Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

mstr2's NFR log

Old 10-30-2013, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mstr2's NFR log

Hey guys, I'm new to the forums and finally got my S2000 to mod and build how I want it so I've decided to start a thread to keep track of everything I do to it, and hopefully get feedback from you guys as well

My join date may be back from '08, but at that time I was only speculating and really unable to afford an S2K. At the time I owned a turbo MR2, hence my username, but sold that and have owned a number of boring and uninteresting cars since then. Fast-forward to 2013 and having finished college, joined the military, and settled in, I finally had the funds to buy my dream car. As cliche as it is, I've wanted one ever since I saw the first Fast&Furious movie (cringeworthy I know) back when I was like 13 years old, so finally having one is kind of a dream come true for me!

So, onto the car. After searching for months I picked up a 2004 NFR with only 59xxx miles and in absolutely fantastic condition. It's been garage kept as long as the previous owner has had it, and it's compltely bone stock with the exception of a stereo and car alarm.

And here she is, with the bug guts still fresh from the drive back after picking her up:

I should note that the S2K will not be my daily driver, and will sleep safely in the garage when I'm not driving it. For my daily I have a beat up '99 Honda CRV with 150xxx miles, but it runs like a champ and has the utility space the S2K is lacking.

My future plans include a moderate turbo built for street/occasional track driving. But with my finances as they are now, and my busy schedule, mods will probably come slowly.

I figured a good place to start for my S2K would be a good sporty exhaust. Coming from Virginia, a state with very strict enforcement of exhaust laws, to Oklahoma, which has practically no laws against loud/modified exhuasts, I wanted to get something very aggressive. Since performance is important to me and of course will be important later down the road when I get to my plans of Forced Induction, a high-flow cat was a must, and for that I got the Berk high-flow cat:

After a lot of debating, and despite warnings that it is way too loud, I decided on the Invidia N1 dual exhaust. It got here fast and I gotta say it is absolutely beautiful. I'm loving the titanium tips:

My first day off after receiving it I went ahead and installed it. The install was simple, only took me and a friend about 3 hours overall. The hardest part, and certainly the most time consuming was getting the stock AP2 exhaust off the rubber hangers. But eventually I got everything off, and even managed to do so without stripping any bolts, a miracle in itself. I was a little thrown off by the way the catalytic converter fits on the 'hub' of the header but the fitment of the Berk was spot-on, as was the Invidia N1.
So here's a few shots of it all finished, and some before and after comparison:

Overall I'm very pleased. I LOVE the way it sounds, very deep and throaty growl, but they weren't lying when they said it was loud. That thing would probably wake the neighbors 2 houses down, but I guess that's payback for their screaming kids and yapping dogs all night
Also so far, I have not had a CEL come on so the O2 sensor is working fine with the Berk cat!

I'm still deciding what's in store next, but I'm thinking I'm in need of some coilovers and some new shoes...
Old 10-30-2013, 08:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on finally being able to get your dream car! It sounds like you worked hard to be able to attain one. Also, it's cool that your DD is red, too. Are those TSX wheels on it? They look good.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bizhan
Congrats on finally being able to get your dream car! It sounds like you worked hard to be able to attain one. Also, it's cool that your DD is red, too. Are those TSX wheels on it? They look good.
Thanks man. Yup those are TSX wheels and it's lowered a little too. That was all done by the previous owner though, I have no plans for the DD besides routine maintenance.