Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II

Old 10-08-2012, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that looks like such a fun road

congrats on the pick up!
Old 10-08-2012, 05:48 PM

i wish we had roads like that up here. great pick up! welcome to the s2000 world
Old 10-09-2012, 01:44 AM

what exit do u take to get on that road? i drove on that road couple of years back, if i'm coming from east bay do i have to cross the Golden Gate bridge? what exit? Thanks

Hipopkboy
Old 10-09-2012, 09:30 AM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

So I spent a few hours last night sorting some things out with the stereo. I started by removing the fuse that was mounted in the engine bay and connected to the battery. Just ziptied up so simple to remove. It was run across the engine bay to the drivers side firewall hole, and down along the side garnish panels under the carpet, up and behind the driver and passenger to the passenger side of the trunk, where there was another aftermarket ground wired connected to the body, and some plenty of zipties to remove along the way..

The S2000 is so easy to work on!! I have worked on many different Hondas over the years, and why they are all very straight forward, this is by far the simplest, all the same simple screws and clips, but designed in a way that requires even less screws but is still very secure. I didn't damage a single clip, and found that I am missing one the passenger side floor garnish that I now am aware of.

The main goal here was just removing the large fuse that was mounted in the engine bay, and this is what I ended up removing:

Wiring that was run from the head unit to the amp/sub that used to be in the car and was simply cut at the trunk by the previous owner when the sub was removed, Sirius satellite radio modules and interfaces, antennas and cables that I will never use, and a sirius antenna that was mounted to the dash and removed without a trace left. Luckily whoever did the initial install did a pretty clean job really, everything was neatly zip tied up and it doesn't look like anything was horribly spliced into or cut. There has to be 3-4 lbs of crap that I would never use in this pile..

And I found a McDonald's monopoly peel off in the card holder part of the radio lid. (.001g? maybe)

The best part about this process was learning that I already have a USB cable wired up to go into the center console so I can easily charge my phone and play music from it, which is the only way I will be listening to music in the car, I just don't listen to any radio period, even though it looks like that should all work normally as well. The USB cable had just fallen back into the hole that was neatly drilled into the back of the center console pocket, anyone know of a good gasket/grommet I can put into that hole to keep it sealed up a bit? I suppose I can ask the stereo shop if they have something.

The one remaining problem is that while the head unit is clearly working and charging the phone as it should, and can be controlled by the dash controls as a DCI box was spliced into the aftermarket head unit harness, but it isn't outputting any sound to the speakers. It looks like I will need to have a stereo shop take a look at sorting out the main stereo harness for me, but no major crisis, it looks like it should be pretty straight forward, just not something I want to take the time to mess with.

Sorry for the crappy photos, but just thought I would share, super happy I pulled all the extraneous crap out of there on my quest for OEM zen. It got me past that, I just bought this car I don't want to mess anything up stage, and I know how easy the car is to take apart and put back together, really is the best car in the world!
Old 10-09-2012, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by hipopkboy
what exit do u take to get on that road? i drove on that road couple of years back, if i'm coming from east bay do i have to cross the Golden Gate bridge? what exit? Thanks

Hipopkboy
http://goo.gl/maps/kgsjO
Old 10-12-2012, 12:42 AM

Stereo all sorted after hardly any work. As I mentioned I spent a few hours pulling any extraneous wiring and Sirius components, and today stopped by All Pro Audio for about 15-20 minutes and they reworked my stereo harness on the spot for $50. Technician knew the S2000 very well, hardly had to explain anything and he went to work and had it outputting sound correctly in no time. He also helped me identify the aftermarket speakers in my doors as JL Audio or Focal without removing the door panels, not certain on that but I don't care what they are, they sound fine and keep me entertained on the way to the mountains.

The head unit I am using is the Alpine CDA-117, can't really say anything bad about it really. This all worked out quite nicely considering I got about a $1000 discount on the car since the stereo wasn't working correctly when I purchased it.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:00 PM

Factory service manual arrived from HELMS and picked up a FlashPro from a local bay area member for a good price! (thanks again Kaan)

I won't be using the FlashPro any time soon, as I already mentioned I plan to drive the car for quite some time before making any modifications, but I have many things in mind for the future once I fully understand the car. If you have ever seen me drive a rental car you will understand why road knowledge and driving skill are way more important than any modification you can make to a car.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:36 PM

Photo my friend Alexey took last night/early this morning.

Nobody photographs a car at night as well as this man! | http://www.flickr.com/photos/alexeyorlov/
Old 10-13-2012, 09:45 PM
Former Moderator

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

^ awesome pic
Old 10-15-2012, 12:24 AM

Last Friday while we were waiting for a friends car to get towed (odd random engine trouble) things got.. a bit weird..

My car lit by a LED light panel inside someones green hoodie. Almost an exact match to JDM Honda Lime Green:

Quick Reply: o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II