Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Mike's S2000 Build

Old 07-27-2013, 05:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Mike's S2000 Build

Hello S2KI,

I have decided to do a build thread.

This thread will be updated as and when I have parts to go on the car or I make an alteration to it.

Money is tight my end so modifications will be slow to happen however it is always nice to have somewhere to document everything.

I first set eyes on the car through autotrader when I was initially looking for a Honda S200. The reason this one caught my eye was because it was cheaper than the those that had the same specs and it came with a Hardtop and private number plate.

I turned 21 in March 2013 so decided to do an insurance quote and see what the outcome was. The outcome was good as the insurance for an S2k was around £1000, a little over the £500 I was currently paying for my 2nd car a Ford Focus 1.8TDCI. The first car I ever owned was a VW Polo 1.4 and I payed £1400 for that so paying £1000 didnt bother me too much when it came to insurance.

The S2000 I bought is a Berlina Black, 96000 miles, Hardtop, 6 CD changer, 6 previous owners. Not by any means immaculate however I was not put off and with a budget of £4500-£5000 I wasnt complaining.

Here is the car when I first bought her at the end of march.

[img]//www.flickr.com/photos/94512604@N07/8602857547/in/photostream/[/img]

The first act was to have the car fully serviced as the previous lady owner had not had the car serviced in two years! Well the seller did inform me that it was done privatly however there were no receipts to prove this!

I drop the car of in the morning to my local indie garage who have worked on all my cars since I started driving. Around lunch time I was informed by the garage to come down and have a look at what they had found. I was officialy S**ting myself thinking I had bought a complete lemon.

I got to the garage and was told to look at the sump, so I did. I noticed there was no sump nut in the bottom so I asked where it was, the mechanic informed me that he had removed it, so my next question was where is the oil. The mechanic then told me to push a screw driver into the sump, which I did. The sump was full of PTFE tape and the screw driver punched a hole in this allowing the oil to drain.

After a closer inspection of the sump area it became apparent that the sump had been seriously damamged at some point in its life and had been completely bodged back together by using chemical metal and PTFE tape. Not impressed.

I informed the garage to order me and new sump and all other parts needed to make it 100% which they did for £300. I then made a quick call the garage I bought the car from and told them what had been found. The owner was not impressed and told me he didnt want to pay for a new one and would only pay half if I used one from a breakers yard....no way. Anyway to cut a long storey short threatening trading standards works wonders, never be affraid always know your rights.

I came to an agreedment with the garage for them to give me £300 for the price of the new sump and I would pay for the labour and oil. I was happy to pay this as I just wanted my new car back!

Sadly I do not have any phones of the sump in this condition, however I can paint a picture. Imagine the inner part of the sump where the sump nut thread it, well just imagine that being covered badly in chemical metal and then chuck a load of PTFE tape in the mix, not pretty.

When I picked the car up the next thing to do was to give it the cleaning of its life time.

The next chapter is to start to fix all the little bits about the car that annoy me.

Firstly I started with getting the door window seal fixed.

Sorry for the bad phot but was done using my phone on a lunch break.

I sourced the correct part from Simon at Hendy Performance, amazing service, competative price, really happy with the end result.

I then went on to the number plates. They were currently stuck on with that rubbish halfrods double sided tape. REMOVED!

Used some propper screws to secure them on.

Whilst doing the front number plate I notice what an absolute aweful condition the front bumper was in! The paint job and previous repaire done is shocking! I will have to deal with this at some point in the future when I have the money. A close friend told me it had done this because the primer used wasnt the correct primer for plastic, I dont know how right this is.

Next was to change all the brake pads and discs as the old ones looked knackered and sqeeked really badly. So I ordered everything from brakesinternational. As I was going to have the rear wheels off I decided to tackle the rust issue on the rear quarters.

To solve this I first removed the arch liners to inspect for any further rust, there wasnt a great deal just a little paint bubbling. Firstly I cleaned all the areas and then coated all the underside in Waxoyl, including the arches and the rusted areas. Once this was dry I rattle canned the underside with underseal as a precaution.

The finish is not amazing however I do have the peace of mind now that it is not going to rust through on me in the direct near future.

I currently have some new tyres on order, 225/50/16 Toyo T1R for the rear and 205/55/16 Toyo T1R for the front. I got these as a treat for myself.

I will Update this thread as more happens to the car.

Last Update: 27.07.2013
Old 07-27-2013, 05:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Could an admin please help fix my photo links and inform me how to do it correctly for the future please.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need the [img] tags, but not the url or href tags. Just put the link starting with http:// inside the img tags.