Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

What do you guys think about Ken Block & Gymkhana?

Old 12-08-2010, 05:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you guys think about Ken Block & Gymkhana?

Andrew Gillis from Gillis Fabrication was supposed to be there in his S2000. We saw him out at the Gymkhana Grid media day a few months prior. There was this pretty stock looking S2000 out there that just just tearing it up and we were all like who the heck is that? Turns out it was Andrew Gillis.

Link to full article:
http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/ar...a-speedway.aspx

He did not make it to the event and S2000's were unrepresented but it was an awesome show for me anyhow. What do you guys think?

Old 12-08-2010, 09:32 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks kind of neat. Like Pro Solo with doughnuts
Old 12-09-2010, 12:36 AM

I've seen the Gillis motorsports s2000 in person, the one they use for gymkhana. It doesn't have much on it, but it seems to be doing really well.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:13 AM

It takes an amazing level of car control to do it on the level that Block and Foust do it. I suppose top dollar sponsorship doesn't hurt either.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:30 AM

My personal opinion on Ken Block is that he has a high level talent for stunting and showcasing but lacks true racing vision and ability. His flashiness wows alot of people and they fail to see his true racing ability or lack off. Good driver just not a fan of him.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this gymkhana thing looks really cool. takes the car control of drifting but removes much of the subjectiveness, which always turned me off from it. with they would do more of it.

still not entirely clear though--do the officials add/deduct points for "not enough smoke?" (this was mentioned a few times, and their are conflicting posts.) are there are subjective elements at all? if this is purely for time and penalty points for hitting stuff, and drifiting is actually the fastest and perhaps only way through some corners, then that would be best.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:39 PM
Former Sponsor

The judging part only comes into play as a yes/no factor I believe. There is no points factor for style, angle, etc. It all comes down to times only. There is also the penalties for hitting a cone/barrel/etc.

Not enough sidways = 1 sec penalty.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bryan@BerkTechnology.com,Dec 9 2010, 03:39 PM
The judging part only comes into play as a yes/no factor I believe. There is no points factor for style, angle, etc. It all comes down to times only. There is also the penalties for hitting a cone/barrel/etc.

Not enough sidways = 1 sec penalty.
awwww... why couldn't they do away with that? ....the drifting thing turns off a lot of people cause it appears unnecessary. why not design the course so it forces such types of driving? it appears that's sorta what they did, but why have that silly rule about "not enough sideways?"
Old 12-09-2010, 02:14 PM

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

I think Gymkhana is pretty cool.

Ken Block is an incredible shoe salesman. His driving is... well. Let's just say, anyone with the amount of practice he has had, could do just as good, I'm sure.

Tanner Foust, now that guy... hats off.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:17 PM

Good car control, yes. Ken Block in WRC = fail (he can't compete with the Europeans)

Quick Reply: What do you guys think about Ken Block & Gymkhana?