Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

Tony Kanaan vs Lewis Hamilton

Old 06-07-2017, 04:50 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

I'm with ZDan. Don't think TK was being sour. They were just mouthing off and that's OK. IndyCar is a spec series but has gotten more interesting and I hope it continues to grow. I've come to admire the series and the racing all thanks to Raptor and his posts on here.

Before we start dissing drivers, bear in mind, that a chosen few make it through the ranks and become potential candidates for F1. Of the lot, some get a shot because they are really good and yet others like Vitaly Petrov, Sakon Yamamoto, Narain Karthikeyan, and not to forget Pastor Maldonado, break in by virtue of their financial backing or sponsorship. The rest obviously have to look for work elsewhere. So to say Rossi and TK are any less drivers I think is a fallacy. Lance Stroll may have the talent, but that has come due to the large backing from his father. The $20 million payment to Williams so young Lance could have a car at hand to drive at tracks all over the world, owning Circuit Mt. Tremblant and shutting down the track as and when Lance needed to practice have all helped towards getting him there. If he has taken the seat of another deserving young driver, then what is that young driver to do, except look for openings elsewhere. Examples are Brendon Hartley and Pipo Derani who've made a name in endurance racing. Everyone talks about Nico Hulkenberg winning the 24 Hours of Le Mans, but that was also in part due to Nick Tandy and Earl Bamber who could potentially also have been good F1 drivers had they gotten the chance.

F1 will be my first love - but I have to admit watching one team dominate for a series of years is starting to tire me out. This season is better in the sense that Ferrari is taking the fight to the Silver Arrows. It would be even better if Red Bull were competitive and Max Verstappen and Daniel Ricciardo got into the mix too.

Watching the PWC TC race at Lime Rock right now and it is exciting watching the cars battle around the bull ring. I wish F1 could be more like that but it probably wont be. It is a manufacturers and engineers championship as much as it is a drivers fight. But it would be better for the show if at least three of the teams were fighting tooth and nail down to the finish.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:13 PM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

If you're picking talentless drivers....Maldonado is not a good one to pick.

Pastor had talent, don't forget the PERFECT race he drove in 2012 when he won, holding off Alonso in the much superior Ferrari.

To be honest, I'm not sure I've ever seen such a masterfully driven race.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:28 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
If you're picking talentless drivers....Maldonado is not a good one to pick.

Pastor had talent, don't forget the PERFECT race he drove in 2012 when he won, holding off Alonso in the much superior Ferrari.

To be honest, I'm not sure I've ever seen such a masterfully driven race.
They are not necessarily talentless. They have the speed to drive in F1. With Maldonado, the issue is not so much about him being a race winner but rather his horrible lack of consistency and frequent crashes. The really good guys bring the car home and finish as best as they can.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:42 PM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

Of course. Some can learn that (Grosjean has evolved into a great, consistent driver), some can't but tease tremendous talent (Maldo)
Old 06-08-2017, 04:08 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,907 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDan
??? Not at all. Like I said, I watch F1, nearly every race. But the sport definitely has MAJOR issues, and the racing is usually nonexistent.

Also, Kanaan wasn't being sour at all IMO, he took the opportunity to make a fairly hilarious comment. Tee hee!

If you wanna see RACING, watch MotoGP this weekend...
Sure, F1 has issues, but that's more to do with the regulations. At least in F1 the fastest car/driver is the one who wins, it rarely comes down to strategy unlike Indy.

Quali in Indy is essentially useless on an oval track, strategy is usually what wins, that and drafting off others. The only joy in Indy is the last 10 or so laps, the rest is fairly irrelevant.

To to stay on topic, Kanaan's retort to Lewis is pure butt hurt on TK's part, I seriously doubt many of the current F1 drivers give a toss about Indy racing or are able to name more than 2 or 3 drivers, unless they lose their ride of course, then Indy is on their radar.

I also agree with A2, money definitely drives F1, and I don't like that, but that's the way it is unfortunately. I wouldn't and don't blame the drivers for having the best seats, I blame the teams, and the way the sport is set up and how the money is distributed.

This year is far more interesting to watch than previous years. Funny thing though, I remember less people moaning when it was RBR dominating. Lewis came from nothing, he had to work his way through, and yes he's been extremely fortunate.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:44 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Sam - there was moaning and groaning while Seb was on his streak with RB. Just ask Composite Guru who works for RB.

There is no denying Lewis' achievements. I have family in the Caribbean and they are all super proud of him.

Also this year the silver arrows are the faster cars. But the Ferrari's are gentler on tires and strategy is enabling them to win.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:55 PM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Really, F1 drivers succeed with same factors as all of us do in our own lives.

Talent, hard work and luck. Everybody needs at least some of each. Of course at the extremes there are those with talent who work hard with no luck and idiots who hit the lottery.

IMHO, if you've managed to get a seat in Indy you've got a better chance of being a winner because of the relative equality of the equipment/teams.

In Formula One, you've got to land in the right car when you're peaking and the team is peaking to have a chance.

LH should know enough to respect other drivers. As talented as he is , if he were 6'3 with a thick build he'd be doing something else.

Love TK's comeback quip and that he's not bitter that his schnozz is outside of FIA regulations