million a year for fun.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:26 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

The very good drivers, especially those that can adapt can race in any series IMO.

Would Hamilton do well in IndyCar, I'm sure. Will he reign? I don't think so given how close the cars are to each other.

If his intent was to belittle, as I think it was, it isn't right. That said this is another storm in a teacup that shouldn't take away from the spectacle of this years Indy500. It was a great race and I enjoyed watching Rossi and Alonso stay in contention until Sato had his day.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:53 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm kinda disappointed in Hamilton's comments. Yes, Alonso did well in qualifying but I don't think you can compare talent based on Indy qualifying. If your car is set up your lap is flat out. Any driver in that car would have had the same result.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:32 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,590 Likes on 1,905 Posts

I think it was stupid to interview Lewis after his bad quali run, plus he races in F1 which is considered to be the pinnacle of racing. I can't believe some of you are actually surprised he's not impressed by Indy. Then there's the minor detail that Alonso and Lewis aren't exactly friends.

Lewis is right, quite a few F1 drivers went to race Indy cars. I'm sure Kanaan didn't grow up wanting to race Indy and wanted to run in F1, his remarks are purely sour grapes IMO.

I like Indy, but comparing it to F1 isn't apples to apples. Indy is pretty much spec car racing with proper sponsors and live TV time. There's one chassis and 2 engine suppliers. Hell, Andretti alone has 4 Indy drivers and had 5 entries into this years 500.
The following users liked this post:
adrs2k (06-07-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 09:43 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by sam_spider
I think it was stupid to interview Lewis after his bad quali run, plus he races in F1 which is considered to be the pinnacle of racing. I can't believe some of you are actually surprised he's not impressed by Indy. Then there's the minor detail that Alonso and Lewis aren't exactly friends.

Lewis is right, quite a few F1 drivers went to race Indy cars. I'm sure Kanaan didn't grow up wanting to race Indy and wanted to run in F1, his remarks are purely sour grapes IMO.

I like Indy, but comparing it to F1 isn't apples to apples. Indy is pretty much spec car racing with proper sponsors and live TV time. There's one chassis and 2 engine suppliers. Hell, Andretti alone has 4 Indy drivers and had 5 entries into this years 500.
A++++++

But one thing, Lewis & Alo seem to get on very well, now that they aren't teammates. Those two were a recipe for disaster as teammates but it seems like they have immense respect for one another as drivers/competitors; I can't recall them ever having an issue on track after 2007.
The following users liked this post:
sam_spider (06-07-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 01:22 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

I don't think it's sour grapes from Kanaan at all. Simple case of LH made a diss and TK took the opportunity to BURN him in the worst (best) way possible! Damn...

I do not doubt that TK actually appreciates LH's skill, but the guy made a smart-ass remark leaving himself wide open, so BANG!

Is F1 the pinnacle of racing? The formula has sucked for *racing* as long as I've followed it, and they've NEVER fixed the fundamental issues with it that prevent the cars from being able to RACE, if anything they've only made it worse over the years (hint: relying on a big multi-element front wing is a formula for non-raceability). They have added a lot of dumb gimmicks like mandated use of different tires, but the worst is DRS, that's an insult to racing. They can't race each other without the trailing car being given a HUGE advantage down the straight, so it isn't anything like the pinnacle of racing, IMO. And they've eliminated most of what made it awesome. The sound of V10s, V8s, and V12s racing competitively against each other was pretty epic. V6 hybrid turbos all sound alike and sound pretty lame...

ANyway, I still watch F1 but most times I end up asking myself why...
Old 06-07-2017, 01:51 PM
Site Moderator

Received 2,590 Likes on 1,905 Posts

Lol. You sound as sour as Kanaan.
The following 2 users liked this post by sam_spider:
adrs2k (06-08-2017), TsukubaCody (06-07-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 01:55 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

??? Not at all. Like I said, I watch F1, nearly every race. But the sport definitely has MAJOR issues, and the racing is usually nonexistent.

Also, Kanaan wasn't being sour at all IMO, he took the opportunity to make a fairly hilarious comment. Tee hee!

If you wanna see RACING, watch MotoGP this weekend...

Quick Reply: Tony Kanaan vs Lewis Hamilton