Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II

Old 10-07-2012, 10:55 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Minty clean. Congrats
Old 10-07-2012, 01:32 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I got a really cheap cabin filter on Amazon, and it's worked great.
It's scarey how dirty my original one was.

OEM Part number = 79831-S2A-003
On Amazon, less than half the price:
Amazon Amazon
Old 10-07-2012, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by andrewhake
After the chance run=in with the Cayman S, I met up with Casey in his yellow AP2 with CR suspension goodies, and the usual engine bolt-ons (intake, header, exhaust) and some grippy 140 treadwear Federal 595RSRs, and I followed as he paced me through many different roads. Definitely the best way to learn the car. Following a similar car with the same gearing and brakes, with a good driver leading the way but not ever leaving you behind. Casey would definitely pull ahead in many low speed corners (anyone who has ever driven Alpine road with him will know why!) but I felt I was able to match him under braking in most cases. As soon as we get on a road he is more familiar with though it is much harder to keep up. We started the night off with my following on a road I know very well and he has driven very little, so it was a great way to pace the lead car and keep me from getting in to trouble. Don't be surprised if you see a yellow and silver S2000 duo out doing their thing in the mountains from now on.
Last night was a really great night. We did the west side of Highway 9 all the way to boulder creek. Then took Highway 236 through Big Basin snaking back up to Highway 9. Right as we took a break at the Highway 9 and Highway 236 intersection, we ran into a group of local skilled drivers (Mitsubishi Evo, Mazda Miata, and two Nissan 240s). We chased them back up Highway 9 headed East to Highway 35. Then took Highway 35 North towards Highway 84 for a East-bound Highway 84 cool-down.

I can say my initial co-driving impressions of rolling with Andrew are leaving me incredibly impressed. After ten years of carving the same mountain roads, I've grown a sixth sense for identifying the skill and comfort level of the driver I am following or leading. Andrew kept pace with me for miles and miles on some very difficult and technical roads. Amazing to see an s2000 owner in his first week of ownership do as well as he did considering the pace we held. Having only driven Highway 9 coast-side and Highway 236 a handful of times (I tend to stick to the more Northern Santa Cruz Mountain roads), I was literally driving blind (in the dark). The concentration level was intense. I always feel an obligation to be a "good leader" in these circumstances, and the pressure is doubled when someone is keeping up in their brand new dream car for hours on end.

What is most respectable and impressive about Andrew's command of his new car is his ability to drive safely within his limit. Many people report several "close-calls" after following me through numerous legs of a touge battle, but this was not the case in our little tandem exploit. It was nothing but controlled spirited driving, with no nightmares, close-calls, or sketch moments (just the way it should be). On familiar roads, during a little battle with a 240, Andrew paced himself accordingly. In a situation like this, I would have been worried if he was trying to pace us, since the pace was plain silly. As if it could raise any higher, my respect and appreciation for Andrew as a friend and co-driver elevated a few more notches after last night.

Until the next time and very respectfully,

Alpine Speed Stars
Old 10-07-2012, 02:02 PM
Community Organizer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrats dude...look forward to your mods!
Old 10-07-2012, 07:41 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by DR34M
Congrats on the pickup I saved up for 4 years and passed on a few opportunities before finally finding my dream '08 BB

Regarding the oil filters, I would stick with the OEM ones. I was in the same boat when I was about to do my oil change and read a lot of threads that talked about different oil filters. Everyone seemed to prefer the blue OEM ones so I stuck with that. I bought a set of 6 from HandAaccessories.com along with the oil drain plug washers.

Where did you pick up the service manual btw? Been meaning to get one EDIT: found one on eBay that includes the electrical troubleshooting guide for $100 shipped.. good deal?
Yep already ordered up some OEM toyo roki filters. The service manual you can buy from www.helminc.com, HELM is the company contracted by Honda to make the manuals, and it is like $65 or so, without the electrical guide, which I don't think I will really need. If you can find a used one it may be cheaper, but $65 is not bad really for what you get.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by eklipz98
Last night was a really great night. We did the west side of Highway 9 all the way to boulder creek. Then took Highway 236 through Big Basin snaking back up to Highway 9. Right as we took a break at the Highway 9 and Highway 236 intersection, we ran into a group of local skilled drivers (Mitsubishi Evo, Mazda Miata, and two Nissan 240s). We chased them back up Highway 9 headed East to Highway 35. Then took Highway 35 North towards Highway 84 for a East-bound Highway 84 cool-down.

I can say my initial co-driving impressions of rolling with Andrew are leaving me incredibly impressed. After ten years of carving the same mountain roads, I've grown a sixth sense for identifying the skill and comfort level of the driver I am following or leading. Andrew kept pace with me for miles and miles on some very difficult and technical roads. Amazing to see an s2000 owner in his first week of ownership do as well as he did considering the pace we held. Having only driven Highway 9 coast-side and Highway 236 a handful of times (I tend to stick to the more Northern Santa Cruz Mountain roads), I was literally driving blind (in the dark). The concentration level was intense. I always feel an obligation to be a "good leader" in these circumstances, and the pressure is doubled when someone is keeping up in their brand new dream car for hours on end.

What is most respectable and impressive about Andrew's command of his new car is his ability to drive safely within his limit. Many people report several "close-calls" after following me through numerous legs of a touge battle, but this was not the case in our little tandem exploit. It was nothing but controlled spirited driving, with no nightmares, close-calls, or sketch moments (just the way it should be). On familiar roads, during a little battle with a 240, Andrew paced himself accordingly. In a situation like this, I would have been worried if he was trying to pace us, since the pace was plain silly. As if it could raise any higher, my respect and appreciation for Andrew as a friend and co-driver elevated a few more notches after last night.

Until the next time and very respectfully,

Alpine Speed Stars
Old 10-07-2012, 07:52 PM

Today, shit got real...

Video coming soon.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:30 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Clean and tidy.....
Old 10-08-2012, 03:37 AM

This morning I used my cyborg eye to film a nice calm drive down a nice steep road..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKEtPP1WbUg
The following users liked this post:
ynottc (02-01-2020)
Old 10-08-2012, 08:16 AM

Crazy angles!!!!

Quick Reply: o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II