Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Ricky's semi-legitimate, kinda dumb build thread.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:24 AM
Community Organizer

Received 212 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Zer0ne
Love this car
Originally Posted by jst2878
Looks great Ricky Bobby
Thanks guys!

Originally Posted by HammerBro129
Questions about the brake set-up...

What size are the pistons in the caliper?

Is the kit going to be offered and if so when?

Thanks,
Brook
Hey Brook.

We just finished up the final design process and are in our production run of caliper brackets and rotor hats, so the kit SHOULD go on sale late June. Price will be under $1900 shipped, and will include everything you need excluding pads. Pad shape is DR22, or Wilwood Superlite 7420 pad shape. It's a 20mm pad, although 16mm pads can be used. In my testing, pad life has been remarkable. In 5 track days, I've lost less than 3mm of pad material. I don't run any kind of brake ducts, and this includes ~5000 miles of street driving as well.

Piston sizing is as follows:

Piston 1: 34mm
Piston 2: 40mm
Piston area: 2164.56 mm²

Rotor size is 328mmx28mm, and is a fully-floating design. Caliper weight, unloaded, is 5.5 pounds.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
The following users liked this post:
Spoon Fed (06-15-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 03:34 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for getting back to me. Its great you are seeing that little of pad wear. I am going through 2-3 sets of pads in a weekend at this new track I am running.
I do have a couple more questions.

So this is similar to the standard trophy kit just with a better caliper. Can you not use the same rotor they spec with that kit or does the caliper mounting require a different hat offset?
Would you be willing to just sell the bracket and rotor?

Thanks again,
Brook
Old 06-15-2018, 03:51 AM

Received 193 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_

Oooof! This shot shows off every body line of the S2000 that I'm in love with. As well as showing off the "tub".
Old 06-15-2018, 04:07 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoon Fed
Oooof! This shot shows off every body line of the S2000 that I'm in love with. As well as showing off the "tub".
Yes! This is one of my absolute favorite pictures of Ricky's car.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:49 AM

Received 189 Likes on 116 Posts

That really is a good picture!

The BBK sounds really nice. Looking forward to seeing the final kit. This just may be the kit for me...
Ricky_Flowers_ (06-25-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 09:33 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by HammerBro129
Thanks for getting back to me. Its great you are seeing that little of pad wear. I am going through 2-3 sets of pads in a weekend at this new track I am running.
I do have a couple more questions.

So this is similar to the standard trophy kit just with a better caliper. Can you not use the same rotor they spec with that kit or does the caliper mounting require a different hat offset?
Would you be willing to just sell the bracket and rotor?

Thanks again,
Brook
Not a problem Brook, I love answering these kinds of questions!

The kit is very similar to a standard trophy kit, with a number of key changes. In regards to the rotor, yes you can use the exact same rotor from the STR-40 kit. As a matter of fact, that's what I've been using on my car during this testing process. You can see the gold anodized Stoptech hats in a number of my photos. However, this hat and rotor combination isn't ideal for use with this caliper. The pad shape for the STR-43 is completely different than the one used in the ST-40 and STR-40 kits. The pad, although thicker and greater in total volume, is actually physically shorter in height than the ST-40 pad. This necessitated a rotor that had an inner diameter greater than the Stoptech rotor, in order to drop weight and fully utilize the pad. One of the reasons we decided on the STR-43 is because it uses an ancient pad shape first created to service the Wilwood Bridgebolt Superlite calipers beginning in the 90s, so there's a ton of pad options for it and the rotor rings already exist, which was instrumental in keeping development and consumable costs down. The rotors are directionally vaned, slotted rotors made by the same people that make Stoptech's rotor rings for them, so they're high in quality. Also, because we're buying an old design product directly from the manufacturer, the replacement costs for these rings will be low, in the $100 range. That's considerably cheaper than an ST40 rotor ring.

So, to answer the second part of your question, I suppose we could sell you just the bracket and the rotor, but the bracket is totally different than the ST40/STR40 bracket (the stud spacing is completely different than on the STR43) but it would do you no good. The caliper, caliper bracket, rotor, and hat are totally different than a trophy kit, but the rotor offset is identical so you could use a Trophy rotor if needed, although it isn't something I'd recommend.

Hope that helps!
Old 06-24-2018, 10:06 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I cannot wait for this brake kit to come out! I hope to be one of the first few in line!. This is a stretch, but is there an option to have the stoptech lettering on the caliper done in black instead of red? Thanks again so much for putting in all the time and effort that goes into bringing a product like this to reality. Its still great to know that companies still back an out of production car such as the s2000.

-Carlo
Old 06-25-2018, 06:12 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Carbon Blue
I cannot wait for this brake kit to come out! I hope to be one of the first few in line!. This is a stretch, but is there an option to have the stoptech lettering on the caliper done in black instead of red? Thanks again so much for putting in all the time and effort that goes into bringing a product like this to reality. Its still great to know that companies still back an out of production car such as the s2000.

-Carlo
Hey Carlo,

The calipers have already been purchased and delivered, so the logo lettering is finalized as the same design and colors that you'd see on a trophy kit. I can ask if there's a way to strip the coloring altogether, but I doubt it.

In regards to the rest of your comment, this kit was something I was designing for myself. I wanted the braking performance of the best motorsports-level kits out there, but I wanted to optimize the kit as much as possible to maximize the value I'd get from consumables. At the end of the day, we realized that this is something that wasn't currently on the market, and that would probably be well received. This was almost three years ago. Since then, a ton of "value" brake kits have been released for the car, but nothing that combined the levels of performance I was shooting for. I think the market will react favorably to this kit, as it's not something created to fill a void in a product lineup, but is a kit designed by enthusiasts, for enthusiasts.
adrs2k (06-25-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 06:30 AM

Received 189 Likes on 116 Posts

Everything about this kit keeps making it sound better and better. I love the idea that enthusiasts got together and are focused on putting together the best kit possible and its not just an off the shelf kit.

Not sure if you have mentioned it before, but what were your thoughts and considerations for wheel fitment"? Is this kit aimed at die hard track enthusiasts that probably already have massaged fenders and lower offset wheels like some kits? Or is this kit focused more for everyone and trying to fit as many wheels as possible? With my car and wheel package I am very limited in BBK options and I have been holding out all these years on a BBK because I have not really found something that truly works for me (simple bolt on kit). The current Trophy Kit I know will fit my wheels with a 3mm spacer which is actually really good and from testing fitting a 3mm spacer I shouldn't have any issues up front with my fenders but I would love to not have to run a spacer (which is a really tall ask with a +63 wheel).
Old 06-25-2018, 12:46 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by adrs2k
Everything about this kit keeps making it sound better and better. I love the idea that enthusiasts got together and are focused on putting together the best kit possible and its not just an off the shelf kit.

Not sure if you have mentioned it before, but what were your thoughts and considerations for wheel fitment"? Is this kit aimed at die hard track enthusiasts that probably already have massaged fenders and lower offset wheels like some kits? Or is this kit focused more for everyone and trying to fit as many wheels as possible? With my car and wheel package I am very limited in BBK options and I have been holding out all these years on a BBK because I have not really found something that truly works for me (simple bolt on kit). The current Trophy Kit I know will fit my wheels with a 3mm spacer which is actually really good and from testing fitting a 3mm spacer I shouldn't have any issues up front with my fenders but I would love to not have to run a spacer (which is a really tall ask with a +63 wheel).
Hey Adam. The kit is definitely aimed primarily at die-hard track enthusiasts. First and foremost, we wanted to make something tailored for the weekend warrior going out there beating on his or her car and expecting a brake system that just worked well, something that the end user wouldn't have to worry about using hard. The most important factors we considered when putting this kit together were consumables life, heat management, and caliper performance (not necessarily in that order). However, going to the STR43 gave us the opportunity to try and optimize wheel fitment as much as possible. The STR43 is a good bit narrower overall than an ST40 caliper, and it has a shorter profile. This allows for more freedom than almost any other brake kit in regards to wheel selection. For instance, the kit will fit a +63 Advan RSII (ahem) without a spacer, along with the TSW Nurburgring wheels that a lot of the budget-minded track guys like to use. I'm sure there are a bunch of wheels I'm forgetting. In terms of pure wheel fitment, it's not a revolutionary product (before anyone asks, it's not going to fit a 17x9 +45 RPF-1 haha), but it's a good bit better than anything else on the market that's worth buying. Ultimately, we based the design around a Stoptech rotor because that was about as far inboard that we were willing to move the rotor ring to avoid contacting the knuckle extrusions, and we still saw a 5mm reduction in horizontal profile when compared to an ST40 kit. 5mm may not seem like a ton, but for people like you it means not running a wheel spacer. Also, the mass of the caliper is optimized to be as far outboard as possible, which allows for more spoke clearance than an ST40 kit, and WAY more than say an Essex kit, which locates the caliper far closer to the hub because it uses a smaller rotor.

Hope that helps!
The following 5 users liked this post by Ricky_Flowers_:
adrs2k (07-03-2018), arsenal (06-27-2018), freddydela (12-25-2021), pastoli (07-03-2018), Vboy (06-25-2018)

Quick Reply: Ricky's semi-legitimate, kinda dumb build thread.