Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Kutwazluz's '02 AP1

Old 06-24-2015, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kutwazluz's '02 AP1

Buonasera everyone!

So, after about six months of owning my very first Honda S2000, I thought I might as well start a Topic in this Subforum, as I have some plans of refreshing her a little bit. (Also I polished her this weekend and wanted to show off the work )
I already did some explaination on my introduction, but I will probably repeat some things again. (Link to the Introduction)

So at the moment she is pretty clean. The previous owner installed a rare Carbon Cold Air Intake, but since getting Filters was pretty difficult (and too expensive for me to justify) I just replaced it with an OEM one. Done that I took her to the next Official Honda Garage to have all the fluids replaced, did a compression test and also got the valves adjusted. You guys have built an amazingly big library of knowdlegde of what to do and - most of the time - how to do it. But I just didn't quite feel confident enough yet to do all the replacements and adjustments myself.

So here are some pictures of her, as this is why everyone is here!

I tried cleaning the Engine Bay as well, but I think it could turn out better if I do it another time.
Also because of a recent post I saw on this forum (It looked worse first, but I took out most crap the first time I saw it and put it back until my new one came in the mail);

The next things that I'm waiting for are an "Ingall's Torque Damper", the CR Radio Cover and some Mobil 1 motor oil, as she burns a little bit of oil...

Also if any italian reads this: Where do you order your rims? I have a hard time finding some fitting RPF1's or CE28 that I'm allowed to put on her. Italian laws regarding car modification really suck, I tell you that.

I will keep you guys updated!
Old 06-25-2015, 01:41 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Old 06-25-2015, 07:20 AM

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts

Nice scenery!
Old 06-25-2015, 10:42 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I heard you can't deviate from the OEM tire sizes when you live in Italy. Is that true?
Does that mean you can't go bigger then 16" or is it possible to run facelift specs?
Old 06-25-2015, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Resan
I heard you can't deviate from the OEM tire sizes when you live in Italy. Is that true?
Does that mean you can't go bigger then 16" or is it possible to run facelift specs?
Well you can only mount the sizes that are declared in your "Libretto di circolazione", which would be some kind of vehicle registration. Unfortunately the only size you find there are the 16" OEM AP1 wheels. You could ask Honda to put a different tire size in there, but I've asked other people and they said they won't do it, so I didn't bother asking (it just takes ages until you get an answer).

BUT it seems like you can now put bigger tires on, if you buy some kind of verified wheels. I still have to ask someone how this works if I import some wheels, as I would like to have some RPF1's or CE28's. We'll have to see
Old 07-22-2020, 06:27 AM

It's been quite a while since the last update

After almost 5 years the car has undergone quite a bit of transformation.
In the first few months I got a new Radio Unit from Sony, which serves me very well up until today. The only thing is, I didn't figure out (yet) how to set it up to display the Clock, instead of the currently playing song. Which would come in hand, since I don't have the clock in my Gauge Cluster. But it's been ok for the past years and it will be good enough for all the coming years.
A few months after this thread I got a Hard Top as well. I still wasn't able to figure out though, whether it's a Silverstone Grey or Sebring Silver one. This will probably stay a mystery forever;

And since this color mismatch kept bothering me so much, I eventually looked for someone to wrap it in a glossy black vinyl. The result is fantastic and it's exactly how I wanted it to look.

As you can see, driving my Honda as a daily wasn't quite good enough, so I got a Fiat Seicento beater car for all day driving. Since then my S2000 has been a weekend car mostly. Some weeks I drive her more, some I drive her less. But each time I get in that driver seat it just puts a smile on my face

About two years later I finally came around to paint my Tamon spoiler lip replica and my CR-Style front bumper replica in the cars color and had it mounted. It still has this look and I am very happy with the outcome. Back then I still had the rather slim 16 inch OEM wheels, which really did look off on this combination, but a few pictures down you'll see, that it really fits together nicely.

I have come to really love the combination of the JDM/EUDM Headlights and the AP2 bumper, hope you guys appreciate it too!
Another year later I finally got around to some track time. Just a few tourist laps on the Autodromo di Modena, but still had a great time! I was there for the yearly JCM Event, where most of North-Italy meets up and shows off their JDM Cars!
I didn't make anyone proud though. My times are slow and I got lapped quite a bit, so I guess my years and years of playing Need for Speed didn't help all too much.

After a couple of more months I then finally got around to get some new Wheels and Tires. They're still on the car right now, but I'll probably have to change the Tires soon I suppose.

If I recall correctly they're CR spec Tire sizes, but I'll be checking later if you guys are interested!
I am really happy with how she sits now. She could be a little bit lower, but I'm afraid I won't be able to get around without scratching everywhere, so the height will have to stay the way it is now.
Old 07-22-2020, 06:38 AM

Now for some more recent shots
This summer I had the Valve Cover resprayed in the original colors, this is because the old paint was slowly coming off. I think it came out amazing:

And as a bonus I shall give you another shot of the S2000 in it's current form:

Old 07-22-2020, 11:50 AM

Received 343 Likes on 320 Posts

Have you thought about removing front number plate holder and screwing plate directly to bumper.
If not please do,it looks so much better
Old 07-22-2020, 12:35 PM

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts

Yea a plate holder the same size as the actual plate would look proper.

The valve cover came out brilliant!
Old 03-08-2021, 05:41 AM

So it's been a few months again since I posted an update. There hasn't been much to report as well.
I finally got around to redoing a shifter-regrease in August. I did this already once when I got the car, but back then I didn't swap out the plastics on the shifter. This time i cleaned everything up good and replaced the plastics. The feeling has been a lot better I have to say.

Before disassembly

Cleaning up the tunnel

All greased up

Closeup shot of the grease. What a mess...

Everything back to normal

Once I had to get something from my garage, which is actually a rented garage, away from where I live, and I couldn't help but take a picture while I was waiting on a red light:

I always have to look when there is an opportunity to see the S2000 from the side

After the regrease I had to get the Clutch replaced. I was running an RPC Clutch kit, which I cannot recommend. It just makes too much Clutch Buzz and is no fun at all if you plan on driving around in cities. That not being enough the clutch failed after a little bit over 24k km. This is just bad.
Now I'm running the revisioned OEM Honda Clutch and the sound has become bearable. The driving has improved a lot. I should've done this a lot sooner in hindsight.

At the end of the Summer Season I was able to snap this amazing foto of my S2000. I think it really looks good:

And since there's been lots of restrictions in Italy since November last year, I didn't really get to drive the S2000. I also noticed the Brake Pads were worn out, so I had to organize myself for a replacement. This is something I have never done on my own and I was happy to find out, that it wasn't too difficult.
On Christmas I "only" got a gingerbread S2000, though it was really good!

I've only been able to change my brake pads on Saturday, but it's been quite a satisfying work!

I actually found out the previous owner had installed braided brake lines.

Here's another shot of the brake lines.

Driver side installed.

Passenger side installed. Ignore the battery, I had to use something to place the caliper while I was preparing the pads.

I applied some brake pad grease to avoid unwanted noise while braking.

So that's it for the last few months.
In the coming weeks I will be doing some more work. I would like to replace the speaker system, since the driver side woofer has started crackling. I will be installing some Focal ISU 165, that I've already ordered.
I'll also try to fix the Hardtop-Latch rattling, as well as applying some black silicone to the windshield plastic that has started warping.

Quick Reply: Kutwazluz's '02 AP1