Some more updates. Firstly I thought I'd make a list of basic service items that for me are part of the used car ownership process, with some unique to the S2000. I have done the following;
Valve lash adjustment
RainH8R valve cover mod
Diff / Gearbox / and engine oil
New primary O2 sensor
New spark plugs
Motul RBF Brake fluid
Headlight height adjustment
Now onto the update. As mentioned before I wanted to fit a double DIN Alpine carplay unit in the factory location, so starting with the OEM opening-door part and doing a lot of cutting and rebuilding, and then covering in flock for a suede like feel I ended up with this;
Which looks like this installed in the car;
I probably need some steering wheel controls for real convenience or maybe the modifry adpator for the OEM radio controls.
Just a note that this particular Alpine unit is pretty shallow (no CD mech), but probably needed the removal of the airbag computer to fit well. I'd already taken the airbags out. I also opened up a slot into the tunnel a little to ensure my RCA leads etc were not underneath the unit at all, allowing the rear of it to sit on the tunnel for a slight upward cant.
While maybe odd while I'm talking about a stereo, weight saving is really important to me. I thought It might be worth me listing what I've done to save weight on this build. The replacement of the OEM stereo (and opening door trim) with the Alpine double DIN did actually save me weight, I've added weight back with my sub baffle and amp, however chose the entry level JL 12" as it was the lightest decent woofer I could find. Anyway I've removed or replaced the following to cut weight;
Spare wheel and jack and tools
All factory sound deadening and carpet with lightweight mix of backed and unbacked carpet, and yoga mat underlay.
Factory seats replaced with carbon Recaro SPG's and custom mounts (fixed on passenger side)
J's carbon hood
3rd brake light replaced with carbon Tamon lip (probably nets to the same weight)
TE37 wheels (again probably same as OEM)
Tein Circuit Master all aluminium body coilovers
Air pump delete
Amuse R1 Ti single exhaust with test pipe
Cut out lower rear bumper
Removal of all airbags and computer
Replace OEM steering wheel with Mugen
Replace OEM airbox with custom 4" CAI
Remove OEM heat shield
Replace front bar with buddyclub version (definitely lighter)
Replace factory rear subframe brace with custom AL piece
Replace OEM front upper arms with tubular adjustable arms
Remove front and rear brake heat sheilds
Remove factory CD stacker and wiring
Remove factory hood prop
Not sure how much weight I've saved but I will put it on some corner weight scales at some point soon when I'm ready to finalize alignment Speaking of alignment I've done a street alignment to the following specs;
Front camber -2', Toe 0
Rear camber -1.6' Toe 2mm in each side.
I string my cars to do alignments like so;
You can also see that I've finished painting the car, and it's OK. I will probably colour sand and maybe shoot a flow coat over the whole thing after giving it some months to settle. I'll take some decent pics when I completely finish the build but for now here's a quick side shot. Remember daily driver and track car hence a usable and performance oriented ride height..