Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Project Denise - 07' S2000 (AP2V2) - Spoon Widebody

Old 05-18-2013, 12:40 PM
ej2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project Denise - 07' S2000 (AP2V2) - Spoon Widebody

Hello S2KI! Let’s take a deep breath together, this one is going to be a long one!

I have been a part of the S2KI community for a couple years now but have never formally introduced myself on the general forum so I’ll take a moment to do so now. A handful of you may already know me but my name is Arthur, I am a huge car enthusiast, and I have loved cars (of many makes) ever since high school. I love being hands-on with my cars and I try to do most things myself. I owned a 5-speed 1985 Toyota Camry as my first car and then moved onto the Honda realm and got a 1993 Honda Civic coupe which I played around with during my undergraduate years. I absolutely loved the large aftermarket support and relatively inexpensiveness of modifying and maintaining it. After working for a year once I graduated from University, I committed to pursue a quest to purchase one of my ‘must-have’ cars, a Honda S2000.

Back in high school, a good friend of mine got a job at A&J Racing where I frequented for parts and information. It is funny because my love for the S2000 began when my Civic was in their shop for an engine swap (I felt like I was cheating on my car :ahwow. At the time, the Spoon and J’s Racing S2000s were completed and sitting pretty in front of the shop. I was inspired and this was when I fell in love with not just any S2000, but the Spoon wide-body S2000.

I was originally not going to post this project online but much like how I was inspired at AJR, I feel that sometimes it is nice to immerse ourselves into the community and display some of the hard work we, as car enthusiasts, put into our cars (plus I usually take pictures of everything I do to my cars, so it was pretty easy throwing this together =P). It would bring me much appreciation and gratitude if this build could somehow do the same for some of you; whether it be getting you into S2000s, motivating you to finish an old project, or simply revamping your interest for the automotive scene . This build, therefore, is a project to recreate what I mulled over back then and still, to this day, have been dreaming about. The below is my Project Spoon Widebody S2000.

p.s. The below build thread is essentially a copy and paste from a local automotive car forum I’m on so please forgive me if the wording seems to be a bit out of context!

Side Notes:

Please keep in mind that the progression of this build, by no means, was a quick or an easy one. I think most of you know how dreadful the process can be sometimes (i.e. installation, fitment issues, parts, shipping, wait time, etc.) :badpokerface:. Anyways, she remained stock for quite a bit before I started modifying her and that was partly because I wanted to familiarize with the car in stock form and partly because it takes me a while to save, what I call it, “playing” money :/.

Also, I only drive this car for leisure so the purpose of this project is to simply build an aesthetically pretty car (i.e. to my liking) and to enhance its handling capabilities. This car will primarily be used to cruise around in. The initial stages of the car will, thus, be to enhance its aesthetics, aerodynamics, and suspension system.

p.p.s. I usually name my cars, and so her name is Denise =P

Without further ado, away with the build:

Specs
Year: 2007
Engine: 2.2 I4
Color: Silverstone Metallic (SSM)
Interior: Black...with some red lol

Mid – Late Summer of 2011

I had already been looking for an s2000 for 8 months prior to actually finding the one. I had a strict set of requirements for my S that I needed to follow; this led me to reject all the ones I saw and test drove, which was quite a number of them. Most of them were beat up so it definitely required a lot of patience and diligence from me. Anyways, after looking for 8 months both locally and in the States, I finally found the one - it couldn’t have fit my list of requirements any better.

I contacted the seller the day it was posted up for sale, carfaxed it beforehand, took it for an inspection, all was good and was sold to me! I cannot begin to explain with words alone the feeling of driving her, or any 'new' car for that matter, home that day. Top down, clear blue skies, bright sun to only add to the experience! It's one day I will certainly never forget! The below picture captures the first time I went to the owner's place to look at the car and inspection shortly after.

Finally brought her back home! Denise and a very happy me =D

Washed her inside and out the next day. Also bought a new OEM air filter and changed the engine and diff fluid but I forgot to snap detailed pictures of that kay:.

Transferred my license plate frames and ASIMO Honda doll from my Civic to the S

My friend took a photo with his nice camera. The only modification done to the car from the previous owner were lowering springs (which is why it is so damn low in this picture), red carpeting (I find this interesting without the matching door cards and seats lol), a titanium S2000 CR shift knob, JDM clear side-markers, and a Kenwood deck (Kenwood always reminds me of Jeremy Clarkson’s reference to Kenwood mixers lol).

Didn’t like the yellow engraving on the CR shift knob, took it out, and stained it red.

Clocked over at 50k!

Old 05-18-2013, 12:40 PM
ej2

End of 2011

I bought an exhaust (T1R 70R V3 single) but didn’t install it for a while. Also got a pair of hydraulic hood dampers.

Spring of 2012

Got a Spoon diffuser, installed it with the exhaust, and to fill the empty exhaust outlet, I installed a JDM samurai Doraemon :fullofwin:.

I was supposed to start collecting parts at this point but a lady backed into my front bumper when it was parked (very fortunate she was honest enough to call it in) so I thought it would be a better financial move to get the Spoon S-Tai front bumper while I was at it and hit two birds with one stone. Brought it in to Fastrack Autobody and they did a wonderful job! The paint match was phenomenal!

Performed some more maintenance items: changed the front and rear brake pads and fluid. I used Hawk HPS (which feels exactly like stock) and ATE Super Blue DOT 4.

Summer of 2012

Bought a set of T1R B52 coilovers to use for the time being. I can't tell you how much I love working on newer cars, bolts come out smoothly, I wouldn't have it any other way. Installed!

Then I was really determined to stop installing one-off mods here and there and start collecting parts but, and it’s a BIG but, my friend was looking to sell his Spoon Mooncraft hardtop so I shelled out the cash and bought it from him instantly since I didn’t know when and where the next one would show up. I also installed it since his car was matte Silverstone and it didn’t look too bad on mine. Lastly, I made my own rear brackets for the hardtop because I wanted to retain my soft-top.

With the hatch portion of the hardtop off, it looks a lot like the Mugen hardtop!

Clocked over at 60k!

Fall to the end of Winter, 2012/2013

Sold my AP2V2 wheels and tires, borrowed a friend’s set of AP1 wheels, and got her ready for storage. Check out that hella-sunkness :badpokerface:.

During this period, I stored the S for the winter and handed in my plates and, in return, I got storage insurance .

Remember how I mentioned I was going to collect parts? Well I pulled through and finally started collecting =). I started my collection by buying the Spoon S-Tai wide front fenders (+25mm) with bumper extensions.

Had to find a set of wheels that would fit the Spoon wide-body well. Bought Matt’s Advan RS’ off of his well-known RX7 FD! (17x9 +22 GTR face, non-staggered). These are one of my favorite wheels, plus I was thinking concaved wheels would suit a wide-body well as gracefully demonstrated by said RX7!

Old 05-18-2013, 12:41 PM
ej2

Mounted them on a set of Dunlop (Star Spec) Direzza Sport Z1 (245/40/17, square). Also, painted the sidewall letters with white tire paint since all the cool people seem to be doing it now lol...=P. Not pictured are a set of silver open-ended and extended Blox forged aluminum lug nuts from Evasive and a shortened antenna from Garage Five.

Next was a pair of carbon fiber Downforce side-diffusers. Nicely crafted part!

The only parts off of the Spoon S2000 exterior I dislike are the rear bumper and the rear over-fenders, they're a bit too extreme imo. I do like the ASM rear over-fenders (+25mm) though so I opted for those instead. It makes the car flow better in my opinion. Not pictured is also an OEM seal/moulding from a Toyota Tacoma bought from the dealer to fit between the over-fenders and the rear quarter panels. It was recommended by a friend and it fits perfectly and looks clean! Pictured below is also a glimpse of my growing pile of parts.

Also ordered a Rick’s `S’ Steering Wheel Badge

Spring, 2013

After an excruciating season without her, I finally took her out of storage and insured her a few weeks ago, but of course I couldn’t drive her still kay:, straight to work and into the body shops she goes! Brought her to see Curtis at Speed Syndicate early March, 2013 for the rear-over fender install (consisted of: cut rear quarter panels, tack weld, seam seal, riv-nuts, and rust prevention), they also shaved the inner lip of the over-fenders to provide a bit more clearance, and wheel fitment of course.

Wheel/tire mock up. Before buying the wheels and tires, I did a lot of research online and consulted local S2000 experts regarding my setup and potential wheel and tire sizes for the wide-body fitment. At this point, I've had all the parts collected for quite some time now so even though much thought was put into it and I was relatively confident that it would fit flush, there was always that little bit of uncertainty as some of you might understand. This was the first time I was going to actually see how the rear fits and find out whether the wheels were too aggressive or not. Finally had my first look with the wheels on! They looked aggressive at first but I knew after a proper alignment, it would fit well *insert sigh of relief!*. Plus, with my ideal ride height, it would offset any potential rubbing issues. Now there was only the front fitment to worry about, but not for long. Felt like I had my own pit crew here =P.

After a couple of days, I got her back from Speed and started to work on her almost right away again. I installed and fitted the Spoon front fenders and trimmed the OEM fender liners as required. Since the wheels and fenders were coming off anyways, might as well clean up everything in there right? Since I’m anal about my cars, I also washed/ scrubbed the fender wells and sprayed a couple layers of rubberized coating/ rust prevention. Cleaned up the OEM fenders and stored them away.

Into Fastrack for paint the next day!

Old 05-18-2013, 12:43 PM
ej2

She was there for a good 3 weeks and got her back today (March 28th, 2013) but I still had a boat load of work to do.

Washed/scrubbed the rear wheel wells and prepped it for rubberized guard, same deal as the front.

Also did the same thing for the undercarriage rails.

Installed the Downforce side-diffusers. Lots of 3M double sided tape and self-tapping screws.

`S’ Badges on! Apparently I installed the exterior ones upside down lmao, I still don't see it but I guess I'll fix them anyways =S.

Wheels are on! There is a bit of poke in the front wheels but they fit for the most part! Like the rears, they will fit much better after an alignment. I’m definitely not looking to slam it at all. I want there to be a good amount of clearance, don’t want to be scraping. Will have to dial in more negative camber when I go in for an alignment, especially for the fronts!

You can see the aforementioned Tacoma moulding/seal in between the quarter panel and the over-fender. Also, installed the short antenna!

And there you have it! She is all done...for now!

Next steps:

- Alignment
- Enjoy driving the car, damn it!
- Cut samurai Doraemon off, lol
- Detail after paint fully cures
- GT wing
- Hondata FlashPro
- BBK (StopTech 355mm kit perhaps?)
- Hard Dog roll bar
- Stiffer front sway bar
- Upgrade coilovers

Stay tuned for proper photo shoot pics!

If you made it this far and read everything, yay for you haha! I hope you guys enjoyed the progress thus far!

Cheers,
Arthur
Old 05-18-2013, 12:46 PM
ej2

A couple pictures from last summer with the S2Ki Vancouver group!

Also for your enjoyment: Worked a lot on a friend’s car when mine was in the shop for the month. Lent him my front wheels since his wheels wouldn’t clear his front BBK without a 10mm spacer =P. His car is actually wider than mine (via bodywork) but he choose to retain the OEM look.

V-mount turbo AP2 with ASM front, widened OEM body, and making almost 400 HP!

March 29, 2013

Anyways, back to Denise!

In the below photo, you can see that my front wheels are poking out of the front fenders. They basically have no negative camber yet but I wanted to shave down the inner lip of the Spoon fenders for extra clearance in preparation for alignment. Because of my ride height and the stiffness of my coilovers, I’m not rubbing but I have been taking extreme care when driving her (e.g. paying attention to pavement conditions), trying my best to not drive her too far or aggressively without an alignment.

Taking advantage of the beautiful weather and the long weekend to do more work on her! Shaving the inner lips with a friend!

First fill up of the year!

March 30, 2013

Another beautiful day today! Went to a FR-S meet with some S2Ki buddies!

My favorite shot to date!

Cheers,
Arthur
Old 05-18-2013, 12:47 PM
ej2

March 31, 2013

Day 3 of the long weekend and another day for our beautiful weather streak! Brought Denise in to see a close friend of mine for detailing. He worked on specific parts of the car, making sure none of the new paint was affected. The work he does is nothing short of amazing, a real car guy and is meticulous at his work, which is why he is the only person allowed to touch my paint =P.

After he worked his magic on the tail lights!

Cheers,
Arthur
Old 05-18-2013, 12:49 PM
ej2

Attended a local meet! Some shots a member took!

Cheers,
Arthur
Old 05-18-2013, 12:49 PM
ej2

April 1, 2013

Day 4 of the long weekend and still loving the weather and definitely taking advantage of it!

Worked on a friend's car for most of the day; replacing his transmission. We had to stop by Crappy Tire for a tool we were missing and he convinced me to take off Denise's top (such a perv) for the ride there. I haven't driven her top-down since last summer so it was refreshing and definitely not a bad thing at all when paired with today's weather! She looked so naked without the hardtop or a wing though!

Cheers,
Arthur
Old 05-18-2013, 12:50 PM
ej2

May 17th, 2013

Teaser Update:

J's Racing Type II GT wing, double-deck, 1650mm on 295mm stands.

Will have proper shots up soon!

Cheers,
Arthur
Old 05-18-2013, 12:51 PM
ej2

As promised!

Dat height!

Cheers,
Arthur

Quick Reply: Project Denise - 07' S2000 (AP2V2) - Spoon Widebody