Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

S2000 street driven TT car build

Old 04-25-2018, 04:38 AM

Received 101 Likes on 62 Posts

I also had great luck with the VIRB 30 camera. It proved to be much better then the GoPro. The physical on/record switch was a big help when all geared up and strapped in. The OBD and the external mic worked great and I created a template using the VIRB software that made overlays quick and easy.

The following users liked this post:
Kenny_Stang (04-25-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 07:37 PM

Haven't updated this in a while due to tons of work travel and cramming some track weekends in between.

All packed up and ready to go to Summit Point for my first TT of the year. We had only 2 cars in TT4 so I jumped to TT5 with a buddy to make a class of 5. I run Hoosier contingency and it requires a class minimum of 5. The S2000 is seriously out gunned in TT4 but depending on the track and who shows up we can have a chance in these cars. To make my car optimally setup for TT4, I would have to take out 400lbs or so. I kept my car in TT5 trim minus 25lbs of ballast for TT4. It was a great weekend with some great driving. There was a great showing of S2000s this weekend so we took an opportunity to grab a picture of them together.

On another note, you will be seeing alot of pictures of my buddy Mike's red AP1 and Kyle's Silverstone AP2 from now on. They are my good friends who came to Hyperfest with me last year as guests and got the S2000 bug. They both built basically the same S2000 as mine over the winter and now we have 3 awesome well setup balanced cars. It's going to be a lot of fun battling all year long in similar cars!

I busted out my best at Summit Point of a 1:20.76 on Hoosier R7s. I was super excited about this and think in optimal conditions with better driving that I might be able to break into the 1:19 range in TT5 trim. I still have alot of improvements to make on my driving and will go for the 1:19 once it gets cooler again in the fall. I also was able to beat my old personal best on 100TW tires and ran a 1:23.24 on RC1s. Thats a full half second faster than last time I was out. I was able to place 1st both Saturday and Sunday and won some Hoosiers, Raybestos pads and rotors, Winding Road bucks, and some AST credits so overall a great weekend.

After inspecting my car after Summit I saw some very uneven pad wear on one of the rears. I had a sticking caliper which unfortunately overheated my Urge 2 piece rotor and caused it crack. I got 112 sessions out of these rotors before cracking and could have gotten way more if it wasn't for the sticking caliper.

2 weeks later Kyle, Mike, and I headed up to NJMP Lightning. Another good weekend with some awesome weather. We did 2 sessions on Friday just for a shake down. I don't really love Lightning and it is really hard on tires so I wasn't super excited about the weekend. I did get into a good grove by lunchtime Saturday and started enjoying myself. Again, there weren't enough cars in TT5 so I had to jump way up to TT3. I was holding 1st all day until the last session when some GTS3 BMWs jumped in and killed me by 1 and 3 seconds respectively. I was still happy with 3rd given I was running a TT5 car in TT3. On Sunday, I wanted to try to set the TT5 lap record so I went out as the only car in class. I posted a respectable 1:14.5 which wasn't as good as my 1:13.8 on Saturday but good enough to beat the first TT5 lap record by 7 seconds that someone set on Saturday. Mike passed his TT check ride and I met some really cool S2000 drivers who are getting started in TT as well over the weekend. I attached an old picture here of Mike and I back in 2011 or so when we had some Miatas comparing out setups today.

The new trailer I bought this year for only $1950 new was a bit of a pain in the ass. It was excessively long for the S2000 which I could live with but the fenders were so high that I couldn't open the door all the way which was unacceptable. It was also had single axle brakes which wasn't ideal. I sold it and picked up an awesome new (used) open car trailer. This one is built rock solid, has a box, a winch, and dual axle brakes. Most importantly, I can open my door fully so that makes the whole setup a lot easier to deal with. I have a few hours after work each day to prep for Hyperfest which is my next even in 2 weeks. The car doesn't need much other then a inspection, oil change, and diff fluid change. I'll be on work travel again next week and get back into town on Thursday, load up, and drive to VIR! Hyperfest is a huge NASA event at VIR and we already have 7 cars registered for TT5.

Kenny_Stang (05-09-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 07:42 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Are you running the same wing stands as they come with?
Old 05-10-2018, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Chibo
Are you running the same wing stands as they come with?

It's an eBay wing. 290MM stands that it came with.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:27 AM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Sickdayracing
It's an eBay wing. 290MM stands that it came with.
I was also looking at the same Kadean wing, which is why I was curious Thanks.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:31 AM

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

There was another thread whether owners whom owned the Kadean wing and complained about the clear coming off really fast, and the carbon turning yellow.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by RussianHammer
There was another thread whether owners whom owned the Kadean wing and complained about the clear coming off really fast, and the carbon turning yellow.
I have the ebay one and my friend has the real one. The real one has yellowed and the clear is coming off. Mine is in perfect condition still after 1.5 years.
Chibo (05-10-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 09:12 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Given that you tried Spec Miata, why did you leave the second most competitive class of amateur road racing in the US?
Old 05-27-2018, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
Given that you tried Spec Miata, why did you leave the second most competitive class of amateur road racing in the US?
Bought the car with the intention of racing it but just never got around to it. Also, the car was boring.
Old 05-27-2018, 06:38 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Sickdayracing
Bought the car with the intention of racing it but just never got around to it. Also, the car was boring.
But why didn't you race it? Why would a car in fender-to-fender racing be boring compared to a car in lightly populated time trial class? In not Spec Miata, why not SRF3? Either would be real racing for what should be a similar cost (or less).

Quick Reply: S2000 street driven TT car build