Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

Why F1 will not be coming to Las Vegas

Old 11-17-2007, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why F1 will not be coming to Las Vegas

In light of the huge financial failure of the ChampCar LV Grand Prix last year I do not expect we will see Las Vegas hosting an F1 street race . . . .

http://www.lvrj.com/news/11045031.html
Old 11-18-2007, 01:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Slow Down. I doubt that any conclusions about F1 can be made as a result of the failure of "Chump Car". If a proper track is put in place and the event is promoted correctly, F1 can make it in Vegas. Back in the 80s, F1 never had a proper track in Vegas. They raced in a parking lot!!!!

Mark
Old 11-18-2007, 06:42 PM
Banned

Formula One would definitely work in LV. All that place needs is a proper track and facility. Then they can hold all sorts of motorsports events there. The more people that visit LV...the more they are apt to gamble...so its a win-win for the city. I am surprised nothing has been done yet.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:53 PM

it would be sweet if there was a street race in vegas especially if it involves the LV strip hehe
Old 11-20-2007, 02:25 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by karwath,Nov 17 2007, 05:06 PM
In light of the huge financial failure of the ChampCar LV Grand Prix last year..........
Don't you mean Formula Ford ?
Old 11-20-2007, 05:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GPMike,Nov 18 2007, 10:42 PM
Formula One would definitely work in LV. All that place needs is a proper track and facility.

Then they can hold all sorts of motorsports events there. The more people that visit LV...the more they are apt to gamble...so its a win-win for the city. I am surprised nothing has been done yet.
Sorry, do not agree... Indy had a proper track and facility, and in the end Bernie could not pull his head out of his own asss to see the value of a US GP, so we have none.

In fact, just about any major city would work if they had a "proper track and facility" near by, IF, Bernie actually was motivated to have a US GP.

I'm frankly very happy nothing has been done to make Vegas happen, I'm an F1 Fan, I don't want F1 cars on some cobbled together street course like we see in Champ/IRL, I want to see F1 cars at a true track. Plus, and I have said it many times, as the FIA governs the F1 garages, I don't see how a street course would work. Garages would have to be built to F1 specs and I'm sure that would be millions and millions of dollars, and then they would be used once a year. Come on, what city wants to do that??? This ain't Monaco...
Old 11-20-2007, 06:38 AM

I used to think the U.S. market would be able to support F1 but they are so absorbed with NASCAR that any other form of racing will have to play second fiddle. This means lower television ratings and that is what appears to be the bone of contention with F1's management.

After hearing Martin Brundle this year talking to Bernie on one of his infamous pre race grid walks, Bernie gives the impression that the U.S. is so really needed to globalize F1 into the U.S. market, however when push comes to shove, all of a sudden excuses are made.

But I wonder if he remembers saying this back in 2006,

""It does not matter to F1 if there is no Grand Prix in the US," Ecclestone said. "What do we get from America? Aggravation, that's about all. If you say 'Good Morning' over there and it's five past 12, you end up with a lawsuit. We have never got any sponsors out there. The television has never taken off' we have more viewers in Malta than over there. If they want to continue having a round of the F1 World Championship, I am happy to talk to them. But I am not prepared to subsidise a race in America."

Honestly, I really don't see F1 in a U.S. city for a very, very, very long time..
Old 11-20-2007, 06:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Nov 20 2007, 09:33 AM
Sorry, do not agree... Indy had a proper track and facility, and in the end Bernie could not pull his head out of his own asss to see the value of a US GP, so we have none.

In fact, just about any major city would work if they had a "proper track and facility" near by, IF, Bernie actually was motivated to have a US GP.

I'm frankly very happy nothing has been done to make Vegas happen, I'm an F1 Fan, I don't want F1 cars on some cobbled together street course like we see in Champ/IRL, I want to see F1 cars at a true track. Plus, and I have said it many times, as the FIA governs the F1 garages, I don't see how a street course would work. Garages would have to be built to F1 specs and I'm sure that would be millions and millions of dollars, and then they would be used once a year. Come on, what city wants to do that??? This ain't Monaco...
I agree with you that Indy had a proper track. The problem with Indy though was not the track but Indianapolis itself.....its not exactly a happening place and hot spot for the rich and glamorous, and therein lies the problem. LV takes care of that problem in spades. With the close proximity to Cali, LV is a veritable playground of the rich, the fabulous and celebs and wannabes alike. Its the perfect venue to have a grand prix in the states. Vegas is all about spectacles.

Money is NEVER a problem in Vegas either. They put up multi-billion dollar hotels, so a few hundred mill for a certified F1 track is hardly news for them. Like I said, they can also use it for other motorsports as well. I mean if NASCAR can succeed in LV, surely the mighty F1 can.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by GPMike,Nov 20 2007, 10:50 AM
I agree with you that Indy had a proper track. The problem with Indy though was not the track but Indianapolis itself.....its not exactly a happening place and hot spot for the rich and glamorous, and therein lies the problem. LV takes care of that problem in spades. With the close proximity to Cali, LV is a veritable playground of the rich, the fabulous and celebs and wannabes alike. Its the perfect venue to have a grand prix in the states. Vegas is all about spectacles.
I just don't think the city of Indy was at fault, I don't think a city has to be a major tourist attraction like Vegas to make F1 work in the US. What would make F1 work here is a bigger fan base, more people willing to travel to the race, and some f'ing support from the old white-haired grumpy tight-wad known as Bernie. I just don't think the city the race is in is such a big deal, it has to have the basic infastructure for sure, but I think the bigger draw whould be the quality of the track.

As of January 1, 2006, the municipality of Li
Old 11-20-2007, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by s2ksimon,Nov 20 2007, 10:38 AM
But I wonder if he {Bernie E.} remembers saying this back in 2006,

""It does not matter to F1 if there is no Grand Prix in the US," Ecclestone said. "What do we get from America? Aggravation, that's about all. If you say 'Good Morning' over there and it's five past 12, you end up with a lawsuit. We have never got any sponsors out there. The television has never taken off' we have more viewers in Malta than over there. If they want to continue having a round of the F1 World Championship, I am happy to talk to them. But I am not prepared to subsidise a race in America."

Honestly, I really don't see F1 in a U.S. city for a very, very, very long time..

Here in lies the greatest truth, the US will not have a GP for a long time, because Bernie is an asss.

Quick Reply: Why F1 will not be coming to Las Vegas