Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

US F1 coverage just got about a BILLION times better!!

Old 02-17-2018, 12:48 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default US F1 coverage just got about a BILLION times better!!

Well, I really wondered but didn't believe this would happen.

Since Disney owns both SkySports and ESPN, I wondered when F1 split with FOX in the US and contracted with ESPN to broadcast the races, if the SkySports team would somehow be mixed with the USA team, whomever that may be ('cause ESPN doesn't have crap for F1 pundits now).

It looks like we are going to get the SkySports feed here in the US now.

This is great because the US fans will finally, for the first time in history, get an F1 broadcasting team doesn't consider the US audience as if they've never watched a car race before.

Not that I didn't like Matchett, Hobbs, and Varsha (notice I did not mention the squeaky-voiced Diffy), but the coverage just sucked.

http://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/22...d-championship
Old 02-17-2018, 03:02 PM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

as I understand it, they will actually be at all of the races.

If they do their own productions instead of commenting on Bernies' feed it could be better all around.

I'll miss Hobbs' colorful style and wit though
Old 02-17-2018, 04:47 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

davidc1 - correct the URL in your post, lest people flag you as a spammer
Old 02-17-2018, 04:49 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by gerry100
as I understand it, they will actually be at all of the races.

If they do their own productions instead of commenting on Bernies' feed it could be better all around.

I'll miss Hobbs' colorful style and wit though
It's Liberty Media's feed now. They'll use it but they will do a bit more than Will Buxton used to do. No idea if they'll show all of that here. I am skeptical and will reserve judgement until I've watched the first race weekend.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:52 PM

Fix the link. That was weird. Cuz I copied and pasted it in the first place. Here it is again corrected

http://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/22...d-championship
Old 02-17-2018, 04:54 PM

It's always been Liberty's / f o m / Bernice feed. Everywhere in the world. From what I understand, the US will now simply get Sky Sports feed. Where their commentators and the amount of things they can do are infinitely better. Hopefully, in the US, you will also get the pre and post race Productions which are awesome.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:11 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Based on current evidence, the ESPN coverage is a billion times worse. How can they eff up with having the feed from Sky Sports and their competent commentary team.

DIffey, Hobbes, Matchett, Varsha and Buxton may not be as good, but they had a homey american quality as much as only one of them is native born.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by A 2
Based on current evidence, the ESPN coverage is a billion times worse. How can they eff up with having the feed from Sky Sports and their competent commentary team.

DIffey, Hobbes, Matchett, Varsha and Buxton may not be as good, but they had a homey american quality as much as only one of them is native born.
Well, I just got done watching the difference between the US pre-race coverage and Sky TV pre-race coverage. Sky did 1:45hr of coverage vs ESPN's 14min. You guys here in the US got ripped off.

It looks like ESPN ****ed up with their linkup because the pre-race show was supposed to be 30min, but the US got about 20min of pretty much nothing. While you did get Martin Brundles Grid Walk, is wasn't the normal one. It was all mixed up and interrupted, even on Sky. They kept cutting from Brundle to FOM feeds, and he didn't get a chance to talk to many people. It's usually a lot better than Bruxton because Brundle has more cred.

I hope in the future the US gets more of the prerace.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:15 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

It F'in sucked IMHO and I'm not alone according to Jalopnik.

https://jalopnik.com/espns-f1-season...phe-1824057087

So davidc1, are you saying you were wrong in your first post?
Old 03-25-2018, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by freq
It F'in sucked IMHO and I'm not alone according to Jalopnik.

https://jalopnik.com/espns-f1-season...phe-1824057087

So davidc1, are you saying you were wrong in your first post?

I'm in the middle of watching the race right now on Sky. Prerace sucked. Last years (and before) prerace coverage in the US was better than what the US got this year.

As far as the race goes, I'm only 20 min in. But, if the US coverage is the exact same as Sky, and you thought it was worse, then something must have gone "wrong" with Sky's coverage. Normally, their team of Brundle and Croft, along with Kravitz and Hill in the pits is far better than Diffey, Hobbs and Matchett. If is wasn't, keep watching, it will get better.

Whats really to bad is the US isn't getting the full coverage of pre and post qualifying and pre and post race coverage. That's about 4 hrs of really good extra stuff....I haven't read any reports like Jalopniks yet cause I'm still watching the race.

At least Bruxton gets to keep working...looks like he's working for FOM itself as one of their pit commentators.

Quick Reply: US F1 coverage just got about a BILLION times better!!