Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

0bsolete's back to basics build thread; less is more.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 0bsolete's back to basics build thread; less is more.

I'm at that point where I've now realized the value of the S2000. Not from a financial standpoint, but from a car enthusiasts view. With all of the new rules and regulations in car manufacturing, there won't ever be a car like the S2000. Even yesterday, I learned that Washington is looking to remove emissions testing in 2019. Due to the increasing number of newer and cleaner cars on the road, we're just a fraction of the population. I've driven countless S2000s and owned an extensively modified one for years now, but nothing compares to that stock feeling. It really makes you appreciate Honda's engineering team when you get back into a stock car. To make a car that feels and drives this way, while keeping the costs relatively affordable really shows you what Honda is capable of. I think it's a shame they don't have any entry level sports cars in their current lineup.

Well, I’ve been an S2000 owner for 7 years now and it’s safe to say I’ll own one for much longer than that. Everything else that I consider an “upgrade” from the S2000 is at least two times more expensive, but you don’t get double the car (any Lotus or Cayman), which makes it even more difficult to move away from this chassis.

My first S2000 in 2013:

My second S2000 in 2017:

Life started to get busy in 2016, and that’s when I stopped modifying my S2000. I always wanted to have a supercharged S2000 and I’m happy to have achieved that even though it was short lived. I wasn’t expecting to sell the car anytime soon, but I always keep an eye out for one. Back in August 2017, my buddy was in the market for a GPW S2000. I helped him search for one and finally one came up, so I went to go look at it with him. It was exactly what he was looking for. Fairly stock. Wheels, suspension, exhaust system. That’s it. Best of all it even came with an OEM hardtop. It was a 2006 with 31k miles on the clock. We went to go look at it and closed the deal within an hour. We got home and I told him “if you ever want to sell the car, let me know right away”.

Fast forward to March of this year, he messages me and says that he’s looking to sell the S2000 for what he got it for because all the car did was sit in his garage and he could use the money. I was startled that he wanted to sell it so soon, but I jumped on the opportunity right away. It came back home with me and I soon had it on jack stands to inspect every bit of the car. It was exactly what I imagined and more. With the mileage being so low, the car was pristine. Every bolt, nut, and screw was untouched. Fender liners clean. I could even count how many rock chips there are on one hand.

Here’s what the car looked like when I bought it in March.

He didn’t do a single thing to it but drive it. I received the car at a little over 33k miles and I don’t know if it’ll be seeing much more of that this first year of ownership. I’ve become more of motorcycle person these past couple years but this S2000 has refreshed my passion for cars again. The goal for this car is to leave the car as stock as possible, improving areas where I think Honda could have done better even though there’s not much else to improve.

Aftermarket parts the car came with:

TSW Nurburgring 17x9 +63 17x7.5 +45 245/40 215/45
Buddyclub N+ coilovers
K&N FIPK
Greddy SE Exhaust
Berk HFC
J’s Racing SPL header

The previous owner before my buddy put the TSWs on. The fronts stuck out more in the front, so he decided to put spacers in the rear to match. Therefore he rolled the rear fenders to eliminate rubbing, which really is my only gripe about the car. But I won’t complain too much since whoever did it, did a good job. I was quick to swap out the Buddyclub N+ suspension for KWv3. I don’t see myself getting anything other than KWs for any future performance car I own. They’ve felt great over the years I’ve had them and when I needed to replace one under the factory warranty, they were quick to follow up. As for the exhaust, I’ve never liked any aftermarket exhausts systems. I’ve owned 3-4 and always went back to stock or the UK mod. But the Greddy SE seems like one I could live with so far, mark my words now. I’ll be ditching the J’s Racing header as soon as I find a stock one in the condition I want.

More to come..

Last edited by 0bsolete; 03-21-2020 at 05:31 PM.

First up, Mugen MF10s! I've been eyeballing these for months from someone I've been following on Instagram, months before I knew I was going to buy the car. I figured now that I have a car to put them on, it was time to bite the bullet. They were spray painted black directly over the bronze anodizing, but I was okay with that because I didn't want bronze MF10s. All I cared about was that they didn't have and curbs, bends, cracks, or anything that would hinder the refinishing process.

Here they are:

Last edited by 0bsolete; 05-17-2018 at 11:47 AM.

Tires.

I always wanted to know what R-Comps felt like, so I decided to bite the bullet on Hankook TD Z221 C7. 255/40 215/45. I won't be doing anymore road racing, but I could see myself doing autocross here and there.

Dog approved.

Last edited by 0bsolete; 05-17-2018 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

#build
Old 05-16-2018, 10:21 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

So you did get a second one. Car looks clean.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:35 AM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Nice! Are you bringing this beaut to Baker?
Old 05-16-2018, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
So you did get a second one. Car looks clean.
Thanks! More to come.

Originally Posted by alSpeed2k
Nice! Are you bringing this beaut to Baker?
I'm shooting for it. I missed last year and I don't want to miss another :/
Old 05-17-2018, 11:56 AM

MF10s last week, completely sandblasted.

Old 05-17-2018, 01:24 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

The black over the bronze hurt my soul a little. What color are you going with on them? Oh and my OEM header is hanging on the wall in my garage. Let me know if you want it.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
The black over the bronze hurt my soul a little. What color are you going with on them? Oh and my OEM header is hanging on the wall in my garage. Let me know if you want it.
​​​​​​
It's probably sacrilege getting MF10s refinished, they'll have to be perfect. They will be done in silver. Thanks, I might have to take you up on that offer but I will not take it for free!

Quick Reply: 0bsolete's back to basics build thread; less is more.