Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

@chingwingding's [Auto]biography - Daily-Driven SSM AP1 S2000

Old 01-28-2019, 12:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default @chingwingding's [Auto]biography - Daily-Driven SSM AP1 S2000

ENTRY #001 - INTRODUCTION

Oh come on, someone please give me some damn credit for the title. I sat here for a good half an hour just for my two brain cells to come up with that one.

Hello everyone!

After years of lurking on this thread even before I've owned one, I've had thoughts here and there about creating one of these threads where I can document my progress to allow others to see as well as get insight from for those who do pop in and would like to help contribute to my dream vision of my S2000. Please sit back, grab your popcorn, and enjoy scrolling endlessly as you witness either the up-rise of my vision or the doom of my car. Either one works - both can be enjoyed with a nice bag of popcorn in front of you.

It starts back in March of 2016. Well actually, way before that. For years before I've even owned the S2000 I have now I knew I wanted one - a Grand Prix White AP2 S2000 (ugh, still sounds so perfect to this day). My obsession with the car started back when I was in elementary school - most likely around 2009 and 2010 where my cousin-in-law owned a Chicane S2000 for two years before returning it back to the dealership. After years of obsessing and drooling over Google images of S2000's, the time came to where I received my license at 16 years old. As soon as I received my driver's license, shortly after I found the baby I have today. Spoiled? Yes, I know. I'm grateful for the lifestyle I was born into, and I am thankful for the opportunities given to me with such access to the things I want.

04 Mar. 2016 - The First Day

Here she was before I got my hands on her. Clean Title, Four Owners (she's been hoein' around I don't mind though I forgive her for her past), and just a smidget over 50,000 miles. Only modifications that were done at the time were Skunk2 Lowering Springs, UK Exhaust Mod, and the god awful plasti-dip job that was on it's way out.

She was in great condition and I still remember the feeling of the day when the keys were placed into my hands. I promised I would take great care of her, and I did for some part.

28 Jul. 2017

A bit of a jump from the last photo yes, and this was over a year after I owned her. In that year, I added:
- BC Racing Coilovers (14 Kg/mm square setup, but recently the rear springs were swapped out for 10 Kg/mm springs)
- 17x9.0 +45 F1 Silver Enkei RPF-1
- Koyorad Aluminum Radiator
- Eibach 32mm Front Sway Bar
- HKS Hi-Power Single Exit Exhaust
- Rockstar Garage 70mm Test Pipe
- K&N FIPK Intake
- BRIDE ZETA III Bucket Seat

This was a fun setup and I do miss it honestly. Sometimes I spend my days looking at Wrecky_Flowers's and Andrew Hake's Instagram and S2Ki threads to drool over the simplistic but clean look they have. I am tempted to go back, but I do still want to continue the vision I've always had for the car.

Here is how the car looks of as now:
05 Jan. 2019

It's a tad bit of a shift from the first year or so that I've owned it, but in all honesty not much as changed.

Current Mod List:
- Battle Aero Honda S2000 Chassis Mount Front Splitter
- BC Racing BR Series Coilovers (14 Kg/mm F, 10 Kg/mm R)
- BRIDE ZETA III Bucket Seat
- Eibach 32mm Front Sway Bar
- EVS 70-SSP Cat-Back Exhaust
- K&N FIPK Intake
- KarbonHaus Amuse-Mugen Hybrid Hardtop
- Koyorad Aluminum Radiator
- ShineAuto Amuse R1-Style Replica Front Bumper
- Volk Racing CE28RT (17x10.0 +45)
- Voltex Racing 1S Wing
- Winmax W4 Brake Pads

It's funny because all these parts on my car but I'm not even close to the dream build I have had in mind for the past few years.

I'm looking to build something pristine and authentic all across the car - that includes the hardtop and the front bumper that are currently replicas. I'm looking for something that's nice, clean, and most importantly fun to look at and drive. Don't get me wrong - the S2000 is a great car to drive and nothing compares. However, there does come times after daily commuting this car for over 45,000 miles in the three years that I've owned it that it does get a little exhausting and dull to drive. Maybe that's just my spoiled side talking though.

A lot of revision is on the way and I would love for you all to witness and help chime in on helping me develop my car into the car I've always envisioned in my head.

Please enjoy as I attempt to create the car of my dreams!

Last edited by chingwingding; 01-29-2019 at 07:59 AM.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:42 PM

Default ENTRY #002: Ride Height Adjustment

One of the big factors to why I didn't enjoy my car was because it was simply too low to commute in - I was tucking tire in the front, which resulted in me buckling my fenders and eating a lot of tires for when I didn't angle correctly. I finally decided to step out of the low life and raise it up a bit.

I raised the car up about an inch from where it had previously been set. It actually took a couple days to configure because I did mess up some suspension geometry when I did it the first time around, but after getting advice and step-by-step procedure on what to do to configure it to how it once rode before. After hours of refining the coilovers, I did everything right!

Here is the aftermath after adjusting the coilovers one inch higher than what it had normally been. You can see some of the mighty fine bacon action happening in the front fender. I'm looking to get that fixed soon. Do you guys think that would be something repairable?

I went ahead and made my measurements based on how Andrew Hake made his for his S2000 (thank you for the indirect assistance, Andrew). I measured the length from the bottom of the wheel barrel to the fender and made my calculations on how I should adjust my coilovers based on those calculations. Here are my height specs for those of you who are interested:

DF 558.8mm 558.8mm PF
DR 561.975mm 561.975mm PR

I'm currently on BC Racing BR Series coilovers, and despite the backlash they receive from the community I do quite enjoy them. My buddy Nathaniel helped me calibrate them to give them the droop they need and the proper suspension travel to ensure a quality experience from them. I'm quite new to the terminology and whatnot since these concepts were introduced to me quite recently, but I can say that my BC Racing coilovers do ride very comfortably and hold up well for spirited drives. I've done multiple autocross days in both Northern and Southern California, as well as a track day back in June at Streets of Willow. I do plan on moving on to the famous set of Ohlins Road and Track coilovers that I've always wanted, but for now these BC Racing BR coilovers are just perfect for my needs.

I've also set the dampening settings to full soft, so that along with the calibration that I had done with the assistance of my buddy the coilovers ride very comfortably and soak up all the bumps now. Looking forward to driving her with the new, comfortable setup!

Last edited by chingwingding; 01-29-2019 at 08:01 AM.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:04 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

You've made nice progress for the most part but man that splitter looks bad.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
You've made nice progress for the most part but man that splitter looks bad.
Thank you! The splitter was for business and marketing purposes, but it doesn’t align with the route I have in mind for the future. I plan to remove it after getting more photos for Battle Aero to display and advertise for their product.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:05 PM

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by chingwingding

Thank you! The splitter was for business and marketing purposes, but it doesn’t align with the route I have in mind for the future. I plan to remove it after getting more photos for Battle Aero to display and advertise for their product.
needs more cowbell, I mean splitter. The real issue is that it’s not big enough.

J/K keep up to work, good luck with your progress!
Old 01-29-2019, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Tsxtx

needs more cowbell, I mean splitter. The real issue is that it’s not big enough.

J/K keep up to work, good luck with your progress!
I haven’t found a need to use a splitter yet simply because I’m not fast enough, but at the same time that could be applicable to the wing I have as well. At least the wing doesn’t get in the way with much when I have it on versus the splitter where I’m beating it up every day everywhere I go.

Slowly but surely I’ll make the car enjoyable again! We’ve got a long way to go.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:06 PM

Default ENTRY #003 - No Money, Mo' Problems

After taking the S2000 in to Chewerks last Thursday (31 Jan. 2019), we managed to fix one of the many issues that the S2000 has been having.

A few weeks before fixing it, I was making my way back home from school until a CEL showed up on my dash. This was the first CEL I've experienced, and me being a natural over-thinker I panicked and limped my way to the local O'Reilly's to get a reading of what was wrong. The diagnosis concluded with a couple codes:

P0122: TPS "A" Circuit Low Input
7-2: Internal Failure of SRS Unit

The SRS light has been on for a little longer than the CEL but I wasn't too worried about it because it was just the airbags, but now that the CEL is on I'm worried for the health of my car and I decide to take action as quick as I can. My 100K mile maintenance is approaching, so I decided to buy a new TPS from Ballade Sports as well as other maintenance items - new spark plugs, transmission fluid, and differential fluid.

I took the car in to Chewerks on Thursday to have everything adjusted as well as the alignment after raising the car and everything went smoothly. If I could suggest anything, it's to get your work done by Rob at Chewerks. He is a very welcoming and nice person with a lot of expertise about S2000's, so I trusted him and I continue to trust him with the work that he performs on my car. We got every procedure done that I asked for, and he even cleaned the MAP sensor and throttle body for me to ensure that the car runs as well as it can. After booting the car back up, the CEL was gone and it was time for the car to re-learn the idles and whatnot.

Apologies for the poor quality photos; I didn't bring the camera and my iPhone 7 camera quality isn't the greatest.

However, just a couple days ago, the CEL showed up again. The idles are running weird again and they're dipping very low. I'm most likely going to bring it back in to Rob to see how we can fix it, but damn the old age on this car is really showing.

While we're on the topic about problems with the car, I figured I would let you all chime in on what exactly I am looking to fix on my car this year aside from modifications.

1.) Check Engine Light & SRS Light
I took it for granted not seeing any lights, but now I will forever cherish a healthy and fully operating car. LOL
I hope to have these fixed ASAP as my emissions regulations check is coming up soon and I should have these situated before taking it for a smog check.

2.) Passenger Door Won't Lock/Unlock
I didn't even know this was an issue until I started having a passenger to come with me more often. The lock doesn't work and I have to use my key to unlock/lock the door for my passenger. At least it makes me look like a gentleman opening the door for her!

3.) Passenger Door Speaker Defective
This happened with the previous speaker on my passenger side door, but it seems like the speaker isn't getting any power or some sort to produce the audio quality that the driver side produces. I haven't cracked down or found the solution to this issue and these speakers are very new, so it irritates me that even with the new speakers there is something wrong on that side of the door and it cannot play music properly like the driver side can.

After all these issues are addressed I think I'll forever cherish the idea of a fully operational and healthy car. It's like when you have a runny or stuffy nose; you begin to reminisce of when you were healthy and didn't have any issues and you start cherishing the moments where you can breathe normally. Or is that just me?

Regardless, I can't wait to have these issues addressed. I guess any further modifications will have to wait!
Old 02-03-2019, 06:48 PM

Default ENTRY #004 - One Light Down, One to Go!

In my last entry I discussed the CEL that arose the day after I had my TPS replaced and my MAP/throttle body cleaned by Chewerks. After visiting my local O'Reilly's today, I discovered the code to be:

P0411: Seconday Air Injector - Incorrect Flow

After scratching my head at it for an hour and browsing the S2Ki forums as well as posting a discussion on Facebook's "S2K Talk & Tech," I decided to pull the car into the garage to analyze if all my hoses were in tact. Lo and behold, it turns out that two small hoses were disconnected from where they were supposed to be connected.

I also took some time to unplug the IACV and clean it a little to make sure that wasn't the issue either. After resetting the ECU by battery terminal removal and letting the car idle for five minutes, I took it out for a drive and I am happy to say that the CEL has disappeared and the car operates like normal again!

Now that one light is down, I have one more to go. That SRS light should be an easy fix; I can't wait to see a cluster that doesn't list any errors.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:31 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I like the fitment on your car (CE28N). What did you do to make it fit? Of course I know fender rolling, -3 degrees camber, and relocate rear bumper tabs is mandatory, but do you have to pull/flare the fenders? If yes, by how much? If you ever track your car with that setup, any problems with it on the track?

Last edited by RicerRabbit; 02-05-2019 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Wording
Old 02-05-2019, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by _badrabbit
I like the fitment on your car (CE28N). What did you do to make it fit? Of course I know fender rolling, -3 degrees camber, and relocate rear bumper tabs is mandatory, but do you have to pull/flare the fenders? If yes, by how much? If you ever track your car with that setup, any problems with it on the track?
Thank you for the kind words! These are the CE28RT's, which are less concave the the N's. I am currently on a 17x10.0 +45 setup.

I'm running -2.7 all around with max caster and OEM toe. I currently am not experiencing any rubbing issues, but when I was lower I did experience a lot of rubbing. Pulling and flaring the fenders were not necessary to fit these.

I have not tracked on this setup yet, but I did track on a 17x9.0 +45 setup when the car was about an inch lower and I didn't experience any rubbing issues.
The following users liked this post:
RicerRabbit (02-05-2019)

Quick Reply: @chingwingding's [Auto]biography - Daily-Driven SSM AP1 S2000