Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

The rescue project.

Old 03-25-2016, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The rescue project.

Hello all! Well this will be the start of my build thread to keep track of the progression with my 2005 AP2. Let me give you all the back story.

So middle of February I decided it was time to move on from the EP3 I built and that an AP2 would be perfect since I just relocated to SoCal a couple years ago. With that being said I began my hunt for a AP2 with reasonably low miles near stock in in good condition. It was at this time I came across my AP2. I drove 1.5 hours north to check it out with cash in hand and saw it was completely stock besides a crappy j's replica front bumper with 62,000 miles on it. Did the compression check came out to 240 across all cylinders. Checked each thing the buyers guide thread on this forum said to check went underneath and after I was doing checking it over it was time for the test drive. Everything worked flawlessly and was beautiful (besides the front bumper). So I sat down with the sales man and made the deal for 22,500 bucks.

The first three days of ownership was great I bought a brand new oem bumper, grill, license plate mount, hardware, and a oem ap2 lip the second day. On the fourth day things started going south. A cel came on and it was the dread misfire. Cylinders 1,2,3,4. So I decided to go basic. Changed the oil replaced the spark plugs with ngk laser iridium changed the air filter and things seemed to be back on track. The sixth day it came back and I did a valve adjustment with no avail. I didn't have any known good coilpacks so I replaced all four with brand new OEM ones. That didn't work. I checked the fuel injectors and they were in terrible shape. So again I went to Honda and bought 4 new oem injectors and decided to do the fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator at the same time. Again no avail. So then on startup it started stumbling really low at 500 RPM's and after a couple seconds it would normalize. So I was back at the drawing board researching. Then it over heated on me by 2 bars so I shut it off and got it home. I decided to replace the thermostat fan switch and rad cap with some spoon goodies. Then I found a video on YouTube of someone with the same issue and it was his head gasket. Next day it started spitting out white smoke and I saw the oil was a bit milky. Did the compression test again and it was still 240 across all cylinders. So I decided to go ahead and just change the head gasket anyways. I'll let the pictures do the talking but now I finally have the oem bumper in for paint and everything is back on track. I guess I can at least be happy that everything that could cause a misfire is replaced.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:45 PM

Old 03-25-2016, 04:52 PM

Old 03-25-2016, 04:55 PM

I wish I had more pictures of everything that was done but this is all have. Needless to say everything was thoroughly checked during the head gasket replacement and everything checked out ok. But again on the bright side now I know the car is 100% up to par and the new front bumper assembly is finally being painted and put together.
Old 03-26-2016, 05:36 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

Glad to know all is well!

$57 head gasket and a couple of hours labor did the trick?

With the other fresh parts it appears you're good to go for several years.

Brake fluid is a 3-year maintenance interval regardless of mileage. Mine was changed 20 months ago so I have another year. If you did the other work this will be dirt simple for you. Same with coolant which is 10 years or 120,000 miles. PITA to bleed the coolant system but it's time for that too

Are you going to show us photos of the spoilers being installed? (That's a request! ) I have the OEM front unit to install once I get rid of all the stone chips on the bumper. I have an aftermarket rear spoiler 'cuz I refuse to drill holes in the trunk lid for the OEM version

-- Chuck
Old 03-26-2016, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Glad to know all is well!

$57 head gasket and a couple of hours labor did the trick?

With the other fresh parts it appears you're good to go for several years.

Brake fluid is a 3-year maintenance interval regardless of mileage. Mine was changed 20 months ago so I have another year. If you did the other work this will be dirt simple for you. Same with coolant which is 10 years or 120,000 miles. PITA to bleed the coolant system but it's time for that too

Are you going to show us photos of the spoilers being installed? (That's a request! ) I have the OEM front unit to install once I get rid of all the stone chips on the bumper. I have an aftermarket rear spoiler 'cuz I refuse to drill holes in the trunk lid for the OEM version

-- Chuck
Absolutely right man. Brake fluid and coolant has already been flushed with oem fluids. Did the tranny and diff as well. Today's mission is going to Honda to order some a couple clips that are broken for the bumper and the oem trunk lip.

With everything replaced and services on the car it should last long enough for me to get ready to do a little motor work here and there
Old 03-30-2016, 07:10 PM

Should have some updates sometime between tomorrow and Sunday. The car will be recieving a few cosmetic upgrades it desperately needs
Old 03-31-2016, 06:42 PM

Well now that everything is running good I decided to have my new oem bumper painted and ordered up a new in box oem lip and oem trunk lip. I just finished up installing everything with new oem hardware.

Old bumper that came with the car removed.

In progress of assembling the oem front end.

Assembled.

On the car.

Then I moved to the back of the car. Here's the scary part. All exposed metal had five coats of oem touch up painted applied.

Installed.

That's all for now. I'm still debating on getting the oem side stakes or not. Next up will be some black oem four piece floor mats then it'll be saving time for some proper wheels and tires.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:41 PM

Was this the car in Concord, CA? It looks familiar!
Old 03-31-2016, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by jdmwol2ks
Was this the car in Concord, CA? It looks familiar!
I'd have to check my records on it. I bought it from a dealership up near la.

Quick Reply: The rescue project.