Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Kenny_Stang's build thread: GPW content inside!

Old 04-20-2017, 10:20 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RussianHammer
Happy to see your imput on the valve cover mod. I was thinking of also getting this done.
I have a ASM/ cusco can, and its a pain to dump when it fills up. Would be nice to have to worry about it less.
Yeah, my old can was similar and it was a huge pain. The new catch can combo holds more than double what my old one did, that along with the VC mod means I'll likely only have to empty it out once or twice a year. Also the new catchcan comes with a drain petcock, which will make it much easier (and cleaner) to empty out the can. Overall a very worthwhile mod.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:41 AM

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

I was thinking of making something like that. Adding a drain to mine at the bottom. maybe weld a bung with threads.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:25 AM

So as I've been tracking the car more and more, started to feel the that the stock seats were no
longer cutting it. To try and stay in place I was having to brace myself with my knees, and
this in turn made it difficult to be precise with my brake and throttle inputs. Only issue here
is that the majority of the aftermarket seats that fit the S2000, don't fit me. I am what you
could call "fluffy" (6'0" 280lbs 42" waist) and as you can imagine my options were extremely
limited. I had tried several different seats: Recaro PP (barely fit, but harness holes are too
low), Sparco EvoII US (fit decent, but requires extensive work to fit the car), and looked at
ordering the Marrad ST3 (which are copies of the Recaro Pole Position ABE which are a little
wider than the regular PP and have larger harness holes, but have no FIA or SFI certification).
During my last track day with Track Night in America, one of the local S2000 guys had recently
installed a Corbeau Forza Sport and I asked if I could sit in it. The seat fit me good (about
the same as the Sparco EvoII US) is FIA certified, had proper harness holes, cost less than half
of the Sparco and Recaro options, and best of all fit the S2000 with no modifications needed!

So I decided to order the seat along with the Corbeau seat brackets with double locking sliders.
Ordered the seats from THMotorsports who had the lowest price and also offered free
shipping. The seat arrived one week after I ordered it, shipped directly from Corbeau

The seat was packaged very well, it included the seat brackets in the box which are very well
made with thick steel and predrilled for the S2000.

The bracket install was very straightforward, the Forza Sport comes with options to either do a
side mount or bottom mount, the Corbeau seat brackets use the bottom mounting option. To install just remove the 4 hex mounting bolts on the bottom of the seat, align with the holes in the slider and install.

The brackets also include a place to mount the OEM seatbelt, which many aftermarket brackets do not

Bracket install took maybe 10 minutes total, and the seat was ready to go in the car

Here's a closeup of the seat and materials, it has good padding and the cloth like material seems to be good quality, I would say equal to what you get on a Sparco seat.

FIA certification

Side by side with the stock seat

The seat install itself was very simple, I've read horror stories of installing aftermarket seats and how difficult it is, but with the Corbeau brackets, everything lined up perfectly out of the box, I pushed the seat slider all the way back and installed the front two bolts first but left them loose. Then pushed the seat all the way forward and using a long 3/8 extension easily bolted the back two bolts. Total install time, including removal of the stock seat and moving over the OEM seatbelt buckle was 45 minutes. Here are some pics of the seat installed:

Before the install I took some pictures and measurements of myself in the seat with my helmet, just give others some idea of how low the seat fits. With both seats pused all the way back, the OEM seat was 40" from the floor of the car to the top of my head, the Corbeau seat was just under 39". So with this seat you also gain a little over an inch of headroom. Top is the Corbeau seat, bottom is the stock seat.

Since I am happy with the seat and the ease of installation, I went ahead and ordered another for the passenger side as well. Had the wife try it out, and even though she is much smaller than me, she felt comfortable in the seat and said it felt much more supportive than the stock seat. Hopefully this helps some others in a similar situations, if anyone has any questions about the seat or the install, let me know!

Last edited by Kenny_Stang; 07-14-2017 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Updating image links with Flickr
The following users liked this post:
S1 S2 (04-22-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 12:51 PM

Finally got a chance to take some pictures of me in the seat with the seat belt buckled (extender didn't arrive till today). There's not a ton of room to take pictures, but here you can see how the seat fits around my shoulders, its very snug but not uncomfortable. Will take it for a spin soon and report back with driving impressions, also have a track day next week (May 5th) so should have some info from that as well. The passenger side seat should arrive by Thursday, so will be installing that one next.

Last edited by Kenny_Stang; 07-14-2017 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Updated images with Flickr links
Old 04-28-2017, 04:12 AM

So finally got arround to getting the car dyno tuned. Up to this point the car had a street tune that was VERY conservative, the fueling was very rich, and the timing was extremely low. With the existing tune the car put down 352 RWHP / 235 ft/lbs, after adjusting the fuel to smooth it out, and adding some timing we ended up at 404 / 257 (SAE Corrected) @ 8280 RPM. This is still a very conservative tune to make sure it stays healthy on the track in all conditions.

Last edited by Kenny_Stang; 07-13-2017 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Updated photo links to Flickr
Old 04-28-2017, 07:41 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Love the build!!
The following users liked this post:
Kenny_Stang (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by hybridz0r
Love the build!!
Thank you!
Old 04-28-2017, 09:48 AM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

Solid numbers. My friend just tuned his kw sc and only made 350whp 250wtq at 12psi on a dynomite. Wonder why his numbers are so low compared to other sc s2ks
Old 04-28-2017, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Mijae007
Solid numbers. My friend just tuned his kw sc and only made 350whp 250wtq at 12psi on a dynomite. Wonder why his numbers are so low compared to other sc s2ks
What year is his car? Did he upgrade his plugs? Is the engine healthy (compression / leak down test)? Could be a bunch of different reasons, but those are the 3 items I would check first.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:36 AM

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

I dig the stitching on the padding for the seat.

Quick Reply: Kenny_Stang's build thread: GPW content inside!