Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

Wow, what a wreck at RA today!

Old 09-24-2006, 08:39 PM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts
Default Wow, what a wreck at RA today!

Katherine Legge had a violent crash today, as the laps were winding down in the 12th round of competition this year. Legge's rear wing was seen flying off before she lost control, traveling at approximately 165 mph. With no downforce, she had absolutely no control as she went into a slide before crossing the track and slamming hard into the wall on the 4.048-mile road course.

Once she hit the wall, her PKV Racing Lola went airborne into cartwheels as the car started to break apart, as it should. A second wall hit happened with debris still flying, before finally slamming into the catchfence. The cockpit area landed upside down with her still strapped inside.

The crash was quite violent, but Legge was seen walking out of the Champ Car medical hospital later, waving and smiling at the crowd and the television cameras, reassuring everyone that she was just fine.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazing the advances in safety that have been made in the past 10-20 years. Without them, racing could not be at the level it is now.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:29 PM

just channel-surfed to speed and saw the replay of the accident

amazing crash .. the rear slid to hit the barriers and the car in the air in pieces .. cockpit spinned and rolled on the grass ..

very glad she was ok and was able to come out and say hi ..
Old 09-25-2006, 07:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Putting all "women can't drive" jokes aside...I am glad she came out of the crash waving I know that saftey items are there to keep you alive, but to allow you to walk after something like that. Truly amazing. Makes me feel better about getting my rollbar.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:26 AM

I was watching the race live and wasn't sure if she was going to make it. For her to walk away is incredible. to Champ car for their safety requirements and quick response of their corner workers.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

they had dr. steve olvey on wind tunnel last night...he was so proud of the CHAMP medical program....he put the "travelling medical team" program in place....and to date, only CHAMP implements it.

they also spoke about reverse engineering crashed cars for safety enhancements...it was interesting.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had come into the house only minutes before the crash, so I actually saw it. I have to say; I was thinking this was going to turn into a tragedy. When I saw the wheels fly off it was bad, when I saw the engine/ tranny and entire rear of the car separate from the driver's cell it was really bad, and when I say the driver's cell rolling down the grass it was all over in my mind.

Not only was it impressive you saw her walk out of the medical area and wave, but they got an interview with her before the end of the broadcast, holy crap.

Old 09-25-2006, 11:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tinkfist,Sep 25 2006, 10:19 AM
Putting all "women can't drive" jokes aside...
The accident was clearly a mechanical failure.

At that speed when your rear wing flies off the car and you not only loose your downforce but you go into a corner, no driver male or female, is going to save the car as far as I'm concerned.

The video was very clear, the rear wing left her car and the driver behind her confirmed it because it hit his car.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Sep 25 2006, 12:52 PM
I had come into the house only minutes before the crash, so I actually saw it. I have to say; I was thinking this was going to turn into a tragedy. When I saw the wheels fly off it was bad, when I saw the engine/ tranny and entire rear of the car separate from the driver's cell it was really bad, and when I say the driver's cell rolling down the grass it was all over in my mind.
Seen her quotes? What she was most afraid of was that the engine wouldn't break off. She said she was mighty glad when it did, because it meant she probably wouldn't end up on fire.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:40 PM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts

I suspect she was still in some shock but she was joking shortly afterwards about wearing a dress to the dinner afterwards and having brused knees.

I suspect anyone watching it live had to think the very worst.

Quick Reply: Wow, what a wreck at RA today!