Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Jah's MY03 GPW Build Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 08:29 PM

Received 107 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Jah's MY03 GPW Build Thread

This is my very first "Build-Thread" (I usually love to document things on various forums ..hence, this thread).

Don't expect anything exciting at all nor any "because race car" mods. Since, It'll be mostly consist of upkeep, maintenance, reconditioning, repairs and very few mods (if any), of my first S2000. Plan is to ultimately keep it OEM, clean, classic & nostalgic. Starting with a quick intro...

After a year of lusting and countless searching, emails and VIN running....I finally have my first S2000!!!

MY03
GPW on Tan
Clean title
No accidents
95k miles
Bone-stock

Initial driving impressions. Well, I haven't had a "sporty car" since the '90s (EG LS/Vtec and RPS13 SR). I've been driving around an automatic Tacoma for the past 13 years. So, obviously, this is quite a change. Impressions so far? From what I remember from my old modified cars (my brother and all my friends had modified imports as well I've driven many times back in the day), Completely different. My old cars were set-up very well too - coilovers or nice springs/dampers, sway bars, suspension bits here and there, good/decent power from swaps and mod parts, etc., etc. But, boy oh boy - this S2k is on another planet! - tight as a friggin drum, smooth as silk, raw and stiff like a race car, heavy steering feel, heavy clutch (I'm coming from a Tacoma lol), so low to the ground, soaks up bumps with ease, turns and handling feel precise like a razor blade, etc., etc. I'm sure you all can relate and remember your first, proper, long-drive (ie: not just a short test-drive), after purchasing your first S2000.

I've also noticed it gets a lot of attention I am totally not used to. Especially from other Hondas (vans, CRVs, Civics, FITs, Accords) stalking, chasing and tailgating me..and also of course other sports car owners that slow down on the side of me and check out the car too.

All in all, so far...I am overwhelmed with excitement (I was shaking a bit and nervous driving her home). I've loved Hondas since the 90s and drooled over the SSM concept car when it was first announced in the late '90s (when the concept car had the big "H" badge right on the grill). It was a "far fetched dream car" I thought I wouldn't have ever owned (given its' price); but, of course, lusted about it as any Honda fan would. Especially, being it was Honda's first Rwd car (well, besides the even more unattainable and expensive NSX super car).

Whew ....I need a breather.

Here's the very first pics right after payment at the bank, then back at home on the driveway after purchase (need a car cover asap!)

Better pics (with a real camera and after a good wash, claybar, wax, interior clean and detail) soon to come!

Plans:
It's my DD and only car (I work at home currently and for now; so it'll have low usage). Plans are to mainly restore it to as good of condition and to as new-running as possible. Just OEM parts/mods and basic maintenance stuff. Mechanical refreshing with new OEM parts when needed. Maybe Ap2 wheels. Nicer tires obviously. OEM CR shocks and CR springs (or Swift Spec R springs) eventually. Maybe a CR front?MY00-01 front sway bar. A front bumper respray with an added Ap1 lip; or maybe just go for an Ap2 front bumper (since prof paint work is expensive to begin with ..might as well). Rear OEM spoiler. Perhaps an OEM style hard top when funds suffice someday. Etc., etc...

Last edited by Jah2000; 07-12-2017 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:31 PM

Peek-a-boo

Last edited by Jah2000; 07-12-2017 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice pic. Figured I'd post here didn't wanna clutter your intro thread. Yeah I ordered the cr shocks from hardtopguy. You can also check with Majestic or Bernardi Honda. Hope this helps. Looking forward to the build
Old 10-28-2015, 08:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the 03 GPW/Tan club

Also, your signature only shows on the first post of yours that shows on each page.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:51 AM

Ah.. I didn't know that about the signature. thx
Old 10-28-2015, 08:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good!
AP1 lip!
Old 10-29-2015, 02:10 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Old 10-29-2015, 10:26 AM
Community Organizer

Received 212 Likes on 137 Posts

Old 10-29-2015, 11:31 AM

Update:

Proceeded to wash and detail my S2000 for the very first time.

Plan of attack:
Interior - Scrub, wash and hose down floormats, vacuum and scrub carpet, clean leather and interior panels and dash, glass, etc. Main/only product used will be OPC.
Exterior - Simple ONR wash, followed by OCW. I was dead tired after spending 6-10 hours on interior (I lost count); so, claybar some other time (I always use Nanoskin Sponges). Though, the paint feels super smooth already directly from previous owner; and not much contaminants at all for a 13yo car. I am betting it's been claybarred somewhat recently.

Weapons of choice: ONR, OPC (for wheels, tires, interior, carpet and leather) and OCW

Floormats, before & after (the next day, all dried). Only OPC, scrubbing and hose used.

Vacuuming.

Cleaning, wiping and scrubbing carpet.

Such nice fit&finish. I wasn't expecting an S2000 to be this nice.

More cleaning...

Finally done after 6-8 hours.

Surprisingly, after washing the car, I didn't come across many dings nor significant/medium scratches at all (if any). Only a handful of very few and very small nicks & chips (compared to 1000s of chips, scratches, nicks and dings on even lower-mile S2000s I've seen).

However.. After washing and cleaning the interior and exterior, I did come across a few problems - dome light not working, rear license plate lamp not working and the rear bumper (an Ap2 bumper; because it got lightly "tapped" from behind, under the previous owner's ownership) is missing a few bumper-to-fender screws (the very lowest screws that secure the bumper's bottom corner wheelwell). I've also been told, it looks like the bumper's corners are "flapping" from the wind on the freeway, when someone is behind or following me.

So, my very 1st DIY repair and fix is the dome light (courtesy of the info on S2ki). After, I then fixed the rear license plate lamp. As for the rear bumper "flapping," I am ordering proper OEM screws and grommets (higher quality, less corrosion, black coating and better fitment, vs cheap hardware store stuff from my past experiences).

Dome light removed.

Confirmed cause - white oxidation and dark brown tar.

600 or 1000 grit sandpaper to clean it up.

The switch contacts, before and after. There was brown gunk and tar on the as well. Sand them down.

All assembled and ready to go back in. I use Deoxit for protection, lubrication, improved electrical contact and extra corrosion removal and resistance. (Deoxit is very popular within the music production and analog audio engineering industry).

We have light!

Next up was to tackle the rear license plate lamp. I removed it, and saw it was covered in dirt and dried grease (most likely old dielectric grease) a 1/4-1/2" thick lol. Didn't take pics of it; but, I degreased, scrubbed and cleaned it. The bulb inside looked fine as well; telling me it's likely a bad connection from dirt. Also, the lamp's lens had a bit of white overspray on it (from when the Ap2 rear bumper was installed/painted). I removed the overspray easily with my Nanoskin claybar (yes, this Nanoskin is that good... able to remove overspray with ease). After cleaning, I added Deoxit again to all the connections - plug pins, bulb terminals, etc. I prefer Dexoit rather than automotive dielectric grease. The latter attracts waay too much dirt, tiny rocks and grime and also doesn't have any corrosion killing properties.

It works!

Last edited by Jah2000; 07-12-2017 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:31 AM

All done. She cleans up real nice.

Last edited by Jah2000; 07-12-2017 at 04:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Jah's MY03 GPW Build Thread