Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Kyle's GPW/Red long-term S2k shenanigans

Old 01-28-2019, 01:12 AM

Received 616 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Birdybog
Great thread. Actually saw your car on CL. I’m guessing the previous owner was a big Razorback fan given that color scheme. You said “Car is all torn apart as I'm replacing the original cracked cluster with another one.” Where did you find the cluster?
Scott
Thanks! I found the cluster on Facebook; I'm a member of a few FS groups on there. Sucks too is the faceplate is replaceable, and quite easily at that, but Honda discontinued that part, so unfortunately the only way to remedy this is to buy a used cluster and hope it's in decent shape. The one I picked up has just a couple of light buffeting scratches on the face, kinda to be expected, it's a very easily scratched laminated material, but generally not noticeable unless it's in the right lighting conditions.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:41 AM
Community Organizer

Received 217 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle
<3

Also, I think I should probably have the thread title edited again.....long-term isn't quite proper anymore. In terms of the parts for the modifications I want to do to this car things are progressing a lot quicker than I thought they would. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get the cheaper pre-BF price in time on the V8R stoptech STR43 trophy kit that @Ricky_Flowers_ made but I should be getting those in tomorrow....so stoked that I was able to run a BBK kit with my wheels without sacrificing anything in terms of offset, etc. Also big shout out to @adrs2k for essentially blazing the trail for me in terms of finding a beautiful set of wheels that fits this car with no fender mods, on top of being one of the first users of the new brake system and giving them a review. Really appreciate what he's done with the car and his vision as far as preserving it coincides with my own, so I'm thankful someone found a setup that sacrifices essentially nothing, while still functioning, while still looking great, that fits our car without modification.

Super happy with my mod choices thus far...The research has been exhausting and the wallet has been reeling in agony, but it will all be well worth it. I essentially want to do all of the technical and logistical sorting before I actually execute, so there won't be any surprises. I'll be sure to get some pictures of the new brake setup as well as giving my own review on them once I get around to getting them installed. I think I'll have essentially most of the car sorted just the way I want it and all supporting mods in place, so next year the final step for the car will be the supercharger kit and the kpro ecu.....I've spent enough money so far this year
Just saw this, haha. Glad you're going with the V8R kit, man! I know adrs2k is happy with his, so I'm positive you'll be very satisfied with yours.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looking forward to the install/review of your STR43 kit! I'm heavily considering this kit especially since it's more wheel "friendly".
Old 02-08-2019, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_
Just saw this, haha. Glad you're going with the V8R kit, man! I know adrs2k is happy with his, so I'm positive you'll be very satisfied with yours.
Oh absolutely! At this point in time it's still neatly packaged away in its shipping box, but I did open everything up to inspect, and from what I can see the components are beautifully made, everything came boxed neatly and incredibly tight, the way everything fit together in the box amazed me, not a bit of wiggle room, someone spent some time working out the logistics of even the shipping packaging haha....Can't wait to get this stuff installed. I'd take pictures, but the pictures that Adam has in his thread are nigh unbeatable, so if anyone wants reference pics of the kit components, and installed on the car, refer to @adrs2k 's build thread, as any picture I took wouldn't do the same justice his do.

I'll be sure to give a review from a more novice driver / every day / street approach. Seeing as this is mainly going to be a street car and I'm not an experienced driver, I'll give my take on everything in a more layman's perspective for prospective buyers who aren't nearly as advanced as other members with track & HDPE experience. Understandably a BBK is mainly useless on your typical street car, and bombing the back roads won't tax the OEM braking system; but man are they pretty! Admittedly I mainly did it for looks, and some users might sneer at that, but tracking may be in my future, so I'd wager to say I have a decently set-up track car if and when I decide to hit the track. Trying to build myself a well-balanced street machine with plenty of tracking potential all while maintaining the OEM body of the car in terms of zero modification to the fenders, no cutting, drilling, anything of the sort - all bolt-on parts.

Thank you to Ricky, Adam and all of the other members and individuals who contributed in developing this kit. It hits a certain niche for people who prefer to leave their cars as stock as possible that still would like to run a wider, high-offset wheel and still have a friendly BBK setup that will work with those. Hit the nail on the head, the additional cost is nothing in comparison to my no-compromise stance listed above. For those individuals who feel the same way, this is your solution, and I doubt there will ever be a better one, so I'm glad everything came together at the time it did and this kit became available right when I started to hit the market for a BBK to suit my needs; if this kit didn't exist I would've been SOL. You guys rock! Can't wait, just a few more months!

Last edited by Kyle; 02-08-2019 at 06:37 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:32 PM

Received 187 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle

Oh absolutely! At this point in time it's still neatly packaged away in its shipping box, but I did open everything up to inspect, and from what I can see the components are beautifully made, everything came boxed neatly and incredibly tight, the way everything fit together in the box amazed me, not a bit of wiggle room, someone spent some time working out the logistics of even the shipping packaging haha....Can't wait to get this stuff installed. I'd take pictures, but the pictures that Adam has in his thread are nigh unbeatable, so if anyone wants reference pics of the kit components, and installed on the car, refer to @adrs2k 's build thread, as any picture I took wouldn't do the same justice his do.

I'll be sure to give a review from a more novice driver / every day / street approach. Seeing as this is mainly going to be a street car and I'm not an experienced driver, I'll give my take on everything in a more layman's perspective for prospective buyers who aren't nearly as advanced as other members with track & HDPE experience. Understandably a BBK is mainly useless on your typical street car, and bombing the back roads won't tax the OEM braking system; but man are they pretty! Admittedly I mainly did it for looks, and some users might sneer at that, but tracking may be in my future, so I'd wager to say I have a decently set-up track car if and when I decide to hit the track. Trying to build myself a well-balanced street machine with plenty of tracking potential all while maintaining the OEM body of the car in terms of zero modification to the fenders, no cutting, drilling, anything of the sort - all bolt-on parts.

Thank you to Ricky, Adam and all of the other members and individuals who contributed in developing this kit. It hits a certain niche for people who prefer to leave their cars as stock as possible that still would like to run a wider, high-offset wheel and still have a friendly BBK setup that will work with those. Hit the nail on the head, the additional cost is nothing in comparison to my no-compromise stance listed above. For those individuals who feel the same way, this is your solution, and I doubt there will ever be a better one, so I'm glad everything came together at the time it did and this kit became available right when I started to hit the market for a BBK to suit my needs; if this kit didn't exist I would've been SOL. You guys rock! Can't wait, just a few more months!
Your BBK will serve you well in the future so its a worthwhile investment and yes, it looks awesome! Such quality. Can't wait to see it on your car and hear what the braking performance is like
Old 06-03-2019, 12:09 AM

I REALLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYY need to start working on stuff.....

As it currently stands I have the following I need to install:

-Ohlins coils
-Ton of hardrace shit between engine/trans mounts, suspension ball joints, sway bars, bushings etc
- Advan RZII and Stoptech STR43 BBK w/ SS lines
- T1R 70EM single exhaust with Urge Unicorn header & Toda 60 -> 70mm TP
- OEM Lip
- Koyo radiator w/ black Samco hoses

I think I'd be happy just getting most of that done for the season. That's not even counting power mods which are:

- ACT HD PP w/ OEM disk & bearings + ACT Prolite flywheel
- KPro V4
- ID1050x injectors w/ AEM fuel rail & FPR
- SOS TB with port-matched manifold
- KW C38-92 30mm kit w/ 95mm pulley
- AEM 340 fuel pump w/ SOS hardwire kit

Just a ton of other small stuff on top of that.....It was a LONGGGGGGG winter here in New England and now I find myself overwhelmed by the sheer amount of shit I've bought over the winter. This is quite possibly the stupidest way to go about building a car and I totally regret it LOL.....Just can't seem to find the time and motivation at the same time to start tackling all of the underlying stuff before I can start upping the power and handling. Definitely not looking forward to the KPro or clutch install or the manifold swap......

Last edited by Kyle; 06-03-2019 at 12:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
S2KiChad (09-28-2023)
Old 06-03-2019, 03:11 AM

Received 187 Likes on 161 Posts

Let the parts themselves and your awesome car motivate you! Seems like a daunting task and yeah it is but man I wish I had that many great parts waiting to get installed Stick with your tentative list of things that can be installed relatively easily. I'd say get the header and exhaust on, new rims and tyres then finally the lip. Then you need to enjoy it like there's no tomorrow! After driving around for a while with those mods and having gotten a feel for the stock suspension you can slap on them fine ass Ohlins coils, beautiful STR43 kit and Koyo rad. Maybe after that's done and you spend a month or two with those changes you can look at power mods. I would install the ACT/OEM combo clutch first then the Kpro V4 and finally the supercharger itself.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:19 PM

So I was feeling motivated this past weekend, finally got some stuff done. Got the car started after a 7 month hibernation. Fired right up within less than a second of pressing the button! Still got a few things to do but she'll be back on the road soon and I'll do mods slowly while I enjoy the driving season. I'll save the major stuff for fall and winter.

So my first task was to get the cluster back into the car. I had left it all taken apart before I put it away last season, so before I can do anything I needed to get this situation sorted. The original cluster that came in my car when I bought it had small cracks near the bottom. Normally wouldn't be a big deal but it drove me bonkers. You can see it almost directly under the odometer on the left.

Unfortunately the lens is now discontinued from Honda. I exhausted my search trying to get one from Europe, Japan, various US dealers to no avail. So I was forced to buy a used cluster and work with that. Luckily I found a decent cluster, and instead of swapping lenses, I instead opted to swap the boards from the backside of the clusters to retain my original mileage while also preventing the lens from getting further scratched and/or dust & fingerprints on it during the swap....these lenses are extremely prone to scratching, so the less you need to handle them the better. While I was in there I also put in all new bulbs to proof it for the future. I'd rather not have one burn out on me. Plus I'm unsure of the mileage on the cluster I bought or how much use it had, so better safe than sorry.

Last edited by Kyle; 06-11-2019 at 11:26 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:11 AM

Back in the car and reading the correct mileage!

Next step is to reinstall the dash. I was holding out for the Modifry phone holder bracket, but I've since opted not to do that, I prefer the clean look without that there. I have a new OEM dash bezel and I got my hands on some nice used silver controls as the silver trim on the 02-03 cars seems to get pretty scummy with age, whereas the rest of the interior has remained in excellent condition. I'll probably get around to installing that tomorrow.

In the meantime I installed the Modifry cup holder. I decided to grab some of the black mounting pegs for the little storage net as opposed to the red that are originally there. I think they look cleaner as they blend into the black mounting plate of the bezel better than red would.

Last edited by Kyle; 06-12-2019 at 12:17 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:42 AM
Community Organizer

Received 217 Likes on 138 Posts

Progress! Can't wait to see the car once all the suspension stuff is bolted up.

Quick Reply: Kyle's GPW/Red long-term S2k shenanigans