Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

mrxchris' NFR AP2 S2000

Old 10-08-2017, 09:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default mrxchris' NFR AP2 S2000

Hi Guys!

I picked up a 2006 NFR S2000 last week and am using this thread for my automotive build. The car currently has 72000 miles on it and has gone through 3 owners in its lifetime. I have all records of maintenance from day 1 til now and am looking to keep this car forever!! I've been looking all over California (North and South) to find a clean AP2 that is in really good condition inside and out. I was lucky enough to find this one locally and paid a decent price for it. I'm looking to use this car as a weekender project car so I'll be enjoying the heck out of this car as much as I can!

My previous cars includes a 2013 Scion FRS and a 2014 Lexus IS250 Fsport.

After selling my FRS, I was looking for something easier to drive to and from work everyday (about 70 miles). I bought the IS250 for its comfortable ride but realized I was racking up miles way too quickly on it. I sold that car and now am using the money to fund a daily beater (2013 Honda Accord) and this current 2006 AP2 S2000.

Exterior
  • OEM Front Underspoiler
  • OEM.thing Rear Trunk Spoiler
  • Xpel Ultimate Clear Bra (Bumper/Headlights)
  • Forbidden-USA OEM Style Hardtop
  • Forbidden-USA OEM Style Brackets

Interior
  • Alpine CDE-164BT Head Unit
  • Modifry DCI Harness
  • Modifry Glove Box Organizer
  • Modifry Dash Bracket
Performance
  • 63.5mm Berk High Flow Cat
  • Tanabe Medalion Touring Exhaust
  • K&N FIPK Intake
  • Hondata FlashPro (Gernby Tuned)
Suspension/Wheels
  • Tein Flex Coilovers
  • Enkei RPF1 17x9+45
  • Sumitomo HTR-Z III: 255/40/17
Here is how she sits as of 1/27/19:
mrxchris' NFR AP2 S2000-tp8trc5.jpg
The following users liked this post:
S1 S2 (10-14-2017)
Old 01-23-2018, 11:22 AM

First shots of the car:
mrxchris' NFR AP2 S2000-zcnuqzf.jpg

mrxchris' NFR AP2 S2000-b09rmc9.jpg

mrxchris' NFR AP2 S2000-ix2cjwq.jpg

Right after I got the car, there were a couple minor issues and inconveniences that came through the car. The first minor issue was that the dome lights weren't working correctly. The lights were not coming on when I open the door and there was an issue with the switch itself. I pried open the lights and took everything apart to get to the switch's electricals.

mrxchris' NFR AP2 S2000-ewl8ptj.jpg

mrxchris' NFR AP2 S2000-7elyk0b.jpg

mrxchris' NFR AP2 S2000-2zbycmn.jpg

After taking everything apart from the unit, I found the issue with the switch not working. There seemed to be something (plastic??) that prevented the two conductive plates from creating a connection. Whenever the light switched was used, the gold plates from the switch and the pad wouldn't touch so that was why the lights didn't work. After I sanded down the white parts that seeped over to the gold circles, everything worked fine again!!

On a similar vein, I used the opportunity to convert all of the 194 bulbs on the car into white LEDs because JDM!
Old 01-23-2018, 11:24 AM

Next up on the to-do list was to replace the OEM head unit. As much as I wanted to keep everything stock, I could not survive cruising around listening to radio. The stock radio didn't even have a tape player so I couldn't use the cassette-aux conversion!! One of the main requirements for a replacement head unit that I had was that the LIGHTS HAD TO BE ORANGE. Nothing would bother me more than having a blue led head-unit while the rest of the lights in the car was orange... Another requirement I had was that it had to be able to maintain the dash control buttons on the side of the steering wheel. Having the volume button, source and track adjustments on the side of the steering wheel was too valuable for to me maintain and the new unit had to be able to be compatible with the stock wiring. Luckily, after searching S2Ki, I was able to find the Modifry DCI harness that would make retaining the stock controls a lot easier. I ended up buying the Alpine CDE-HD149BT (later swapped to the Alpine CDE-HD164BT a couple weeks later due to a cheap deal I found).

mrxchris' NFR AP2 S2000-zkraoey.jpg

mrxchris' NFR AP2 S2000-7qgd4n2.jpg

mrxchris' NFR AP2 S2000-14u6vny.jpg

mrxchris' NFR AP2 S2000-tjkqc2d.jpg

mrxchris' NFR AP2 S2000-oq73bzb.jpg

With just a head unit replacement, the audio quality increased by a little bit, which is quite impressive considering how poor the speakers that come with the car are. I'll eventually swap those out and maybe add an amplifier just to bring some life to the audio. All in all, I am very satisfied with the upgrade! The bluetooth connection is quick and the audio quality has improved which is all I could really ask for in a head unit. A quick DIY for a Saturday morning was quite successful!
Old 01-23-2018, 11:48 AM

For an 11 year old car, the exterior was in excellent condition since it has been garage parked all of its life. Of course there are minor rock chips and a couple minor dents, nothing was too noticeable or extraordinary. The car came completely stock and the first thing I bought was an OEM front lip and rear spoiler for the trunk. I feel like these two minor mods complete the car more and make it look a lot better. I decided on the OEM lip over the CR lip because I felt like the OEM lip flowed a little bit better than the CR lip - which was a bit more on the aggressive side. For the trunk spoiler, I purchased mine off of an eBay seller named "oem.thing." It is a Taiwanese replica but the fitment and paint match is on point! I've read reviews and compared pictures from many different owners and it was a consensus that the replica would be 99% identical to the OEM spoiler for about a quarter of the price. After receiving and installing it, I can safely say that the it was 100% worth (and I can't say that often with replica kits...)!!

After installing the front lip, I brought the car to a local detailing shop for them to clear bra wrap the front bumper. I wanted to do this to preserve the bumper and lip from any rock chips or unpreventable damage that can come from daily driving. They hooked me up with a great price and even threw in a minor headlight restoration and wrap to prevent headlight hazing! The bra is not even noticeable, the headlights look brand new and the car is well protected now =)

mrxchris' NFR AP2 S2000-qcae31e.jpg

mrxchris' NFR AP2 S2000-ciltc1g.jpg

mrxchris' NFR AP2 S2000-hi8z4nr.jpg

mrxchris' NFR AP2 S2000-fwsbrrx.jpg
The following users liked this post:
S2KRIO (11-29-2021)
Old 01-23-2018, 11:50 AM

The car was bought in mechanically tip-top shape along with every single maintenance record that came with the car. The previous owners have been meticulous with the car - saving every receipt and every record for it. I even have the original window sticker from the first car sale! Even so, I wanted to get a baseline for the car since I plan to own it for awhile. To do so, I brought the car to Ballade Sports to flush out and change the fluids in the car. Brake fluid flushed and replaced, transmission fluid flushed and replaced, coolant flushed and replaced, oil flushed and replaced. In addition, I replaced both the cabin and air filter. Knowing exactly when certain parts were replaced will allow me to maintain the maintenance better and also have the peace of mind knowing that it has been done accordingly.

mrxchris' NFR AP2 S2000-wkmtmag.jpg

mrxchris' NFR AP2 S2000-fhqmpz0.jpg

mrxchris' NFR AP2 S2000-ksdjtch.jpg
Old 01-23-2018, 12:24 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

nice photos man!
Old 01-23-2018, 04:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great! What part of Cali are you from? I wish I held out for a NFR AP2.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by jaor.s2k
nice photos man!
Thank you!

Originally Posted by vemo88
Looks great! What part of Cali are you from? I wish I held out for a NFR AP2.
Thanks, I'm from Southern California near Disneyland!
Old 01-28-2018, 11:23 AM

Coming soon....

mrxchris' NFR AP2 S2000-mcxkqc8.jpg

mrxchris' NFR AP2 S2000-emm5tct.jpg

mrxchris' NFR AP2 S2000-7ozqd7z.jpg
Old 01-29-2018, 09:24 AM
Community Organizer

Received 217 Likes on 138 Posts

Nice car man! Love the photos too!

Quick Reply: mrxchris' NFR AP2 S2000