Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Ricky's semi-legitimate, kinda dumb build thread.

Old 06-28-2018, 02:52 PM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Ricky,

Was wondering if you could share the part numbers to all coolant hoses?

Cheers,
Alex
Old 06-29-2018, 05:12 AM
Community Organizer

Received 213 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by manystyles
Ricky,

Was wondering if you could share the part numbers to all coolant hoses?

Cheers,
Alex
I don't have them. I called AFHParts in New England and told them to throw them all in the bag.
Old 06-29-2018, 06:42 AM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Yup, about to do the same!
Old 07-02-2018, 08:04 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Hey RIcky
got another question regarding the bbk, since your s2k still sees the street, what street pads are you on?
Do you have any issues with the hat rattling against the rotor ring since it is "fully floating"?
What is the hat made from? 6061 aluminum?
Are knock back springs included? I believe AP racing charges an additional 140$ for a set.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:39 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Carbon Blue
Hey RIcky
got another question regarding the bbk, since your s2k still sees the street, what street pads are you on?
Do you have any issues with the hat rattling against the rotor ring since it is "fully floating"?
What is the hat made from? 6061 aluminum?
Are knock back springs included? I believe AP racing charges an additional 140$ for a set.
I keep the race pads I use on track in the calipers all the time, so they squeal. Apart from that, I haven't noticed any unusual noises from the kit whatsoever.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:08 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

this build is still going.....dang ricky
Old 10-15-2018, 10:11 AM
Community Organizer

Major Update!

I finally got the final production brake rotors and caliper brackets on the car from V8 Roadsters. I'm EXTREMELY happy with the design and finishes of the kit, especially the electroless nickel finish hats mine came with. The nickel finish should prove to be more resilient to heat and weather than the anodized Stoptech trophy hats are, and they look MUCH better as well. Overall, I'm over the moon with the brakes and am so happy to have put the time and effort into making this dream a reality.

Here are some photos of the brakes installed:

Nickel finish and Stoptech STR43 grey: a match made in heaven!

The nickel finish looks nice behind the gunmetal Prodrives. Not too flashy, but nicer than your average brake kit.

I also added this Arvou black anodized tow hook to the front of the car. The last time I ran the car out of gas on track (lol I need to stop doing that) the wrecker's hook was too big for the OEM tow hook, so I had to get flat-bedded off the track. This should solve that issue.

Another reason I got the tow hook is because I FINALLY got the J's lip and bumper painted, and it's just not quite right to run that bumper without the fixed tow hook. A local friend did the bodywork to fix some damage on the lip, as well as the paint, and results are absolutely stunning. I also had him paint and fit my Challenge dry carbon trunk spoiler. Check it out:

Overall, the bumper "works" better than I ever could have dreamed, and is offset by the muted color and simple wheels perfectly. I'm happy with the overall look of the bumper with the JDM headlights, the painted Craft Squares (Now with Sebring Silver mirror bases), the color-matched roll bar, brake kit, and newly installed and painted Challenge trunk spoiler. Overall, it gives off the tough, more-than-meets-the-eye street car vibe that I always dreamed of, and it only hints at the car's performance rather than shouting about it. Even though this car is a track car, it still has to be able to blend in when my girlfriend and I take it to the beach, or when we take it on holiday to the mountains, which means no crazy aero, no wild colors, no stupid ass LED light board tail lights..... just subtle, restrained aggression. I think that's what's been achieved here, and I wouldn't change a single thing. I can't wait to see it with some track numbers and CE28Ns on it in November....

I also made the switch from 2002-03 tail lights to 2000-01 lights. I have always hated that little chrome ring that the AP1 V2 tails had, but it's been so low on my list of priorities with the car I never really considered changing them. However, while at the body shop, a tow truck backed into the car and luckily only made contact with a tail light. I took it as a sign and finally made the switch. It's a tiny detail that 95% of people wouldn't notice, but it makes a world of difference for me.

There's not much of anything left to do to the exterior of the car. I'm attempting to source an ASM spoiler to replace the Challenge spoiler that's on the car now. Although it fits about 90% perfect, the fact that it's not exactly as nice as the real deal bothers the hell out of me, so it's coming off as soon as I get the replacement. I'd like to get the windshield header re-wrapped in black vinyl eventually as it's showing its age, and do all the exterior moldings at the same time. That's a few hundred dollars worth of rubber, though, so I'm going to hold off for now because I'd like to turn my efforts to the interior of the car now that the paint work has been done. I have another Momo Supercup to install, and I'm going to re-upholster them both in some combination of either black or dark brown leather, with either alcantara or perforated leather centers. I am considering having the door cards and armrest re-done to match.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ricky_Flowers_:
Bullwings (10-18-2018), fnee (10-13-2021)
Old 10-15-2018, 10:26 AM

Received 189 Likes on 116 Posts

Car looks so good! I think you absolutely nailed restrained aggression.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:55 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by adrs2k
Car looks so good! I think you absolutely nailed restrained aggression.
Thanks bud! I'm so happy with the way the car came out. I spec'd the car out to satisfy my personal tastes, but it's pretty cool to hear and see the reaction the car has gotten thus far from my friends and people on Instagram. Just goes to show you don't need crazy bodywork or a ton of crappy titanium dress-up parts to stand out. Less is more!
Old 10-15-2018, 03:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Car looks good, i like what you did! Those are some of my favorite wheel's for the s2k. Nice job!

Quick Reply: Ricky's semi-legitimate, kinda dumb build thread.