Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

proteK-'s build diary.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:19 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool proteK-'s build diary.

Hello everyone, this is my build diary. Come follow my road to Forced Induction, or maybe not, who knows! Will update mod list as mods are added.

Current Mods:

Engine: ARP Headstuds, Clutchmasters Custom sprung FX500 clutch, Spoon motor and transmission mounts
Suspension: Koni Yellows, Skunk2 springs
Interior: AP1 blue carpet
Exterior: ASM Rear overfenders, JDM clear side markers
Wheels: 17x9 Enkei RPF1's

I bought this car about 3 weeks ago with 150k miles on it, the motor was bad, but we didn't know about the extent of the damage....

We took the motor out on 8/24/2018, of course the logical thing to do in this case was buy an engine stand and paint it spoon colors:

Motor being lifted out:

And on the stand...

Some damage:

Top rings were broken on every piston, this motor had been boosted in the past, and there was not enough ring gap. Cylinders 3 and 4 had a piece of the ring break through the ring land and scarred the cylinders and head.

Picked up a fresh, OEM rebuilt motor from Charper732 on here.. will be putting it in in the next few days, stay tuned.

Last edited by xproteK; 09-26-2018 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Any idea the boost level this motor endured? Also, was it running a turbo or supercharger? How long?

Just curious to see what a stock f20 f22is capable of handling.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by primetimeswole
Any idea the boost level this motor endured? Also, was it running a turbo or supercharger? How long?

Just curious to see what a stock f20 f22is capable of handling.
The guy before me was running a turbo, from my research on his S2KI account, it looks like it was on there for about 4000 miles before it started having issues, I'm not sure much boost it was putting out exactly, but it dyno'd around 410 WHP.. I've heard of stock motors running higher than that though, which leads me to believe this motor may have issues from the original owner.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:41 PM

UPDATES 9/26/2018.

The motor install is finally finished, unfortunately it took a little longer than I was planning due to the wait on some parts that were ordered. We installed a one off sprung Clutchmasters FX500 clutch, and Spoon motor and transmission mounts. I'm not 100% sure how I feel about the clutch yet, the engagement point on it is insanely difficult to get the hang off, I'm almost considering going back to a new OEM. There also seems to a be a few issues that need to get figure out, more on those after a few pictures.

Spoon VS Stock

Despite my research on here, we were able to get the motor and transmission in, fully assembled from the top.

Dicksburgh got it in.

After the install, we did about a 25 mile shakedown run (didn't get above 6K RPM for break in) everything seems to be running well. There was a loud exhaust leak noise coming from the empty EGR valve, so we closed that up with quicksteel (who needs a $25 piece of metal)

There is a small oil leak coming from the hex bolt on the head and it seems to be going in limp mode for some reason. If anyone has any ideas what could be causing that, let me know.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:03 PM

Not a huge update, but decided it was time for some new tires and went with 225/45/17 in the front and 255/40/17 in the rear. It didn't really turn out as wide as I wanted it to be, but I guess it still looks alright. Still needs to be aligned.

A few quality of life mods coming this week, full JS2K LED conversion for the interior, trunk, license plate and side markers. Ordered some ARP wheel studs for all 4 corners, new Muteki "spoon blue" lugs for the wheels and picked up some Powerstop Track Day pads.
The following users liked this post:
JS2k.com (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 02:26 PM
Sponsor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Great build! Sucks about the previous motor though.

AP1 and AP2 Clear Headlight Diffusers!!! - Clear out your S2000 headlights!
LED Conversions for all S2000 lights
Keyhole Covers - Get the Shaved look
Oil Drain Valve - Easiest Oil Change ever!
_________
For LEDs for your other cars, head to our new website: SupernovaLEDs.com. Same great quality, easy-to-use website. Pick your car, we'll show you what fits.
The following users liked this post:
xproteK (10-11-2018)
Old 02-09-2019, 02:51 PM

First update of 2019!

I've had a few parts laying around to install when the weather got a little warmer, it was in the 70's the other day here in Alabama so I went out and got to work.

I purchased the "Stage 1" brake upgrade kit from Kamispeed earlier this year which includes StopTech Sport slotted rotors and StopTech sport pads. My old pads didn't look like they had been changed in the entire history of the car from the previous owners, and the ABS light was actually kicking on under low speed braking. Not only is the car safer and stops quicker, they also look pretty cool.

Also replaced the old rusted legs with some fresh new blue Muteki's.

proteK-'s build diary.-whkfobt.jpg

Really had no idea there were spaces on, but they look rough so those are going to get replaced soon.

proteK-'s build diary.-34sf5lu.jpg

Installed the OEM NSX-R badges on the front and rear, excuse the dirt on the car, I wasn't able to wash it until the next day lol.

proteK-'s build diary.-eyhmbs5.jpg

And a bonus shot of top down weather this past week:

proteK-'s build diary.-nvznppy.jpg

After months of this car being a pain and not really getting any fun out of it, I feel like it's slowly starting to come together.

New suspension coming later this week!