Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Kyle's GPW/Red long-term S2k shenanigans

Old 06-13-2019, 12:03 AM

Received 616 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_
Progress! Can't wait to see the car once all the suspension stuff is bolted up.
We're getting there....I haven't been too motivated as of late, life has had me burned out between work and personal bullshit, but I've gotten my mojo back of late, and when I can find the time I get work done!

Old 06-13-2019, 12:07 AM

So today I finally got the dash put back together and everything snugged up. Kind of a pain in the ass to remember where shit goes after you've had it taken apart for 7 months and just kinda left it. Also installed an NSX-S / Zanardi titanium shift knob...foolishly enough I didn't take a pic of it installed, but I have it laying on the center console with the part number! Lol.

First step was to get the new OEM silver bezel assembled. I used a shitload of blue painter's time while installing the climate and radio controls; it's SUPER easy to mar the bezel if you're not careful (ask me how I know, and why I'm using blue tape on this second new one....) Also used a ton of blue painters tape when reinstalling into the car between the control stalks and around the starter button before I slid it all the way back in. I can't stress enough how stupid easy these things scratch....

Luckily I got a great deal on a set of used climate and radio controls from a member here a while back. Really wish Honda just stuck with black through all model years for the interior trim....I think they learned their lesson with the 02-03 silver trim not holding up....The problem with all of the silver stuff is it's just painted plastic instead of being molded that color...so it scratches, chips, fades, smudges etc etc incredibly easy if you don't take care of it. If this stuff doesn't hold up to careful use I think I'll just convert everything to the 04+ black bezel and climate controls and forget about it; it'll be too difficult and expensive to keep sourcing and purchasing new silver pieces. Check out my controls after only 53k miles....I'd imagine the previous owner took good care of the car, all service records since day one, all 10 vins intact, everything else is incredibly clean....but these controls man.....Glad they're gone, it really freshens up the interior and brings the look to the next level when things aren't scuzzy.

And here's the finished product with everything back together proper. I forgot to get a pic of the NSX Zanardi knob installed, but there's pics floating around out there. I'll have a pic of it soon. Next up is to get the Modifry GoPro mount installed that goes under the aero screen. Just waiting on some neoprene adhesive; I'll get into that part later.

That's all for now. Next up is some small things like getting the GoPro mount installed, new battery, and a fresh oil change and then it'll be ready to be on the road again. I think my first order of business is going to be getting the clutch installed and miles on it. I definitely don't have enough seat time in this car to justify changing the suspension right now. Plus I'm still waiting on a few bits from HardRace that aren't back in stock yet before I can install some of the suspension components. Foreseeable goals for now is just getting the clutch installed and broken it, and seat time seat time seat time before I start getting into the more major modifications of suspension and adding power.

Last edited by Kyle; 06-13-2019 at 12:29 AM.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:07 AM

Received 186 Likes on 160 Posts

I didn't notice the crack on your cluster before! That would have driven me nuts as well so I would have changed it too. Fine scratches can be pardoned but cracks, no thanks! As for the silver bezels, fortunately mine are not smudged or chipped in any way. I'm pleased that I don't have to change them out as a result. Nice going dude
The NSX knob is cool and I can see Honda drew inspiration from it for our original AP1 knobs
Old 06-15-2019, 07:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Very solid stuff can’t wait for more updates
Old 06-15-2019, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
I didn't notice the crack on your cluster before! That would have driven me nuts as well so I would have changed it too. Fine scratches can be pardoned but cracks, no thanks! As for the silver bezels, fortunately mine are not smudged or chipped in any way. I'm pleased that I don't have to change them out as a result. Nice going dude
The NSX knob is cool and I can see Honda drew inspiration from it for our original AP1 knobs
I knowwww.....This car is going to be driven and enjoyed to the fullest, therefore it's not going to ever be perfect or a show car, but certain little things bug me and I just couldn't let that go. I like my stuff to be as nice as possible within reason when it comes to cost and effort, and that was one thing I deemed necessary to fix. Lucky you on the controls man....Maybe a lady drove my car and had long fingernails or something, I don't know....yet another small little nuisance that I deemed ideal to fix since I was already in there.

Originally Posted by Kid Ap2000
Very solid stuff can’t wait for more updates
Thanks man. I'm pretty anal about a lot of things, so there's gonna be stuff in this thread where people go "really?" XD....I like to think that every modification I do is planned and executed down to the last little detail. Updates may be slow, but I'll try to make them worthwhile.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Kyle
I knowwww.....This car is going to be driven and enjoyed to the fullest, therefore it's not going to ever be perfect or a show car, but certain little things bug me and I just couldn't let that go. I like my stuff to be as nice as possible within reason when it comes to cost and effort, and that was one thing I deemed necessary to fix. Lucky you on the controls man....Maybe a lady drove my car and had long fingernails or something, I don't know....yet another small little nuisance that I deemed ideal to fix since I was already in there.
Preach dude I would not have rested easy with a crack like that on mine. Good to do stuff while you're in there as well. You probably know this already but always use a microfiber cloth with a quality dashboard cleaning solution like Meguiars Dash Cleaner or Heavy Duty Multi Purpose cleaner when cleaning the dash/interior parts especially your cluster's lens.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:43 AM

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Love the car and how detailed you are, I can't wait till you start working on the supercharger!
Old 06-18-2019, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Accordinglytuned
Love the car and how detailed you are, I can't wait till you start working on the supercharger!
Makes three of us (Kyle himself included)
Old 06-19-2019, 09:48 AM

Received 190 Likes on 117 Posts

It's about time you started working on this!
Old 07-01-2019, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by adrs2k
It's about time you started working on this!
Gah I knowwww......Life and priorities have me all messed up right now. In my spare time I do little things here and there, but soon I'll be out of things to tinker with and I'll only have the major stuff to do...

Originally Posted by Accordinglytuned
I'm glad other people appreciate my level of OCD haha. Glad I'm a bit more patient as I've moved away from my 20s, it's a definite virtue....Learned a lot of lessons modding cars when I was younger and didn't have the right tools, knowledge, patience, etc. Fortunately this car will not be made to suffer any of that.

Last edited by Kyle; 07-01-2019 at 08:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Kyle's GPW/Red long-term S2k shenanigans