Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

1 Owner, 15k Miles, Spa Yellow - Build Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1 Owner, 15k Miles, Spa Yellow - Build Thread

WELCOME ALL!!!

First I'd like to say thank you for taking the time to view my build thread. I will try to update this often as possible!

-- THE STORY BEGINS --

I wasn't looking for an S2000, and to be quite honest I didn't even have any interest in owning one. However I always do a weekly search online for low mileage Honda's to see what's out there. A couple months back during one of my searches I came across a spa yellow ap1, with 15k miles sitting at a Honda dealership in Ohio. It looked really clean in the pictures and the price was great so I decided to look into it. I called and spoke with the sales manager, he assured me the car was clean as it looked in the pictures, and that I would be very happy with the vehicle. I asked for them to send me detailed pictures, and some videos of the vehicle before we went any further. While they were gathering this information I pulled the carfax to find out more information on the car. The carfax showed that this dealer sold the car originally, serviced the vehicle, and had purchased the vehicle back from the original owner. You couldn't ask for a better carfax report! I did some research on the dealership and decided to take the risk and just buy the vehicle sight on-seen, and have it shipped to me. This was a bit nerve racking and very out of character for me (I have the worst luck, and I'm very paranoid), but luckily it all worked out. The vehicle arrived a couple weeks later and was in even better condition than I could imagine. There wasn't even a rock chip on the front bumper!

-- THE PLAN --

Before the vehicle arrived I already had parts ordered, and some had even showed up prior to the cars arrival. Once the car arrived I was really torn with what to do. It was such a clean car, and it really made me question modifying it. I decided the path forward would be mods that I can easily remove from the vehicle (for now). All parts being utilized on the vehicle are new (unless otherwise noted).

Parts on Hand:
Mugen Exhaust (installed)
Fortune Auto Coilovers w/ Swift Springs (installed)
Bumper Plugs (installed)
OEM CR Shift Knob (installed)
Mugen Ignition Cover (installed)
Mugen Carbon Shift Knob (installed)
Mugen Radiator Cap (installed)
Invidia Test Pipe 60mm (installed)
1320 CEL Eliminator (installed)
Mugen SS Rear Spoiler (installed)
Mugen MF10 Bronze 17 x 7.5 +52 / 17 x 8.5 +59 (installed)
Toyo R888R 225/45/17 255/40/17 (installed)
OEM Front Under Spoiler (installed)
Mugen Brake Lines (installed)
Mugen Hardtop (installed)

Parts on Order:

Wishlist:
Mugen MS-R Seats
Mugen Hood
Mugen Intake
AEM EMS

-- FIRST CHANGES --

During my initial inspection of the vehicle I could only find a few items that needed to be replaced.
1. Rear View Mirror (notorious black fade creeping in from all edges)
2. Radiator Stays
3. Radiator Stay Bolts

All of these items have been replaced with brand new oem parts. Here's a few pictures showing those changes (minus the rear view mirror).

Last edited by mkluge84; 09-18-2018 at 08:37 PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:51 PM

-- PAINT CORRECTION --

My biggest issue with the car was the condition of the paint. It didn't have sun fade or anything, but it did have a ton of swirl marks. This is a common issue with vehicles, and one I knew could be handled. I sent the car to a friend upstate who does amazing work. The car got a full detail, paint correction, ceramic coating (wheels, paint), and a leather coating. Gtechniq products were utilized on the paint, and the wheels, Modesta products were utilized on the leather seats. The results were amazing!!!!!! I haven't taken any after pictures (waiting on the coilovers to be installed so I can mount the wheels), but I will include a few pictures taken by my friend who did the work.

Emblems were carefully removed and replaced with new ones (I held off on reinstalling the s2000 side emblems, not sure if I want to utilize them).

Last edited by mkluge84; 12-19-2017 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:51 PM

-- EXHAUST INSTALL --

Anyone that already knows me is well aware that I have an unhealthy obsession with Mugen. First up on the install list was the Mugen Exhaust. I sourced this item brand new from Scott @ King Motor Sports (always a pleasure dealing with them!). It was very dark when the install was completed, but I snapped one picture before we lowered the vehicle. I will get better pictures in the future, and I'll def make some sound clip videos as well.

Last edited by mkluge84; 12-19-2017 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:02 PM

-- WHATS NEXT?? --

The coilover install will be up next! Hoping to have that done within the next few weeks (waiting on my mechanic). Very excited for this install, because I'll finally be able to mount the wheels!!!!!! I am also going to spend some time this week identifying a shop I can trust to paint match the trunk spoiler. I'd like to get this installed in the near future as well. Once those installs are complete I'm going to be waiting for my front lip to arrive in March (it's going to be a long couple months, but well worth the wait). In the mean time I should be closing a deal on a bnib set of Mugen MF10. King Motor Sports sold out of the s2000 spec before I could make a decision on the wheels. Luckily I was able to find someone who purchased a set and they decided not to use them! After that I'm not sure what the future holds. I really want a bnib oem painted hardtop but the chances of finding that are slim to none. If I can't find a clean oem hard top I'll be going the Mugen route. My goal for 2018 will def be getting a hard top onto the car! Other than that I plan on just enjoying the vehicle, going to some shows, and doing some track events.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:07 PM

-- PRE PAINT CORRECTION PICTURES --

Some pictures I snapped before having the paint correction done, and some misc shots of parts.

Last edited by mkluge84; 12-19-2017 at 09:12 PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:30 PM
Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

WOW!!! That would be my dream AP1, I picked mine up in similar condition in 2009 (MY00) with only 20,003 miles on it. Too bad its now a track car but I would love to own another one this pristine with low miles. Would you mind sharing how much you picked it up for? If not a ball park? Also please post pics of your wheels installed and fender clearances, I have a few of that spec ce28n in stock but have yet to sell any so we have no clue what they look like mounted on the car.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:02 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

What a clean example! I'd stick with the 'mods which can be easily removed' to be honest.
Not sure how prices are in the USA, but the last two years here in Europe prices have almost doubled for a low mileage S2000 and cars like these are a great investment (in Europe).

I'd definately mod it though Mugen parts you mentioned will make it look even better
Old 12-19-2017, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by RogueMotorsports
WOW!!! That would be my dream AP1, I picked mine up in similar condition in 2009 (MY00) with only 20,003 miles on it. Too bad its now a track car but I would love to own another one this pristine with low miles. Would you mind sharing how much you picked it up for? If not a ball park? Also please post pics of your wheels installed and fender clearances, I have a few of that spec ce28n in stock but have yet to sell any so we have no clue what they look like mounted on the car.
I paid under 20, but more than 15 . I will be doing a photo shoot with with the car soon as the wheels are on. I’ll be sure to take some clearance pictures for you as well.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Reversibly mod it please for the love of god.. good mods so far though, nice taste. With those wheels though, surprised you didn't try find some Mugen MF10s..
Mine was/is a track hack so not as worried about it mod wise but practically everything is still reversible, even with a full swap.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by S2KIWI
Reversibly mod it please for the love of god.. good mods so far though, nice taste. With those wheels though, surprised you didn't try find some Mugen MF10s..
Mine was/is a track hack so not as worried about it mod wise but practically everything is still reversible, even with a full swap.
You didn’t read everything. I had the chance to buy them new from king motor sports in beginning of October but waited too long and they sold out. However I just found a new set and I’m working on finishing the deal. Plus it never hurts to have a few sets of wheels.

Quick Reply: 1 Owner, 15k Miles, Spa Yellow - Build Thread