Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

The Story of My GPW AP2 by JacobFatz

Old 04-05-2017, 06:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Throwback to July

Old 06-11-2017, 09:40 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by PenguinS2000
Throwback to July
Thanks, Tyler <3 I just realized how badly my headlights need some love...
Old 06-11-2017, 10:15 PM

About a month ago, I made my way back to Carolina Motorsports Park in Kershaw, SC. In preparation for the track day, (SCCA Track Night in America) I changed the engine oil and filter with Pennzoil Platinum 10w30 and an OEM Honda S2000 oil filter.

I have been dreading my OEM seats because of the lack of support they provide compared to a proper racing seat and five/six-point harness. During some online browsing, I saw a product made by Modifry that essentially turns the OEM seatbelt into a three point harness by locking the mechanism via a magnet. I read about this product, talked to a few people about the safety of this product, and then decided that I wanted one until I finally pull the trigger on Pole Position Recaro seats and a roll bar/harness.

Modifry discontinued this product a few years back. I figured I would try to email Bob and see if he could walk me through making one for myself. His reply to my message was that he would be totally happy to just make me one even though it was discontinued! So he created another unit for me, I opted to get the switch kit which allows the driver to flip a switch and it will lock/unlock the seatbelt.

I picked it up from his house and installed it with maybe 12 hours to spare before I needed to leave for the track.

His kit comes with enough wiring to place the switch on the center console or glove box. I wanted the switch to be mounted underneath the steering wheel. I extended the wires and taped it all up so it would be nice and neat.

All done

I quickly realized that placing the switch underneath the steering column was going to be a total pain in the ass. I ended up removing the air bag, steering wheel, and then surrounding plastics for the column.

At this point, I was getting very frustrated with getting everything to fit right and for the wires to be completely hidden. I ended up routing it out underneath the dash and ran it under the transmission tunnel leather to its spot behind the driver's seat.

Nevertheless, I got what I wanted where I wanted it. Was it worth the extra trouble? Hell no. Would I do it this way again? Probably.

Went home, ate, showered, filled up the S2000, and left for the track with NMeOne.

You know you had fun when you have chunks of melted rubber on your wheel lips.

The car did really well. The Modifry seat belt lock worked extremely well and definitely helped me stay focused on driving versus keeping myself in the seat.

Here are a few shots, done by Tradd's Photos, of me on track that day. Bonus shots of me spinning included.

And here's a video of my best lap times. Overall, the day was really fun and I learned even more about my driving and the way my car is setup.

I really wanted to get this done before race day, but it just didn't work out. I found a pretty cheap S2000 for sale on one of the Facebook groups and told a friend of mine about it. To thank me and as sort of a finder's fee, he gave me a 53mm KOYORAD Race radiator with a 1.3bar cap that was installed in that car I found (Old guy owned it and it was cheaper to put a Koyo unit in versus a new OEM when the OEM radiator started to leak). Two gallons of Honda Type II Blue filled it PERFECTLY.

Out with the old and in with the new...

Pro tip... Buy a vacuum bleeder if you do more than one coolant flush per month. This tool has saved me so much time. You connect an air line to it, spray all air out of the cooling system creating a vacuum in the system, then place the hose into a bucket of coolant, open the valve on the tool, and BOOM the vacuum pressure sucks in the coolant with zero air pockets.

I had to modify the airbox a little. Notched the mounting tab so the sensor would fit on the stock mounting location versus leaving it loose. I believe with the 36mm radiator they sell for the street version, you don't have to worry about this.

All done! I polished the top of the radiator so those ugly water spots would go away. I drove it a little to make sure there were no air bubbles or leaks. Very happy and grateful for this free modification (minus the $40 in coolant I had to buy).
The following users liked this post:
S1 S2 (06-13-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 08:01 PM

Updated the entire thread with new photo links because Photobucket sucks. Officially made the switch to Flickr. Here are a few great shots by PenguinS2000 taken at the 2017 Charlotte S2000 Cookout.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

this thread is gay!!!
Old 07-20-2017, 07:38 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

More info on the vacuum bleeder please? Amazon link? Thanks! Cars looking good!
Old 07-20-2017, 08:07 AM
Community Organizer

Received 217 Likes on 138 Posts

Love your car Jacob. I'm really surprised with how nice those Enkeis look on your car. I've always though they were kinda bland, but I don't think I've seen them in that finish and offset before. Makes me want to pick up a set haha.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_
Love your car Jacob. I'm really surprised with how nice those Enkeis look on your car. I've always though they were kinda bland, but I don't think I've seen them in that finish and offset before. Makes me want to pick up a set haha.
Thanks man. I absolutely love them and how the look with the rest of the car. I never really liked them on other S2000s as well, but I took a leap of faith for these because they fit my brakes without any fender rolling or stretched tire.

Originally Posted by hybridz0r
More info on the vacuum bleeder please? Amazon link? Thanks! Cars looking good!
It's super easy to use. Saves so much time. Here's the one I have.

http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDisplay.cfm?lookup=UVW550000&source=froogle&kw =UVW550000&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpJqUtqOY1QIVlYSzCh3Xy gIsEAQYASABEgIWq_D_BwE
The following users liked this post:
hybridz0r (07-21-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 09:55 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Car looks great! I had the same wheels on my GPW, but they were black and I think they look much better in silver.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Kenny_Stang
Car looks great! I had the same wheels on my GPW, but they were black and I think they look much better in silver.
Thanks! Great wheels. I think the light silver overtop the bright red makes them pop a bit more (plus the bright white of the paint). For the week or so I had the wheels installed but not the new brakes, I wasn't sure about them. After the brakes were installed/painted is when I knew I liked them.

Quick Reply: The Story of My GPW AP2 by JacobFatz