Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

daevilone's BB AP1

Old 03-12-2013, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys.

The lip is a Seibon OEM style carbon lip.

Latest part order is a PLX gauge with sensors for oil and water temp =) Things I need to order very soon are stuff to make brake ducts out of and more brake pads.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:09 PM

Haven't updated this in a while!

entered a motorkhana - didn't do very well. Car was great - drive was not.
Another skidpan day - so much fun! Coilovers make a big difference . The instructor also got me to practice normal track driving style whilst on the skidpan which was a good experience. Keeping control of understeer is hard on a skidpan.

I entered the Honda Nationals down at Winton Raceway so, since I cooked my brakes at Marulan I had to do something about it before hitting up Winton so:
  • new front slotted rotors
  • SS brake lines
  • Carbotech XP12/10 pads
  • brake ducts
  • RBF660 fluid

unfortunately I won't get it all in before the weekend - the guys I bought the SS brake lines from haven't had the front arrive yet. Hence I won't have them or the RBF660 for the weekend. RBF660 was a nice discovery. From Autobarn is costs ~$50 for a bottle of RBF600. A bottle of 660 costs ~$20 in the US...

brake ducts and new rotors are in. Pads are waiting to get to the track to bed them in =)

brake ducts!

only issue is that they rub on the stock wheels. Don't rub on my significantly wider track rims and they are what I measured it for. Go figure. Turns out it rubs because 16" vs 17" wheel.

In addition to brake ducts I've got the PLX multigauge with oil and water tempeature measurement.

brake ducts:

I then made the treck down from ACT to Winton for the Honda Nats. My plan was to have a drive in the test and tune running on the Friday to learn the track and then hit up the Nats on Saturday to set some times.

Unfortunately due to not great wheel alignment, lots of load in the boot and being lowered I chewed straight through my semi slicks on the drive down. Fortunately, my Dad was awesome enough to drive me down some extra wheels otherwise I couldn't have gotten home, let alone competed in the Nats.

So Saturday came and I was on oem 16" wheels with rather used street tyres and boy was it slippery. Track pads worked a treat though, so much bite and not even the slightest hint of fade though no semi's would have made that better. Alignment was even more out with street tyres as there was way too much camber for them to use - I was planning to take of about 0.5 deg as the semi's were heating up bit too unevenly.

Despite that I was really happy with my time of 1:44.59. Ended up being second in class and since first in class took out fastest newcomer I won the class award =D yet to find out exactly what it is though.

here is a video of the best lap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOImWJABRAk
Old 05-06-2013, 04:21 PM

Got a decent amount done this weekend in between other jobs.
First up, Hardrace rear anti bump steer kit that I bought the day after HNationals in the hope I wouldn't destroy tyres again.

mmm shiny and blue

Installation was very simple - Only issue is that afterwards I had a stupid amount of toe -in. Threw some string up and measured ~3 degrees each side LOL. Managed to get it about even bordering on a little toe in which will do for a few days until I book an alignment. Even with that, the difference is amazing. The rear end is far more planted and controlled over bumps. I didn't try any corners at pace because I noticed the rear end is very happy at the moment - obviously due to the (miss)alignment.

At the same time is some Stoptech SS brake lines. Installation was easy - bleeding was a bugger. took several goes to get rid of all the air and the pedal still felt like shit with the engine running. Given that it was rock solid though with the engine off I managed to get all the air out. I remember feeling exactly the same bad quality after tacking out my track pads last time - it got better then so I'm hoping it will this time too.

In other news, by the end of the week I will not be on stock wheels for daily duties anymore =) Bought another set of 6ULR's, this time in Nickle that should arrive Monday/Tuesday and have some tyres set aside for me in Sydney that my parents will pick up when they are up there over the next couple days. Tyres of choice this time are Nitto NT555 (cheap and reviewed well, I'm willing to give them a shot) in 255/40R17 at all 4 corners. Also getting a pair of 255/40 R888's to replace the semi's I killed on the way to Winton.
Given that, I might go try taking some real photos of my car finally next weekend.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:29 PM

Hurray

No valve stems though so ordered some. Given that I've got to take track tyres off anyway I might steal the ones from my other set.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:07 PM

Lookin good man!
Old 06-04-2013, 01:41 PM

How much does ohlins cost I bet they handle great
Old 06-05-2013, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Coolbeans
Lookin good man!
thanks!

Originally Posted by S2KBert
How much does ohlins cost I bet they handle great
some... I think around $3k new? I got mine second hand. I can't compare to other S2000 coils though.

In the last month...

Wheel alignment with the following specs:
Camber: -2.24(f) / -2.8(r)
Caster: 5.8
Toe: 0(f) / 1/8th

Valve stems arrived for new 6ULR's...

17x9 + 63 with 255/40 NT555 for the front.
17x10 + 72 with 255/40 Nt555 for the rear.

So far I'm really happy, drives nicely. Rubs my brake ducting at full lock though. Oh well.

some half assed photos...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daevilone/8744208156/http://www.flickr.com/photos/daevilone/8744208156/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/daevilone/, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daevilone/8738322862/http://www.flickr.com/photos/daevilone/8738322862/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/daevilone/, on Flickr

Then I headed out to Wakefield Park - closest track to me

Good day, very successful. I got around 60 laps in, 50 of which I timed.

I haven't been to Wakefield for a very long time and the fastest lap I had done around there was about 1:16 in a mates mx5... so this was obviously going to be different.

First session the track was cold, and damp on all the important corners. Didn't bother to time but spent that session relearing the track.

Second session I got in 6 laps before overcooking it on entry into turn 2 and having to get towed out of the gravel. bugger. No harm done though. Still, managed a 1:13.35 - the fastest I had ever gone around but I was hoping for a lot more.

Third session. Starting to get coilover settings and tyre pressures right now. Cut a second off for a 1:12.27

Fourth session, shaved almost another second off to get down to a 1:11.44
From here, I was looking at my optimal times, which at this point was 1:11.09. So I thought right, need to hit 1:10 then.

Fifth Session: 1:10.91. into the 1:10's, but my optimal time had dropped to 1:10.14... at this point I was relatively happy, but figured I could get into the 1:09's...

Sixth and final session. Almost. I was overdriving a bit this session and had several offs and spins, I couldn't quite get it all together for one lap - except one. 1:10.22

I'm pretty happy with that lap, but I know the car has around a low 1:09 in it. Optimal times after the last session were down to 1:09.79, and most of the difference was in the last corner and pulling down the main straight.

Video!
First up - fastest lap. 1:10.22. Room for improvement for sure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eKatYPQx1o Fifth session - not where I did the fastest lap but the most consistent
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eVJHuQg2MQ
last night I changed the oil for some Redline 10w30. Sounds smoother already!.

Back out to Wakefield on Monday - come on 1:09's.

In other news, I won $300 worth of HardRace suspension products from my efforts at the HNationals. Not entirely sure what I want to get... that money in Aus will get me front roll center adjusters or driveshaft spacers and front anti bump steer kit...Or I could be smart and replace my diff mounts as one is cracked.