Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Mark's BBasic AP1

Old 11-22-2017, 07:26 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Mark's BBasic AP1

Hey Everyone,

I am new to the S2000 community, after recently selling my 98 K24 Civic hatchback. I was looking for something more refined in stock form, that also would be enjoyable on the street as well as the track. After several months of searching, I finally landed on a clean little AP1 in Northern MI. I purchased the car on 11/20/17 from the original owner, who got on the wait list for the car in 1998. I picked it up with 79,709 miles, 100% original and never modified, aside from a recent brake rotor upgrade that was done Summer 2016. I wound up paying $10,500 for the car, which I felt was a good deal given the mileage, single ownership and clean title. The front bumper has been re-sprayed, unfortunately they didn't mask the VIN but you can still see the tag beneath the paint. Nonetheless, it still has all 10 matching VINs and all original body panels.

As far as the condition of the car, I would say that it has the normal wear/tear that you would expect for 17 years old. Overall though, it is in very good shape. The black paint is in desperate need of some swirl correction and a good detail. There are a few door dings that I plan to have pulled, and a few little cosmetic things here and there. The underbody is pristine, with little/no surface rust. Even the exhaust piping looks like it just rolled off the manufacturing line.

Plans for the car are to try and enjoy it in stock form, or as close to it as possible. I'm going to pick up an OEM hardtop this weekend to solve my plastic window woes, and I installed a Modifry second cup holder yesterday to allow me to keep drinks out of the center console. At the top of my list of priorities are changing all of the fluids, AP2 intake side valve retainers, valve lash adjustment, TCT, new battery and OEM tie down, hardtop defrost wiring, full interior detail, clean and condition the leather, new intake filter, new cabin air filter, spark plugs, exterior detail.

Below are some pictures of the car. I have not yet washed it or cleaned the interior, so don't pick on me But it's 26* here today. So I kindof have an excuse.

I'm looking forward to making some new friends in the community and beginning to get involved here.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:28 AM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

Congratulations. Looks like it was well-bought. Very similar to mine when I bought it 2.5 years ago. I drove it stock (except for extra front camber) for 2 years to really get to know it. Stock these are really fun cars. Looks like yours has been treated well.

BTW, unless you think it has been over-revved, not sure I'd bother with the valve retainers.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:47 AM

Received 79 Likes on 69 Posts

Looks like you scored a good deal. If you look after it like it appears you are going to, and don't mile it out too bad, you'll get your money back if you sell it down the road in a few years.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:58 AM

Thanks guys! I appreciate the kind words and feedback.

I don't think the car has been over-revved. Probably very unlikely, at least. The previous owner was middle-aged, and never raced the car. The car seems responsive up to redline, with no stutters or odd noises. Would there be any signs if there was a valve retainer cracked? Or is it a gut feeling?
Old 11-28-2017, 12:09 AM

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

Like I said in your introduction topic the car looks great!! You made a great purchase.

Berlina Black is a color that needs some maintenance to always look shiny. But for me is the best for the S2K

Regarding mods you don't consider the AP1 Front Lip OEM?

Have fun!!
Old 11-28-2017, 03:22 AM

Thanks for following!

Im definitely considering an OEM front lip. But will likely need to get a replica one since it looks like they're discontinued. unless I get lucky and find a local BB one.

Last night I decided against getting an oem hardtop from a local seller. I figure that the money could be better spent replacing the soft top next spring.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:50 AM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

Hard top makes the S2000 into just another coupe. If you want one get a new BRZ or similar and you won't mess up your hair.

-- Chuck
Old 11-28-2017, 04:56 AM

Haha. Yea that's pretty much the conclusion I came to as well. I bought the s2000 to get to enjoy it with the top down. I do love how you can change the look and feel of the car by adding the hardtop. But in the end, the money can be better spent elsewhere. Plus I'm mostly driving it when it's nice out. Which will be 95% top down
Old 12-05-2017, 04:05 PM

Picked these up while I was traveling for work. Found them on Letgo for $60. Figure it's well worth the investment. I know the electrical one is 06+, but gotta imagine that a lot of it carries over to the AP1. If I find otherwise, I'm sure I can find a local AP2 owner that will be happy to take it off my hands

Old 12-06-2017, 03:06 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Nice scores. The manuals are priceless.

Quick Reply: Mark's BBasic AP1