Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

The Story of My GPW AP2 by JacobFatz

Old 05-20-2016, 11:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking great! How much was the new wheel wrapped, if you mind my asking?
Old 05-20-2016, 03:59 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by coop3422
Looking great! How much was the new wheel wrapped, if you mind my asking?
I'm not allowed to say how much I paid since it was "friend pricing," but with the wheel created on RedLine's site, it was about $375 I want to say with installation, plus the cost of a used wheel. I'm sure you can get a nice discount if you email Moddiction though. He's a distributer for RedLine and I will always recommend him for anything.

Here's how it all came out! I'm super excited to put it in my car.

Old 05-29-2016, 04:58 PM

It was about time to change the engine oil, so I did a semi-full service. I had receipts for all of the fluids from the sale of the car, so I didn't do what I usually do and change every fluid as soon as I buy the car.

Pennzoil Platinum 10w30 full synthetic oil with an OEM S2000 oil filter
OEM Honda MTF transmission fluid
Amsoil Severe Gear 75w140 differential fluid

OEM cabin air filter replacement
OEM PCV valve replacement

Clean the throttle body and IACV
Clean air filter (It's a K&N filter) also, I totally forgot about it but my OEM airbox has been gutted as well!

I installed the custom steering wheel. Not realizing that the mounting is just a spline, leaving a TON of room for error, I put my car on the alignment rack and installed the wheel with the front wheels at perfect 0.0* steer ahead and then had a coworker align the car to perfect factory specification with my in the driver's seat and keeping the steering wheel 100% perfectly straight as he adjusted front toe to 0.0* ahead. Also bought some almost new OEM AP2 red floor mats. I am SO happy with how this car has turned out. *note the airbag was not tightened down or aligned in this photo so that's why it looks super crooked

OEM hardtop has been stored inside on my OEM stand. Safe and sound inside my closet, excuse the mess.

And this update is kind of exciting... Track day!!

I went with my friend who has a 2008 KW s/c S2000 (Berlina Black one in the second picture) who makes about 150whp/80tq more than my car, and he couldn't keep up with me! Not bad for my first ever HPDE event.

The ETD unscrewed itself after the first session. It was very easily repairable but WOW what a difference it makes. My shifter was noticeably sloppier after it came undone.

Here's a few clips I added in and my spin out. I had about 80 minutes of track video, so I kind of just grabbed a few random laps.

I came in a bit too fast for the corner, way too wide, multiple steering inputs, and pinched the corner. No wonder I spun. Oh well. Live and learn. By far the most fun I've ever had in a vehicle, I cannot wait until the next track day with some nice tires.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:24 AM

Hello again, it's been a while since I've updated.

I guess we can start with the boring stuff.

Following the track day, I listed almost all of my spare parts for sale. I sold the AP1 radio door because a clip was broken and I lost interest (buyer was informed before purchasing), sold the black AP2V2 seats, tan carpet, tan leather console, tan floor mats, and OEM hardtop among other things. I was sad to see the top go, but it was sold for $4,000 and the top was just not worth that much money to me. I actually bought a daily with that money haha.

To celebrate almost $7,000 in parts sales, I bought a few things for the S2000. I decided on trying out the Acura TL-S Brembo big brake kit. A friend of mine was selling the kit he had already put together and it was cheap so I said why not.

After contemplating things with this kit, I decided it wasn't for me and I sold it after owning it for two whole weeks. It never even made it outside the house.

Another friend of mine was selling an OEM AP1 trunk spoiler with original GPW paint, so I picked that up to replace my repainted spoiler.

*trunk was popped

I ordered from Swift Spec R springs to lower my car a bit. I'm not that crazy about not having adjustable coilovers like I had on my AP1 (KWV3), but they're okay for $300.

Immediately after installing springs and aligning:

Comparison to a stock height S2000:

Next I was trying to embrace my inner ricer and plastidip my side emblems. There was no way that the dip was going to look good no matter how many coats I sprayed or how many times I peeled it off and tried again. I gave up with trying to get it perfect. The stupid plastidip was under the emblem and I couldn't remove it all completely, so I just took the side emblems off and buffed the area clean.

The best S2000 vendor hooked it up for me. I made quite a large order with Ryan at Moddicition for some new wheels, big brakes, and lug nuts. As always, I am extremely pleased with how everything went. The wheels I wanted were not in stock, and Enkei also didn't have them in stock, and he took care of it. They had to clear a huge big brake kit, stock fenders (no roll), and same size/larger tires had to fit with no stretch or extra camber. It was between the Enkei PF01 and TSW Nurburgring.

After getting the new wheels and lug nuts on

So much room for activities!

Hmm... Much better.

I also painted the rear calipers after removing them to match the Stoptech ST-40 328mm BBK in the front.

Now that I have a daily again, I can let the S2000 relax during crappy weather days and runs to the store. Both cars are filthy here and I literally just bought the Camry less than 12 hours ago at the time of the photo.

I need a solid day to detail both cars in and out. I am considering renting a storage unit to keep the Honda garaged in, but not sure yet. Instead of storing the AP2V1 wheels, I think I'm going to put them on the Camry!
Old 08-21-2016, 11:50 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Great thread! I like all the attention to detail, and all the cleaning as you go. I LOVE the seats. If I ever have mine redone, I'll probably go the MY09 route...

Subbed
Old 08-21-2016, 12:58 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Nice work!
Old 08-21-2016, 01:41 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

What was done to the seats? I'm curious if someone like that is in my area. I have '07 blk/red seats that I wouldn't mind conditioning. PM me if that's easier. Great thread and love the choices you have made.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Memo6453
What was done to the seats? I'm curious if someone like that is in my area. I have '07 blk/red seats that I wouldn't mind conditioning. PM me if that's easier. Great thread and love the choices you have made.
The seats were steamed to open all the pores in the leather, wiped down to remove all dirt and contaminants, then touched up in faded areas with Honda leather dye/paint. After about two weeks, I steam cleaned them again and applied a light coat of leather conditioner and continue to use small applications of the conditioner every two weeks about.

I work at a dealership and this is a "deluxe" process used on trade-ins that will be resold on our lot. I would recommend asking your local dealer if they have anything similar to this.

You can also see in my AP1 thread where the same person restored my all red seats.

Originally Posted by Dreaming_S2k
Great thread! I like all the attention to detail, and all the cleaning as you go. I LOVE the seats. If I ever have mine redone, I'll probably go the MY09 route...

Subbed
Originally Posted by 1nate7
Nice work!
Thanks guys!
Old 08-21-2016, 08:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love the attention to detail. Great build thread.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:21 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I saw you again this morning on the way back from the gym. Do you work @ that dealer right by the interstate?

Quick Reply: The Story of My GPW AP2 by JacobFatz