Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

daily driven Track car Build--Ap1

Old 12-11-2016, 10:45 AM

Received 119 Likes on 95 Posts

Seat time is definitely where it is at.

It's not all that big of a turbo at 56 lbs/min, however, the nice thing about the EFR turbos is that they come on pretty smoothly. I can also work on WGDC to make it as linear as possible when working from part throttle into WOT. I went with a turbo as it's more efficient power, easier to change power levels, no belt slip, and not premature wear of the front main bearing from tightening the belt to avoid belt slip... Been there, done that. It'll probably be around 400-450 whp. I'll just have to see what it likes and match up my power for whatever class I want to run in next year.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:13 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by yamahaSHO
Seat time is definitely where it is at.

It's not all that big of a turbo at 56 lbs/min, however, the nice thing about the EFR turbos is that they come on pretty smoothly. I can also work on WGDC to make it as linear as possible when working from part throttle into WOT. I went with a turbo as it's more efficient power, easier to change power levels, no belt slip, and not premature wear of the front main bearing from tightening the belt to avoid belt slip... Been there, done that. It'll probably be around 400-450 whp. I'll just have to see what it likes and match up my power for whatever class I want to run in next year.

the mazda is a turbo car and i saw the shortcoming of turbo at track. get ready to start fighting heat soak like crazy. coolant temps are going to be your biggest problem witht eh fmic blocking air flow to the rad and the rtubo getting red hot under prolonged boost on straights. Thats part of reason i got the s2k because that wasnt an issue at all, invest in a vented hood to let hot air evacuate from the rad to increase cooling efficiency. Thats one of the reasons i would lean more towards an SC for this car with one of those water to air coolers only with a thinner core blocking the rad. though the 450 Hp will be exciting im sure. the car will be terrifyingly quick on the straights
Old 12-11-2016, 11:30 AM

Turbo setups are not all created equal. Additionally, I am planning out the cooling setup to keep up with the heat with a V-mount and hood venting. There will be heat coatings and wrappings on the hot exhaust parts. I initially bought this car to track without worry in NA form. After 4 seasons, I crave power.

I've built, tuned, and tracked turbo and supercharged cars for something like 15 years. My supercharged car overheated quickly and I eventually lost a bearing on track. My setup won't stray too far from Robert Thorne's in functionality, but without the rocket, and he's able to track his with 650+ whp here at altitude where the air does not cool as well.

This is turning into a dedicated track car that's still street legal. I don't like driving it on the street because the roads kill my back (particularly Omaha roads) and I tend to drive like an ass on the street in my track car.
The following users liked this post:
R00567 (01-20-2017)
Old 12-11-2016, 11:45 AM

Turbo setups are not all created equal. Additionally, I am planning out the cooling setup to keep up with the heat with a V-mount and hood venting. There will be heat coatings and wrappings on the hot exhaust parts. I initially bought this car to track without worry in NA form. After 4 seasons, I crave power.

I've built, tuned, and tracked turbo and supercharged cars for something like 15 years. My supercharged car overheated quickly and I eventually lost a bearing on track. My setup won't stray too far from Robert Thorne's in functionality, but without the rocket, and he's able to track his with 650+ whp here at altitude where the air does not cool as well.

This is turning into a dedicated track car that's still street legal. I don't like driving it on the street because the roads kill my back (particularly Omaha roads) and I tend to drive like an ass on the street in my track car.

Yeah a V mount with hood vent is the ultimate solution. very expensive indeed. are you fabricating your own or buying a premade kit for that setup?
Old 12-11-2016, 11:46 AM

SoS is making me a kit now. I'll have 3R take care of the hood as I'm not a body guy.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:39 PM

SoS is making me a kit now. I'll have 3R take care of the hood as I'm not a body guy.
You are dropping some serious cheese on that build. Sos stuff is not cheap but im sure it will be worth it. You know any local guys in omaha that track their s2000?

Ive only met one other s2000 owner who was from kansas
Old 12-11-2016, 01:29 PM

Doing it right generally cost a good chunk, but is still cheaper than a blown motor.

I do know a few S2000 people in Omaha that track their cars. I'm just taking a guess and thinking you met Pat from Kansas?
Old 12-11-2016, 01:51 PM

Doing it right generally cost a good chunk, but is still cheaper than a blown motor.

I do know a few S2000 people in Omaha that track their cars. I'm just taking a guess and thinking you met Pat from Kansas?
no not pat, a gentleman named Julian. Older guy with a yellow Ap2. Good guy, we had a great time at the track chasing each other. And i will brag i could keep up despite his sticky tires and kw v3. I guess having a bit more track experience does pay off!
Old 12-11-2016, 08:22 PM

Hmmm... I may or may not know him. I would run into a lot of good S2000 people out there. It's always fun to chase down things you shouldn't be able to. That's what I had the most fun doing there.
Old 12-12-2016, 12:09 PM

Hmmm... I may or may not know him. I would run into a lot of good S2000 people out there. It's always fun to chase down things you shouldn't be able to. That's what I had the most fun doing there.
I will say though the s2000 is even more fun to drive on crappy all season because it moves around alot and lets you experience what the car is about at much safer speeds. I got into Julian's car and that thing had grip for days,it definitely felt like there was still alot more room to push hard for lap time. what oil do you run on the track?

Quick Reply: daily driven Track car Build--Ap1