Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

daily driven Track car Build--Ap1

Old 12-12-2016, 12:51 PM

Received 119 Likes on 95 Posts

I always have a hard time going back to street tires because I start going into turns too hot only to find the car wanting to slide.

I've been using Motul 300v 5w40. I have the oil sampled a few times and I'm up to 7+ track days before doing an oil change.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by yamahaSHO
I always have a hard time going back to street tires because I start going into turns too hot only to find the car wanting to slide.

I've been using Motul 300v 5w40. I have the oil sampled a few times and I'm up to 7+ track days before doing an oil change.
thats some expensive stuff, im just running a 5w40 chevron delo synthetic currently. Im not sure if it would be better to go for 10w30 that is recommended oil for this car. only reason i run the 5w40 is because its whats recommended for sub zero temperatures. Ive used Motul breakfluid in the past and it boiled over. Now my fluid of choice is castrol srf. Im likely going to redo my trans fluid when it warms up because its difficult to shift when its cold. I never had that issue with the old factory fluid that was in there so i might be going for that again
Old 12-12-2016, 02:34 PM

Received 119 Likes on 95 Posts

For track usage, I'd stick with the 40 weight. Oil temps run high on these cars and higher temperatures will naturally thin the oil. With an oil cooler that could get a little better airflow, I was seeing temps in the 250's on a hot day. Higher oil temps is where a real synthetic shines in holding up and not breaking down. The Motul is pricey, but you can get a lot of usage out of it. That said, you could get a 5w30 if you really want to run a 30 weight. If you really want to see how your oil is doing for you, have it sampled.

I've got Motul brake fluid in my car, however, I have large brakes and brake cooling. Never boiled fluid with the Wilwood kit and ATE blue fluid, but cooling was also in place. Hell, I pretty much bread brakes once a year now.

Any good track trans fluid will need some coercion when cold. My second gear has never liked not having hit fluid.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by yamahaSHO
For track usage, I'd stick with the 40 weight. Oil temps run high on these cars and higher temperatures will naturally thin the oil. With an oil cooler that could get a little better airflow, I was seeing temps in the 250's on a hot day. Higher oil temps is where a real synthetic shines in holding up and not breaking down. The Motul is pricey, but you can get a lot of usage out of it. That said, you could get a 5w30 if you really want to run a 30 weight. If you really want to see how your oil is doing for you, have it sampled.

I've got Motul brake fluid in my car, however, I have large brakes and brake cooling. Never boiled fluid with the Wilwood kit and ATE blue fluid, but cooling was also in place. Hell, I pretty much bread brakes once a year now.

Any good track trans fluid will need some coercion when cold. My second gear has never liked not having hit fluid.
yeah i will keep the 40 weight then, i will get a cooler before next summer really kicks in so i can cope with he heat. yeah i boiled the rbf on the mazda which is a much heavier car too so no suprise there. the s2 is much lighter and not as hard on breaks. it also didnt help that i wasnt doing cool down laps before stopping to take tire temp data. I wont be doing bbk just yet. im just going to get some new pads and rotors for now. the old ones on there are so warped from last track day you feel the peddle dancing underneath your foot every time you slow down. and they are old and rusty from previous owner. He had never blead break fluid ever. its pitch black when you open the reservouirs
Old 01-11-2017, 08:50 AM

So against all advice, I went ahead and ordered from Rallysportdirect.com and i couldnt have been happier with my purchase. Over th christmas break I was randomly looking at different websites to buy ohlins coilovers. To my surprise Rallysport had them on sell for alot cheaper than all other places so i went ahead and ordered myself a set. I got my box delivered today. Cant wait for warm weather to get these on.

Few more parts to come in for the suspension to be complete. Brakes are next on the list
The following users liked this post:
yamahaSHO (01-11-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 09:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome! Was thinking about buying Ohlins for my S as well.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by sunflowers2k
Awesome! Was thinking about buying Ohlins for my S as well.
I havent driven on them yet but the quality of the product i recieved and the packaging says i am likely in for a very high quality product :-P
Old 01-11-2017, 11:35 AM

Spc camber ball joints came in. I will only be putting these in the front. From my research i understand the s2 is capable of alot of camber in the rear without needing camber ball joints
Old 01-12-2017, 07:13 AM

Finally got the coilovers reassembled

Ive been fortunate to own and assemble a few coilover systems but i can say this is by far the highest quality system i have seen so far. The packaging is superb, the fit and finish is excellent and best of all the instructions are extremely clear with explanations and diagrams. The show you how to set the preload as well as ride height with accurate measurements. Further review will come when i get them on
Old 01-12-2017, 06:16 PM

And these came in today. Think i will get it all in pretty soon

Quick Reply: daily driven Track car Build--Ap1