Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

S2000 street driven TT car build

Old 09-06-2018, 11:07 AM

Received 563 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by Sickdayracing
I haven’t updated this in a while because I thought people stopped reading it but I guess they are.
This is in my top 3 build threads that I follow and read. I don't always comment though.

Thanks for the updates

I also got a set of SA-72R in 17x9.5. I was really tempted to try 17x10.5 +44 but was worried about being able to fit them on stock fenders. I was on the recent group buy for 17x10 949s and backed out after they had problems fulfilling the order.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:11 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Same here, as a track guy I’ve been following your build and progression. My goal too, was to build a street track car. As speed progresses, it’s harder to keep it street friendly
Old 09-09-2018, 02:42 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Just to keep the apples and oranges separate, this is a photo from earlier in the thread:

Old 09-09-2018, 03:13 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
Just to keep the apples and oranges separate, this is a photo from earlier in the thread:
To be fair, I don't think OP can change the thread titles anymore. The new software killed that option.

Is that your point David? That's it's no longer a street driven car?

A cage, a halo seat, a roll bar, air bag delete, slicks ..... any one of these mods kinda kills the streetability of the car IMHO.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:51 PM

If you read through, you would have seen this.

Originally Posted by Sickdayracing
So there has been a drastic change in plans. Unfortunately I've been spending a lot of time in the hospital taking care of my father and I've had a lot of time to reflect. This is a very risky hobby. I work in the aviation business and we are constantly evaluating risk and mitigating it for everything we do.

I came the conclusion that I have a tow vehicle, I have a trailer, and I don't have any financial constraints that would prevent me from getting a cage. I really prefer to keep my car how it is because it is setup as a very fast but comfortable enough street car but at this point I'm driving way too fast and way too often to keep taking this risk. While I'm not wheel to wheel racing, I am only a single flip or a spin into a exposed tree at Summit Point away from being seriously injured or worse.

This isn't a risk I am willing to take anymore for a hobby. I'm hanging up my "street car" cred and going fully caged. The process has started and the car will be going in for the cage in the first week of March.
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/automoti.../#post24417591

Old 09-12-2018, 07:21 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullwings
If you read through, you would have seen this.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/automoti.../#post24417591
I saw that...and if you read the post above mine it talks about driving the car on the street. The picture illustrates all the points in the post you referenced.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:37 PM

I saw that...and if you read the post above mine it talks about driving the car on the street. The picture illustrates all the points in the post you referenced.
I did. Did you?

Originally Posted by circuitclub
Same here, as a track guy I’ve been following your build and progression. My goal too, was to build a street track car. As speed progresses, it’s harder to keep it street friendly
I'm gonna stop here and prevent myself from further pissing on this awesome build thread.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:02 AM

Received 101 Likes on 62 Posts

My contingency winnings from the VIR came in the other week. It's always a great feeling to come home to 4 brand new and free Hoosiers sitting in front of your garage. Another win meant another set of ST47 pads. Raybestos contingency only allows you to order stuff that they stock. 1st place gets you a set of pads and rotors and 3rd gets you pads only. They even pay for 5th with basic street pads. Since I don't need any rotors that they stock for the S2000 I have been ordering rotors for my other vehicles from them. So far I got a full set of rotors for my daily driver Prius and a set of rear rotors for my Tundra. I'm happy to report that the ST47 work just as well as my beloved XP12 setup but the wear rate so far appears to be much better.

A couple other goodies that came in that I am testing are the Baero end plates and rear brake ducts sold on this site (https://baero.tech). I've been meaning to do rear ducts for a while to help with hub/bearing life and I was going to do the vacuum nozzle method but these are really nice bolt on pieces. I was very careful to keep enough distance from my rear CV boot and the duct hose after seeing my friend have a CV boot failure from the rear hose rubbing the CV boot.

I have to be very careful with which modifications I pick and choose because of classing. While TT5 is very open to modifications, things like my offset ball joints make me take on extra. I'll be changing those out to offset bushings which are a zero points modification so I can reduce some ballast weight. The NASA rules requires that your tire fits in their special 266MM wide template to be legal. The 225 Hooser R7 fits into the template on a 10" wheel no problem (my old setup). The Maxxis 255 also fits. As I mentioned, I have to be careful with what I mod so I am always trying to find ways to go faster without taking points. The 245 Hoosier works ideally on a 10" wheel from what I am told but does not fit the 266mm template. I put my new 245s on a my 9" Wedsport TC105N's which is supposed to fit the template. The tire doesn't really look squeezed and the contact patch is larger then the 225 on a 9.5" wheel that I have pictured here. People say that going to the 245's is faster on some tracks and not on others then the 225 due to the gearing change and some aero drag created by the bigger wheel. I will be testing this first hand for myself. I don't see any situation where the 245 will be slower but I'll report my results over the next few events. Also, just for information sake, the 245 R7 on a 9" TC105N is 37.4lbs vs a 225 R7 on a 17x9.5 SA72R which was 41.6. Both of these tires are about 5lbs lighter then a Maxxis RC1.

I have a few more track days before winter coming up. I have a WGI with NASA NE in a few weeks, followed by VIR with NASA MA the week after, then a 3 week trip Germany (driving the ring), and then I return for our final event with NASA ME at Summit Point in November. I'm really excited about all the seat time after taking basically the whole summer off.

I also started the S2000 track time database you can find in my signature. If you are a track guy and following this thread, please go ahead and enter your times in there. It doesn't matter if its a slow time or a fast time. The database includes driver experience level so people can go see what works and what doesn't as well as compare times to other drivers with their experience level.

Old 10-03-2018, 08:28 AM

Received 101 Likes on 62 Posts

Watkins Glen is about 6 hours from me and is one of my more rarely driven tracks even though it is probably my favorite. I drive it once a year and it has been almost a year since I've been back. Lesson learned, when going to a place you don't drive often make sure you run the Friday practice day to get up to speed. I only opted for Sat/Sun this event. Saturday's morning practice session was a terrible since there was no grid order and I sat in traffic. During the second session I was able to not get any clean laps. The one decent lap I had required me to slow down at the end for a car exiting to the pit. The 3rd session was black flagged immediately for a car stuck in a turn on the out lap. That left me one good session at the end to mount my sticker 245/40/17 R7s on and go all out. I wasn't happy with my time but the 2:10.3 was good enough for the lap record and a win. The second day was raining the first 3 sessions so I didn't even bother going out the 1st 2. During the last session the track conditions were poor and I did a 2:11 which was also good enough for 1st. I wasn't happy with my personal times but they were good enough for 1st place both days which paid out a fresh set of Hoosiers, set of front rotors, new set of Raybestos ST47 pads, and $75 Winding Road credit.

The best part of the weekend was being able to hang out with some great S2000 friends at an awesome track. Couple of things to note. My ST47 pads have 21 sessions on them and barely have any wear. I included a picture to show how they look compared to a new set. Also, the 245/40/17 R7 will not fit on a 9.5" wheel and pass the NASA 266MM section width template but it will work on a 9.

One other thing that happened was I was impounded and sent to the dyno after my last run. I never had this happen before and was a bit nervous because all dynos read just a little bit different. I ended up dynoing 209WHP Peak/ 188WHP average to the 215WHP Peak/ 199whp average that I claimed so I was good to go!

Last edited by Sickdayracing; 10-03-2018 at 08:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Kenny_Stang (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 08:59 AM
Community Organizer

Received 217 Likes on 138 Posts

I take it you're a fan of the ST47 performance? I'm currently running G-Loc R16/12s and they're.... okay. I'd like something with the initial bite of a HAwk DTC-60, but without the insane, corrosive brake dust. What are your thoughts?

Quick Reply: S2000 street driven TT car build