Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Pretty much stock...I think. Her name is Berlina

Old 05-06-2017, 01:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Pretty much stock...I think. Her name is Berlina

So this is my moderate "build" thread if you want to call it that. Anyway, I've had a lot of neat cars over the years. I live in Indiana so finding rust free ones is impossible.
Here are some pics of the cars I've owned & sometimes modified

First Subaru. First stick shift. Did a lot of rallycross in this one! Was a sweet car

First Miata I got for very cheap! Also did a lot of rallycross & loads of burnouts.

A 99 Subaru RS I did a version 7 JDM STi engine swap in. Crazy fast car! But started to rust bad & always had boost leaks. Looked neat!

$500 Impreza a friend & I bought to rallycross. Ended up scrapping it a year later for $500

2006 WRX aka "The Nightmare". Every single time I drove it, a problem occurred. From a bent valve leading to head work to a torn throttle wire that took almost 2 months to find. The first time I took it out of town after fixed all of the issues, I slid on black ice across a bridge slamming into a guardrail. After getting it repaired, it had to go. The story doesn't end there. About 7 months after it sold, the owner texted me saying the engine threw a rod. This car is cursed.

This was one of my favorite cars I've ever owned. A 91 FC n/a. Drove it for almost 2 years as a backup for my Subaru's. Funny when the 16 year old rotary is more reliable than a 9 year old Subaru

This was a car I regret doing. I should have fixed the rust instead of turbocharging it. Thing rusted out so bad.

A winter beater I had for 2 winters.

And lastly my NB Miata that funded my S2000 purchase. It was in 10/10 condition & did a lot of autocrossing in!

So anyway, about 8 years ago, we had a beautiful laguna blue AP2 we were selling for a friend at our car lot. The second I saw it, I thought it was the fastest car in the world. I would always sit inside of it in our showroom. I had no idea what a stick shift was at the time either. Ever since then, I thought they were such timeless & awesome cars. After owning 4 different Miatas & many other cars, I finally came across a fantastic deal on this 2003 in Texas! I've shipped many cars so it wasn't a problem getting it here. The second it arrived on that truck, I fell in love. The push button start, that gauge cluster, seating position, the simplicity & the drive! I've never driven a car like this ever before.
The car needs a few minor things but checks all of the appropriate boxes. It has a stack of maintenance items, receipts & a nice little photo book of the pictures the previous owner took of it's journey's. Which will get even more filled with my pictures. The previous owner bought it at 60k miles. It now has 132k miles. He did the complete clutch kit a few years ago, a new Robbins top last year, o2 sensors, brake master cyl, new windshield & some other small items.
It also has some nice upgrades such as a Berk test pipe, UK exhaust mod, braided brake lines, AP2 V1 wheels & window tint.
I have some moderate plans for the car to make it even better.
-The starter needs replaced! It's left me stranded twice now. After hitting it a few times, works fine but grinds a bit. I bought a replacement, just have to install it. Not a fun job
-Plan on having a valve adjustment - I do have receipts for the last time it was done at 80k
-Might need new rear struts - looks like the original ones have a slight leak
-Needs new lug nuts - originals are disgusting
-The driver upper seat bolster has a slight rip on the left side. That needs to be addressed sooner than later
-Front bumper needs some touchup paint
-Could use an alignment. Front tires have some very slight uneven tread wear
-Hood lift strut kit thing - makes a world of a difference!
-15mm wheel spacers all around - maybe
-Wheels could use a refurb

When I got the car it was actually in very clean shape. It didn't need a major work. Looks like it's been very well kept. But, every car could use a good paint correction. So, that's the first thing I did! After about 5 hours, it came out even better! Blew me away

My dog loves top down rides!!

Gave the engine a good clean

Threw in my phone mount. What a cockpit!

The day after I purchased this, my dad picked up a 1965 Dodge Polara for himself. The cam in it shakes the entire neighborhood. I love it.

I changed the oil, filter, transmission fluid & diff fluid. Transmission fluid looked like it had just been replaced. But the diff fluid was pretty dirty. Some Honda MTF in the trans & Mobil 1 75w-90 in the rear.
The next thing that needed replaced the intake tube. The original one had 2 huge tears in it.

The rear tires were shot. Had some new BFGoodrich GForce Comp 2's put on to match the front. Great summer tires!

Onto some cheaper mods. Installed some LED taillight, backup light, license plate & interior bulbs. One of the best bang for buck upgrades
LED on left, old on right

Then I took it to it's very first, in my ownership, car meets. Even though there were only 4 cars. Better than staying home however!

The next item was spark plugs & new front brake pads. The rears were back-ordered so they will wait until another day.

Also threw on some new wiper blades

My friend recently pick up a Mini S. We installed some lowering springs on it. Easy job surprisingly!

The next item were the diff mounts. I noticed a clunking when I shifted & accelerated. When I had it on my hoist the 2nd time, I simulated shifting while my dad watched underneath. Sure enough, the diff shook pretty bad. Found 2 of the 4 mounts were bad. So I ordered some Innovative 60A mounts. A step up from stock without the noise you would usually get with stiff mounts. Install on these was pretty simple. The right tools go a long way.
The car drives SO much better now! Shifts are slightly better but it solved the clunking noise & gave the rear end a nice upgrade

Watchdogs

Generation gap

Lastly, I installed some clear side markers.

Attached Thumbnails Pretty much stock...I think. Her name is Berlina-s2k.jpeg  
The following users liked this post:
S1 S2 (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 11:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a lot of pics...

Had the same problem with the intake hose when I picked up my AP1... and a bunch of other stuff...lol

Looking good.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome pick up looks great! And great stories about your previous cars. We have all had tons of cars and projects and I love seeing what led people to where they are!
Old 05-09-2017, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by X2board
That's a lot of pics...

Had the same problem with the intake hose when I picked up my AP1... and a bunch of other stuff...lol

Looking good.
Thanks! I has a few other small things needing touched up. Most I've already went over. For the most part, easy stuff.

Originally Posted by Mdeck
Awesome pick up looks great! And great stories about your previous cars. We have all had tons of cars and projects and I love seeing what led people to where they are!
Thanks! Yes, I love pictures with a story
Old 05-09-2017, 05:17 PM

I bought this at the St. Louis auction for $300..........
Runs & drives just like my first FC! Notice my diy side exit exhaust. Plan on turning into an autocross/have crazy fun car. Not sure if I want to put money into it. So far I have $25 in the exhaust
Old 05-14-2017, 07:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What a way to go out for the ole girl. ha

Hoping to pick up a 3rd Gen FD on the east coast, just to get the time.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:24 PM

There's a reason I put off doing this for so long. It really came down to the top starter bolt. That itself took about 30 minutes to thread back into the trans. Thankfully I'm young & can bend my arms pretty well. Everything else went pretty smooth. But of course, my luck is awful. Whoever installed the top alternator bolt must have been drunk. It was cross threaded & bent. I hung it on my wall in shame. So I had to re-thread the hole & buy a new bolt. Another 30 minute job. I then found out my idler pulley is very noisy. So, a new idler pulley is in order. Gotta love cars!
I am very glad I got it done & over with. I CANNOT believe how loud my old starter was compared to the new.

After the headache of a job, I installed my used strut brace. I like the way these look in engine bays. I also (not pictured) installed new lug nuts. The old ones were so pitted it was embarrassing.

Gave the car a nice detail when it was all said & done. My dogs love the top down

Also took this a couple days ago cruising around
Old 05-23-2017, 09:20 AM

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

Corgi!

Car looks great
Old 05-29-2017, 07:31 AM

Took this car to it's first autocross. Did incredible! Was about 4 seconds behind a track spec S2000. So not too terrible. Started to rain about midway through our runs so I got to see how it does in the wet. Felt almost identical in the dry. Autocross days are always a great time.

I also picked this beautiful thing up for $700!!! 1990 Ford LTD Country Squire wagon with the 5.0 motor. Love it. I'll unfortunately sell the RX7 now though...

Old 05-30-2017, 02:33 PM

Got some hood struts installed today

Pic from the auto-x

Quick Reply: Pretty much stock...I think. Her name is Berlina